You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Reds chase towering frontman?

tlw content

The Reds continue to be linked with a January move for Anzhi Makhachkala's giant striker Lacina Traore after the Ivorian was reportedly made available by the cash strapped Russian club.

The 6ft 8in Traore scored against Liverpool in the Europa League last season and according to various reports is high on Brendan Rodgers' January shopping list. Anzhi's financial woes have seen them cash in on other stars such as Willian and Samuel Eto'o, and Traore could be the next one to be sacrificed after his agent revealed: “If a good offer arrives that suits us then Lacina is free to leave in January. The demand for him is huge in Russia and especially in Europe.”

Rodgers is thought to be on the lookout for another striker after the less than stellar start made by Iago Aspas, but a 6ft 8in frontman would be quite a change in tack for a manager who has always valued movement and mobility above physical and aerial prowess in his strikers.

So, would Traore be a useful addition to the squad?

Click here to view the article

Goalscoring record not great.

138 games, 51 goals.

The goal he scored against us was through Coates and Jones being crap.  Don't really remember too much about him other than that goal.

I wouldn't be in favour, there are much better options out there for me.

I'm not sure about this. He's decent enough, but buying 'decent enough' players has been our folly in recent years. The bulk of our signings should fall into one of two categories: 

1. Buy players who are a clear improvement on what we have and will go into the first team

2. Buy young players - some won't make it, which is the reality of not being able to shop solely in the 'finished article' market; some will make it; and one or two rare ones may even go on to become world class players if we buy the better young players and develop them well

Buying decent-ish players that fall into neither of these two categories costs a lot of money and doesn't really help the club to make progress. It will end up bloating the wage bill again, with no real discernible addition to the quality on the pitch. No thanks. 

Goalscoring record not great.

138 games, 51 goals.

The goal he scored against us was through Coates and Jones being crap.  Don't really remember too much about him other than that goal.

I wouldn't be in favour, there are much better options out there for me.

Yeah but would they want to start games, surely sometimes its about the team cohesion, its surely a third option we need, would add a bit of height to the team but more than likely would be content to sit on the bench and work his way in from there. Assuming we keep Suarez we already have two ace forwards we want to compliment rather than break up  them two? Surprising really but Rioddy has a shoddy record with strikers thus far, Kenny bought Luis, Sturridge, he didnt want initially and was only signed when the committee had assumed control of transfers, and then he seemingly has signed Aspas and Borini so maybe questions should be posed on his judgement in that area.

Or maybe you have another player or two in mind that offers that but is better than him, hard to consider if ye dont name names. Have it on my desk by Friday and I'll consider it.

I take your point Dennis, but if we're going to stick with this system (which I hope we do) and play with two strikers, we need to have three top ones, especially if we get top four and have the extra games next season.

Plus none of us know what will happen with Suarez either.  I'd rather get a top player in than another Borini/Aspas type who just isn't going to cut it.

I take your point Dennis, but if we're going to stick with this system (which I hope we do) and play with two strikers, we need to have three top ones, especially if we get top four and have the extra games next season.

Plus none of us know what will happen with Suarez either.  I'd rather get a top player in than another Borini/Aspas type who just isn't going to cut it.

Tim Vickery was saying on the World Football phone-in that in an interview he'd done recently Cavani told him Suarez was convinced Real Madrid were going to make a move in January. I'd be gutted if we didn't get the rest of this season out of him.

Defoe or someone of that ilk would be a decent option. Not much of a footballer, but we need someone who will maybe come on for 10-20 minutes and nick a goal. I'm sure there's loads better options that Defoe, but paying top coin for someone to sit on the bench isn't going to happen. 

Saying that Sturridge has had injury problems in the past and Suarez will probably be off next year even if we do make CL, but if we're going to buy someone to eventually replace Suarez maybe we'd be better off doing it in the summer and getting a midfielder and wide man in during January. 

As for this lanky bugger, I'd be happy for the right price. He's talented from what I've see and would be a decent option to bring on. Not as physical of someone like Lukaku but he'd still bang some in I reckon.