You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

The comparison with Torres, Suarez and McManaman is a good one. These guys put in the time in their peak years and i think all of them could see that it probably wasn't going to happen for them here in terms of winning trophies. 

Sterling by comparison is only starting out and is a long way from the finished product. He still hasn't even delivered consistently for a season. I think that is whats different about this situation. I don't know is it cos he is still a kid or what but he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box in interviews, its like he is trying to remember the lines he was coached, whether its the mother or agent or whoever. It sounds forced. 

Chelsea would have bought him under Abrimovich's watch as he'd be a billy big bollocks signing, not Mourinho though IMO, can't see Spanish clubs wanting him, City possibly for the English quota as Milner looks to be on the way out.

Could even see the mancs going for him as they're all about image with their signings these days, buy my money is on arsenal. I reckon he's got a few mates in that dressing room plus I could see them putting a swap deal in place with a few players Rodgers might fancy plus cash.

I really do think the club is beyond reproach here, I don't think there's anything it can do to keep him, so I don't think it's about lack of ambition. He just doesn't want to play for us IMO.

translation: there are already quite a few black lads at arsenal

People saying this is the best place for his career are doing so because their opinion is that Rodgers and Liverpool will be best for his development.

But perhaps Sterling doesn't hold that opinion?

Maybe Sterling believes that Arsene Wenger is a better manager than Rodgers and will be better for his development. Maybe he believes Arsenal as a club will make better footballing decisions that won't leave him playing as a fucking right back all season. Maybe he believes Arsenal won't sell their best players and therefore see themselves floundering out of Europe. Maybe he wants to play against the best players in the world and the only way he can do that is to be in a team that consistently hits CL.

I don't agree that he should be thinking the above, but I couldn't begrudge him if he was. I'd still think he was a cunt, but he'd every right to argue those^ fairly valid points.

I hate football.

• Upvote 2

People saying this is the best place for his career are doing so because their opinion is that Rodgers and Liverpool will be best for his development.

Maybe Sterling believes that Arsene Wenger is a better manager than Rodgers and will be better for his development. Maybe he believes Arsenal as a club will make better footballing decisions that won't leave him playing as a fucking right back all season. Maybe he believes Arsenal won't sell their best players and therefore see themselves floundering out of Europe. Maybe he wants to play against the best players in the world and the only way he can do that is to be in a team that consistently hits CL.

I don't agree that he should be thinking the above, but I couldn't begrudge him if he was. I'd still think he was a cunt, but he'd every right to argue those^ fairly valid points.

I hate football.

Haha. He is a muppet if he believes that.

We should be getting more than £60 million if we do sell him.

Chelsea are being linked tonight.

Realistically City, Chelsea and Arsenal would go for him this summer if we did decide to sell him, anything less than £60 million would be a poor effort on our part.  

Seems the briefing has already started. We will take £50 million and work downwards.

Arsenal sell as many top players as we do, Van Persie, Nasri, Song and Fabregas will attest to that recently. Theres actually not much difference between the clubs in the last 10 years. We fell off massively after Rafa but we where ahead of them for most of Rafa's reign and we where ahead of them last season.

I can understand if he wants to live in London, but the winning more trophies argument is bullshit and he knows it.

I think he's close to the point of no return in many fans eyes, that bbc interview was plain weird.

On here maybe but not amongst most who don't follow every quote and look for minute nuances . Most will be happy that club say he's staying and expect it will get sorted out. 

It doesn't stack up based on seeing what other players of his age and level usually do. It's unprecedented to my mind. Someone mentioned Pogba but he was barely getting games and wasn't playing in his home country

Come on then, what's so unprecedented about it?

• Upvote 1

Im just left wondering how much longer I have to put up hearing and reading scholes and all the other journo cronies keep mentioning him going to a 'bigger' club or, that he should stay at Liverpool 'for the time being' like we're some sort of middlesbrough, derby county or leeds fucking united.

Just fuck off!

• Upvote 3

Sterling has to be one of the thickest cunt footballers going, just look and listen to the stupid cunt in that interview, complete fucking idiot doesn't even begin to describe it.

Fuck him and his T Rex arms, he won't be missed anywhere near as much as Suarez, Alonso, Mascherano, Owen, Mcmanaman and Torres.

• Upvote 1

I hate football.

He's played about one and a half games as right wingback!

• Upvote 1

First post in a long, long while.....

If we were offered £50M this summer...even by a premier league club I would snap their arm off...Reason: Raheem Sterling is 20 years old. Yes he is a good footballer, talented..no doubt about it. But that is it. He is not worth £50M I do not care what anyone says....

It boils down to if he wants to play for us or not....

If he has a choice, or a wants to go on to "bigger and better" things good luck to the greedy little cunt, we all know what that means.

Also if you don't understand the significance of him giving an interview without the clubs permission then you really haven't resigned yourself to the fact that he is off to someone that will pay him ridiculous wages....because no matter what he says its all about money.

I'd rather we give Kolo an extra few quid a week than pay this little prick more than he deserves....not as if we are shit with bringing youth through these days!!