You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Rodgers backing for struggling Aspas

tlw content

Brendan Rodgers admits it's been a difficult start for Iago Aspas, but has backed the struggling Spanish frontman to come good. “There’s no doubt it’s been difficult,” said Rodgers.

“When you are the player who scores goals you want that goal to give you that confidence and obviously he hasn’t got that yet."

Aspas once again failed to make any real impact in the weekend loss to Southampton at Anfield, being replaced at half time by Raheem Sterling as the Reds crashed to a disappointing loss. “It was difficult for him to get in the game" explained Rodgers. "We flipped it about a bit in the first half in triangles to try and get him on the ball a bit more. He’ll continue to work hard.

“Iago is a good boy, and honest boy and he’s obviously been thrown in a bit quicker than he’s had to have been.

“But he’s a good guy, he’s working hard and trying his best so hopefully over time he’ll get his goals and make the impact we think he can.”

Click here to view the article

I have nothing against Aspas, but right now it's difficult to see how loaning out Borini and bringing him in (for another 8m pounds) was sound strategy.  If thrifty transactions is the name of the game, then the scouting needs to be on its game.  Sturridge and Coutinho were obviously good buys; where Fabio and Iago are concerned, though, we're minus almost 20m pounds.  There is such a thing as trying so hard to save money that you end up wasting more through 2-3 cheap but failed transfers than you would have had you brought the right high-priced player.

• Upvote 3

He looks exactly like what he is. A player struggling to get to grips with a new league. Whether he has the quality or will ever show it I don't know. But hes just looked lost at times in my opinion. 

Still so early though.

Some players hit the ground running, others don't and take some time. 

What I would like to see though is him on the bench for a few games now and introduce him back in gradually. 

I have nothing against Aspas, but right now it's difficult to see how loaning out Borini and bringing him in (for another 8m pounds) was sound strategy. If thrifty transactions is the name of the game, then the scouting needs to be on its game. Sturridge and Coutinho were obviously good buys; where Fabio and Iago are concerned, though, we're minus almost 20m pounds. There is such a thing as trying so hard to save money that you end up wasting more through 2-3 cheap but failed transfers than you would have had you brought the right high-priced player.

Hate to say it but this is where the mancs have been pretty good over the last decade. Just spend the 20-30 mil on the quality player and stop fuckin about with 7-8 mil squad fillers in the hope they come good.

(disclaimer on Young, Jones...)

For me it's not even like he came with any real evidence that he can be good for us. I am 95% certain this will be another flop in the Borini mode. I can't think of a team in the league who have wasted as much money as us in the last 5 years. 

There isn't one on the planet. Its not even close.

• Upvote 1

If he's not in and around the box, he's not much good. The problem isn't so much Aspas as the way we've played.

Is correct. I think we all thought he looked good in pre-season but that was because of the style of play and not just the quality of the opposition.

He's a goal scorer when the chances are there. But we've created the square root of fuck all season so far so it hasn't helped him.

He defo needs to hit the gym though. Fuck me he makes Sterling look like a heavy weight fighter.

• Upvote 1

I know full well we all want him to come good but how many other players have we hoped and hoped and hoped for before it's too late to hope, we are 30 points behind the leaders and people (and the club) finally realise it was a bad move. 

Cole, Voronin, Aquilani, DOWNING (shudders) , etc etc etc. 

Too early for Aspas to cut our losses obviously but he has played far too much so far this season. If Gerrard played on the right instead of Aspas with a midfield of Henderson, Lucas and Allen we are winning that game. 

• Upvote 1

He won't come good.

He simply cant come good. Because he doesn't have any ability. Comparisons with crouch are fucking ludicrous. Crouch was a good player, regardless of goals. Aspas isn't and won't ever be.

File him away in the N'Gog, Voronin and Jovanovic drawer. It's tye one labelled "total fucking shite"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Xerxes, if we don't qualify for the champions league this season, Suarez is going, Gerrard is another year down the line, as is Toure, Agger will probably go, As will Coutinho, we need to replace Enrique and Johnson soon but will be shopping in the middle shelf for replacements for them.... in short, we will be fucked. 

Can we afford to give him time? No. Off the bench when in a comfortable position to help him or see if he has progressed.. yes, starting him in a game that can give you 13 points out of 15 and keep you top of the league before a visit to the Mancs in the league cup? No. 

Lets hope him being pulled at half time is a sign of Rodgers going "wait a minute, like I say, he looks like Ayre, hook him, he is shite ou kay" 

Arsespas

He's done nothing in any of his competitive games with us to make me want to see him in the first eleven any time soon. We might as well have started the first five games with ten men.

I thought (obviously wrong) that his reputation in Spain was something of a loony/100%/never-say die/give everything type of player. But he looks as if he'd lose a fight with a paper bag to me.

He won't come good.

He simply cant come good. Because he doesn't have any ability. Comparisons with crouch are fucking ludicrous. Crouch was a good player, regardless of goals. Aspas isn't and won't ever be.

File him away in the N'Gog, Voronin and Jovanovic drawer. It's tye one labelled "total fucking shite"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Great, good to know the "total shite" you refer to scored 12 goals in La Liga last year in a pretty awful team.

It's been 6 games. He didn't even play last week. Give him a chance.