You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Toure proved too good?

Dave D

I know you could apply the old cliche "its a nice headache to have" but I think we've given ourselves a potential bloody migraine with how good Toure has been and then signing Sakho.  

Having made him vice captain coupled with his new ability to stay fit I cant see how Agger wont be first choice. Rightly so in my book.

Toure has proved a revelation. The man has the makings of a legend. He seems to have re-discovered his hunger and desire and seems to be falling as much in love with us as we are with him,  We were playing him every week and it must have really lifted his confidence. Should he not play, or get shunted out to full back I can see that infectious enthusiasm diminishing, which would be criminal. For me, he had become a figurehead, a symbol of the new era, bringing a real freshness to the backline, and you could see that even Agger was looking up to him and learning. 

That brings us to Sakho- he simply has to play as FSG will be very keen to see what they got for their money, they're "marquee" summer signing according to Ayre. He must have had assurances he would play or he would have stayed put at PSG?  

Something has to give- unless Sakho can player DM?

I can only see 2 outcomes, barring injuries- Sakho doesnt cut it and buggers off (which would not sit well with FSG)  or we reluctantly drop Toure with the bigger picture in mind.

My gut feeling says you play Toure and Agger, but surely if Sakho does not play this weakens Rodgers own position when it comes to knocking on the door for Transfer money in January?

I 100% hope Im wrong, but I think signing Sakho was made with the best intentions but I think its going to potentially disrupt any chance of a stable pairing developing, in turn, effecting Mignolet.

It reminds me a little of the time we signed Kirkland and Dudek. Both in good signings in their own right but how was it sensible to buy them both. 

Toure looks the best centre back at the club to me.  Although Sakho might change that opinion, as he's only had a few games.

Agger is the biggest disappointment.  Made far too many mistakes last season and he has already made two clear mistakes this season that have cost us goals, amongst some other dodgy defending.

For me Toure and Sakho should be the number 1 pairing.

• Upvote 2

It's a difficult one for Rodgers.  Ideally he'd probably like to just bin Skrtel off, but after playing as well as he did against United and Swansea that wouldn't send out a very good message.

I think he fudged it by sticking Toure and Sakho at full back just to shoehorn them in the side and remove the problem of who to leave out.

Agger shouldn't be involved on Wednesday as he clearly has an injury and it's not worth risking him when we have other options.

I want to see Toure and Sakho paired together on Wednesday, for a number of reasons.  Firstly, Toure deserves to be in the side, secondly Sakho needs games to get comfortable, and thirdly, with Sakho not being fluent in English yet Toure would be ideal alongside him as he can communicate with him in French if necessary.

It's a difficult one for Rodgers. Ideally he'd probably like to just bin Skrtel off, but after playing as well as he did against United and Swansea that wouldn't send out a very good message.

I think he fudged it by sticking Toure and Sakho at full back just to shoehorn them in the side and remove the problem of who to leave out.

Agger shouldn't be involved on Wednesday as he clearly has an injury and it's not worth risking him when we have other options.

I want to see Toure and Sakho paired together on Wednesday, for a number of reasons. Firstly, Toure deserves to be in the side, secondly Sakho needs games to get comfortable, and thirdly, with Sakho not being fluent in English yet Toure would be ideal alongside him as he can communicate with him in French if necessary.

Can't argue with that logic of Toure and Sakho.

You should earn the right to start - throughout the side. With no Europe, every game we play in the league and both cups are first team, best team affairs. Both Toure and Agger have already missed games - it happens and will continue to. Very happy to have any of those three together at the back tbh.

Skrtel will be gone in January.

Toure was by far our best CB until now. He was class in everygame he strated, and is 1st choice without a doubt.

Skrtel was also excellent against Scum and Swans, and really solid against Soton (bar that one brain fart)...so probably he shoul be the other one starting...

But...Martin is the way back for Brendan, Sakho the way forward, and Agger vice-captain,who is in very bad form for almost half a season now, but seems undroppable in Brendan´s eyes, as was proved when he was awful between December and March.

So I think BR will usually go with Toure - Agger, with Skrtel behind Toure, and Sakho behind Agger. Even if their rating based on current form is 1.Toure 2. Skrtel 3. Sakho 4.Agger

We looked so solid with Toure and Agger. Sakho has only played 2 games, so unfair to judge him in such a scrutinised position. I think he's a really good player, potentially awesome, but he doesn't have the immediate finesse of Agger (despite form until 2 games with Toure), and if we're going to be a passing side, Agger adds a lot to that. For me it's Toure and Agger. Sakho has to earn the right to dislodge Agger. I like Skrtel but he's probably not going to be happy to be understudy long term, and if we can recoup most of the Sakho outlay we will look a bit more balanced again.

We're a passing team laden with non passing players at the moment.

We're a passing team laden with non passing players at the moment.

This is a crucial issue. Agger's strengh (and Llori's) is to distribute the ball from the back. Is it Sakho's? I don't know yet, but if he is no better than Skrtel at passing it out, then he will not last much longer, i fear. I hope he can do it, and offer competition for Agger so he stays on his toes.

• Downvote 1

Toure's clearly not a long term solution, but the dilemma for Rogers, as it would be for any manager is the age old 'do I play the best player on any given day' (at the potential expense of denying another player experience), or do I take the hit with a lesser player, but know I'm investing experience into him, in the hope he's a better long term bet.

I think for clubs that can afford to do it, it's better to let the younger lad gain experience, but it's not as if Liverpool's center backs are youngsters coming through the ranks, or that they're short of experience, so given that, I think Rogers is doing the right thing in playing Toure as long as he's fit enough to play. With a bit of luck, he might pass on some of his ability, or at least others will watch and learn.

Even if Toure doesn't last the season week in week out, it will have illustrated the importance of this role, and what a difference it can make with a quality CB... just like they say you don't know what you've got until it's missing... the same can be said for, you don't know what you HAVE been missing until you bring in a better player.

Agger (especially) but Skrtel too, aren't bad players. It's not like they are complete donkeys. So there should be lots of hope that a bit of competition for them, plus some experience handed down will cause them to up their game. If not?... then Rogers will know that there's no place for them in the first team once Liverpool improve further (and they get left behind).

It's early days yet though, and I think he has problems with fitness / weight... but he might also be one of those players who manages to keep it under control by playing first team football... so you never know your luck!

• 2 months later...

Is it just me that frets whenever Toure and Sakho are left on the bench? When Agger and Skrtel are dropped Im not too fussed. I just cant see Sakho or Toure putting up with it for long. They represent a new level for me, proven quality alligned with a rough diamond that can learn his trade from a pro like Toure. Be interesting to see what comes in January, but something surely has to give 

After the money paid for Sakho and how he played for France in the week I cant see how he cant be getting in our side.     

whilst Kolo obviously joined us to play, I think at his age he will accept not being an automatic choice, Skrtel is probably the one in the best form all season so far despite everyone thinking he'd leave last summer and whilst on paper Agger and Sakho are probably the best two they are both left footed which you hardly ever see and Agger hasn't been brilliant lately (nor as bad as some make out however)

at the moment I'd probably be going with Skrtel and one of the two lefties depending on opposition, I think Sakho would've been the man yesterday for me against someone like Lukaku however against less physical strikers it'd probably be Agger, who knows though in a month it could be a totally different scenario and whilst its great to have such good options I wouldn't like to be the one having to leave some of them out, thats without even mentioning the 20 year old £7million signing who hasn't played yet and the injured Coates who I rate more than most seem to!

From what I've seen Toure, Sakho and Agger are the three best CBs at the club. If Sakho and Agger work together, I really can't see why not even if they're both left footed, we should go for those two as they're more likely to be a long term stable solution. Very hard on Toure as he may be the best of them all at the moment, but I just have this feeling that he will never be ever present over a long period.

I know a lot rate Skrtel more than I do, fair enough, but I never thought he was good enough.

Sell Agger to one of the mythical clubs who get mentioned but never bid for him.He isnt nearly as good as people make out and them who say sell him for 20 to 25 million. He is great at carrying the ball out of defence and maybe thats why people rate him. He is worth around 12 million and if we held out maybe somebody would pay 15 million for him.

As a defender he is very average and he dosent score anything like the amount of goals he should. He is also one of the worst defenders I have seen for positional placing in my life.

He is always on the wrong side if the player he is marking at set pieces. If he is watching for players making a run to head the ball from set pieces he rarly beats them to the ball.

From corners it is rare for him to judge his jump for the ball right and nearly always jumps to early.

The list of faults goes on and on for him.

Agree with those that say we might need to sell a centre back.  Five centre backs is too many for a club with our resources, unless we're going to play three centre backs more often.

There's a law of diminishing returns on what each one brings to the first team, especially with no European or cup games until the new year.