You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Footballers will bankrupt their own profession, or more accurately, their agents will.

Considering the billions pumped into the sport through the new deal, it's not going to make any difference to teams if all the players decide to get paid twice as much as they are now.

I'd honestly rather LFC not take part in this.  Use the money wisely, build a big ass stadium, and keep the wages sensible.  Then when the sport falls apart and the TV deals go south, at least we've invested the windfall wisely and have a big stadium to generate income for decades to come.

Sterling's a decent player, and probably a decent lad, but he's not worth £100k a week of anyone's money.  City and Chelsea can pay it, go ahead, it really doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else.  Bless him, he's really had his head turned by his agent, and if he's not careful then he's going to buy into it and never be half the player he thought he could be. 

Imagine what the likes of Owen, Macca and Fowler could have demanded at age 20. 

I think Greg Dyke should be trying to regulate the role of agents in football, they are the silent killer lurking in the fog of money that surrounds the modern game.

• Upvote 2

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/raheem-sterling-brendan-rodgers-says-i-dont-want-money-to-ruin-youngster-8140031.html

Even back 3 years ago Rodgers was worried about Aidy Ward and his cuntish behaviour.  The same greed that has led him to leave his agency and set-up his own agency, culminating in another warning from Rodgers last month:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/09/liverpool-raheem-sterling-brendan-rodgers

Interestingly, Aidy Ward looked to leave his agency in late January, and the bumper TV rights deal was announced two weeks later.  The fucked knew it was coming, and knew he was sat on a goldmine with Sterling and Berahino, and could wring twice as much money from clubs for his 'clients'.

Shithouse Aidy Ward.

Great timing that. Unless we dig our heels in, he won't be at the club next season and I very much doubt he'll sign a new deal, irrespective of what's offered.

He'll end up at City and it'll be the worst decision he'll ever make.

Sounds like he has already made up his mind, thats what im getting from that interview.

If we would of came 4th last season and had the season we are having now, you could maybe understand Sterling wanting to see what options he has. 

But we came within one match of the title and everyone can see that we are going to be successful under Rodgers.

So after 2 full seasons as a first team professional, after being given his opportunity under Rodgers, he wants to see whats on offer? Its not like we are 6-7th and have no chance of top or winning this trophy this season. 

I would fight to keep the lad, but i think he has already made his mind up and will ask to leave in the summer. 

What a terrible interview.  He wants to "control the way he is perceived," does he?  He's certainly going about it all wrong.  As he says:

The public just think you want more and that's not the case at this moment in time. I'm just a kid that loves playing football.

Perhaps the public wouldn't think you want more if you weren't rejecting contract offers because you want more?

Looks like he's off. Let's hope it's not to a club like Arsenal, but more importantly, let's hope we can reinvest the money properly.

I think City have been in his ear for a while, he'll help with their quota problem but his career will stagnate. He's at the best club to develop further and he needs to, he hasn't made it yet.

But we came within one match of the title and everyone can see that we are going to be successful under Rodgers.

Maybe he can't, and he works with him every day. Maybe its the ambition of the owners.

Im no masssive fan of Sterling, but if he is driven by success and wants trophies and medals then fair play to him. I would rather have players who are hungry for success than players who are just happy to pick up a big wage.

He's obviously looked at our position in the league and is worried about not playing at the highest level. Maybe he is waiting to see if we finish in the champions league places. Maybe he like myself didnt like how we treated the European cup when we got in it.

Il be honest i wouldnt be surprised if Coutinho is next which i would be pissed off about.

But this isnt a new situation, its been happening ever since them other two yanks nearly took us to the brink.

Mascherano, Alonso,Arbeloa, Torres, Suarez, etc, all left to play at the highest level. If we want to start keeping these players we have to be competing for titles every season not just one year in 7.

Agreed.  He definitely would have stayed last year for less money than 100K a week but this year he would need more than 100K to stay.  But he just wants to play.  It is not about the money.

Sounds as though it's about the state of the club on the pitch. Which isn't that positive, really.

I don't think money is the main issue. He obviously wants to challenge for trophies like every young player should and playing a different position every other week probably isn't what he wants to be doing either. He's had no right to kick up a fuss so far but if come next season he didn't have a clear role in the team you could understand him thinking he might be better off moving on. 

I think City have been in his ear for a while, he'll help with their quota problem but his career will stagnate. He's at the best club to develop further and he needs to, he hasn't made it yet.

I reckon Wenger and Arsenal will help him develop into the player he could be. City will rebuild massively in the summer too so I don't think they'd be a bad fit for him either. 

sorry cant stand the jumped up little twat !!  he is a kid thats acting like he is some sort of legend ....fuck him off abroad for as much as we can get for him and watch him comeback to earth with a mighty bump

Ibe can replace him and he in my opinion is a much better all round player and  has the right attitude to become something special at the club  

From Sterling's perspective (with all the usual caveats of every footballer being a greedy, immoral cunt) he has been paid £35K for the last 18 months when he has been our best player. He probably sees the hefty wage demands as a way to compensate for being so lowly paid for so long.

I'd still sell him though because you can't give a 20 year old £600k a week.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  He definitely would have stayed last year for less money than 100K a week but this year he would need more than 100K to stay.  But he just wants to play.  It is not about the money.

I know, it's just preposterous, he'll be telling us he nearly crashed his Range Rover when he heard of the 100k offer next. Definitely not about money though.

Modern footballers are just cunts, all of them.