You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

They are all greedy shithouses then, surely?

Yes. Yes they are.

I had the pleasure of participating in a training session and then match, followed by a few pints watching the Derby game with the great Alan Kennedy. We chatted about the modern game and the one thing that he kept repeating was the lack of fight and heart in the majority of today's players - mostly in it for the money they can earn than the love of the game. Too precious and more concerned with image than getting out and getting the job done. He said he interviewed Yossi and Yossi hadn't a notion who he was.

He spoke about how players in his day would be shitting themselves going asking for a pay rise of a few quid because more often than not they'd get told to fuck off, or else given a target for the next few months to achieve the pay rise. Of course agents have now fucked that up and ruined the game.

So if Alan Kennedy thinks that a lot of players are pretty greedy these days, then it's good enough for Zonko.

• Upvote 2

I hope he signs a new deal, but I wouldn't give him whatever he wants. The compromise should be struck at a bit more than what we want to pay and a bit less than what he wants. If we've offered 100K a week and he's after say, 150K (and that's the number Bascombe uses) then I'd go to $120K and give him a clear ultimatum on a deadline by which he needs to sign. 

If he won't sign, then we sell him to the highest bidder. Even at that point we don't need to sell if the money isn't right, since with two years left on his deal we still have a decent amount of control in how this might play out. 

This is simply fiction. Reverse engineering because you don't like that he's asked for a big contract. What Sterling has produced, both last season and this, is head and shoulders ahead of what the overwhelming majority of 19/20 year old players do. That's why he's so highly rated. Wake up!!

It's fiction that he played well at the start of the season and I find it funny a lot on here have such short memories when raheem admitted it himself, remember he shaved he's head because he wanted a change of fortune.

90% of the people on here where all in agreement that no one was performing at the start of the season but opinions seem to have changed.

He done well when he was moved up front during December and January but before and some games after that he hasn't performed.

Yes I can't remember him scoring a couple of goals at the start but getting a goal in a game does not automatically mean a player has played well for me.

If anyone can name 1 or 2 games before manu away where Raheem played very well and to his top level please do because after looking at the results I can't remember one, he might have been decent but he wasn't at his best.

If he goes I couldn't give a shit. I am indifferent to the greedy shithouses of the football world these days.

I'm starting to think it's not an if anymore, how many players say wait until the end of the season and then stay at their club.

Negotiations have been going on since Xmas while Raheem has lost out on how many thousands during that period.

If he signed a new contract how long would it take him to make back what he's lost? He's gone imo and I reckon he's probably been tapped up elsewhere and offered a nice wage and signing fee.

If anyone can name 1 or 2 games before manu away where Raheem played very well and to his top level please do because after looking at the results I can't remember one, he might have been decent but he wasn't at his best.

Where to start with this?

I see you've now completely moved the goalposts from declaring his performances as "shit" earlier to now saying he wasn't at his "top level" and "he wasn't at his best". That's quite a bit of backpeddling you're doing there - be careful you don't fall over.

Also, you've completely ignored the QPR interview with Rodgers that was posted directly in response to your view that he was "shit" before December. You can use that as an example of the "1 or 2 games before manu away". You could also add in a Spurs away, too.

So, where are you going to veer off to next in your shape-shifting diatribe where you do everything except admit the truth of your problem with him - money, not performances. 

Where to start with this?

I see you've now completely moved the goalposts from declaring his performances as "shit" earlier to now saying he wasn't at his "top level" and "he wasn't at his best". That's quite a bit of backpeddling you're doing there - be careful you don't fall over.

Also, you've completely ignored the QPR interview with Rodgers that was posted directly in response to your view that he was "shit" before December. You can use that as an example of the "1 or 2 games before manu away". You could also add in a Spurs away, too.

So, where are you going to veer off to next in your shape-shifting diatribe where you do everything except admit the truth of your problem with him - money, not performances.

I ignored Rodgers comments after qpr because I'm assuming most people know those comments were made to try and boost Sterlings confidence.

Despite winning that game it was one of the teams worst performances of the season, the fact Rodgers was bigging Raheem up after that performance shows how bad he was playing around then.

When I said he was shit Im talking about by his standards and what he can do when he is on form like we saw at the end of last season.

Even those trying to defend him are now saying he started off ok and then dipped when the rest of the team did, this would back up when I said he wasn't carrying no one as he was as poor as the rest during our bad period.

Yes. Yes they are.

I had the pleasure of participating in a training session and then match, followed by a few pints watching the Derby game with the great Alan Kennedy. We chatted about the modern game and the one thing that he kept repeating was the lack of fight and heart in the majority of today's players - mostly in it for the money they can earn than the love of the game. Too precious and more concerned with image than getting out and getting the job done. He said he interviewed Yossi and Yossi hadn't a notion who he was.

He spoke about how players in his day would be shitting themselves going asking for a pay rise of a few quid because more often than not they'd get told to fuck off, or else given a target for the next few months to achieve the pay rise. Of course agents have now fucked that up and ruined the game.

So if Alan Kennedy thinks that a lot of players are pretty greedy these days, then it's good enough for Zonko.

I don't think there's any possibility that Alan Kennedy wouldn't be asking for the same massive wages as everyone else if he was playing these days.

He was unfortunate to play during a time when clubs used to completely screw players over, whilst making a tidy profit themselves.

At face value, it does seem ridiculous the amount of money players get these days, but the reality is that that money exists in football and if it wasn't going to the players then it would be going straight into the pockets of the owners, shareholders and various financial institutions. It absolutely wouldn't be used for reinvesting in the team, or reducing ticket prices.

Given that choice, I'd prefer it to go to the players. After all, they are the ones who generate the revenue.

• Upvote 2

I ignored Rodgers comments after qpr because I'm assuming most people know those comments were made to try and boost Sterlings confidence.

Despite winning that game it was one of the teams worst performances of the season, the fact Rodgers was bigging Raheem up after that performance shows how bad he was playing around then.

When I said he was shit Im talking about by his standards and what he can do when he is on form like we saw at the end of last season.

Even those trying to defend him are now saying he started off ok and then dipped when the rest of the team did, this would back up when I said he wasn't carrying no one as he was as poor as the rest during our bad period.

Ha ha. Of course, Rodgers praising Sterling for being at the heart of our 3 goals that day was simply a ruse and he was privately furious with him for not setting up 7 goals.

The rest of your post you continue to turn somersaults trying to get away from what you originally said several times. Piss poor, lad.

Ha ha. Of course, Rodgers praising Sterling for being at the heart of our 3 goals that day was simply a ruse and he was privately furious with him for not setting up 7 goals.

The rest of your post you continue to turn somersaults trying to get away from what you originally said several times. Piss poor, lad.

He set up one goal if you can call it an assist where he had Balotelli in the middle but he hit it straight at the defender and it luckily went in.

Johnson set up the first goal and Coutinho scored the second cutting in from the left and shooting.

As for Rodgers comments it's nothing new for him to praise a player to try and boost their confidence.

Yes. Yes they are.

Kennedy is a relic from another era. Football is now a multi-billion pound industry. If he - or anyone else - thinks that as players you wouldn't want your share, then I think you (one) are kidding yourself.

Would Kennedy happily just sit there and watch the millions flow into the owners' pockets while picking up his 10 shillings a week, because he's some sort of faux-altruist? I wouldn't have thought so.

I very much doubt footballers have changed (Jimmy Hill anyone?). But football definitely has.

This is what Major Tom thinks. And if it's good enough for Major Tom, then it's good enough for Major Tom.

• Downvote 2

He set up one goal if you can call it an assist where he had Balotelli in the middle but he hit it straight at the defender and it luckily went in.

Johnson set up the first goal and Coutinho scored the second cutting in from the left and shooting.

As for Rodgers comments it's nothing new for him to praise a player to try and boost their confidence.

I suggest you watch the goals again.

Whilst I don't think Sterling is worth anymore than 100/125k per week we will sign Ings and,Milner on combined wages of 200k. Are them 2 combined any better than Sterling? The club is totally fucked from the summer gone and the complete shitout of the first half of the season.

MOM in first game of the season against southampton - damn near it in the Tottenham game. Our best player by a ways in the loss to West Ham.

Those were all in the first month of the season.

Be a nice touch if they chose a supporter at random to get a wage similar to what those shithouses collect every week. Just one month of that wage would change lives.

I know it would if it was me. I'd change the life of my local BMW dealer, the cunt. 

Kennedy is a relic from another era. Football is now a multi-billion pound industry. If he - or anyone else - thinks that as players you wouldn't want your share, then I think you (one) are kidding yourself.

Would Kennedy happily just sit there and watch the millions flow into the owners' pockets while picking up his 10 shillings a week, because he's some sort of faux-altruist? I wouldn't have thought so.

I very much doubt footballers have changed (Jimmy Hill anyone?). But football definitely has.

This is what Major Tom thinks. And if it's good enough for Major Tom, then it's good enough for Major Tom.

i think you might have missed the point, it wasn't just to do with Money, it was about heart and desire, people used to live to play football, now it appears that to most of them it is just a Job that pays extremely well.

• Upvote 2

Be a nice touch if they chose a supporter at random to get a wage similar to what those shithouses collect every week. Just one month of that wage would change lives.

I know it would if it was me. I'd change the life of my local BMW dealer, the cunt. 

Doesn't sound like randomness is the key here, more like give us a months money from one of these cunts and I 'd go out and spunk it on flash cars. I would like a months  randomness too please !!

• Upvote 1

I understand that all footballers want as much as they can get but let's be honest if he signed the contract at £100k and then brought his game up to the next level again next season does anyone (himself included) really think he wouldn't then be rewarded again with another bumper deal?

Sturridge will be one of our biggest earners next year and I'm sorry but Sterling hasn't done enough yet to be paid in line with our biggest earner, his form is far too patchy and not consistent enough to be a top earner, he has achieved fuck all yet except hitting a few purple patches of form and I realise he is still young but what happens when we pay him the same as Sturridge?

Next thing Daniel is knocking demanding more, I totally agree with the clubs (reported) offer and if he doesn't like it then to be honest he can fuck off, we arnt City or Chelsea so we can't just cave in everytime someone comes through the door who might be a great player.

As I say if he continues his trajectory then he will be rewarded again next year so it stinks of greed to me either that or he just wants out and has been tapped up elsewhere.

• Upvote 2