You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard?

Rick Sanchez C-137

Fuck the vote, the answer is obviously Steven Gerrard. For me, the best midfielder playing in this country never to have won a Premier League title. That said, there are aspects of the other two's games in which they are/were a bit better than Gerrard.

Lampard is the best of the three at ghosting into the box and finding space between 2 defenders to get on the end of passes and crosses into the box. If you watch his runs into the box, he is always looking at finding the midpoint between 2 defenders, neither of whom will have time to react quickly enough to converge on him and close the space if/when the ball comes to him. I think this is harder for Gerrard to do because defenders and midfielders are more wary of his all-round threat and are therefore more inclined to try and close him down earlier.

Scholes was the best of the three at finding space in midfield. Watching him play, he always positioned himself and moved about in a way that allowed him to receive the ball and have time to look around and assess his options. That extra bit of space and time is what helped him distribute the ball as effectively as he did. Not quite in the Pirlo class, but bloody close. Again, opponents are so wary of Gerrard's all-round threat that he naturally draws closer attention and often has less space and time to work in.

• Upvote 2

3 world - class players without a doubt. 

Stevie for me though.

Lampard has always been surrounded by class and they are set up for the attacking midfielder to score at the rate of a striker. 

Scholes technically brilliant, great awareness but he can't tackle for shit. 

Stevie has the lot. 

All world class players, model professionals, and a riposte to anyone who says that this country doesn't produce technically gifted footballers.

But Gerrard, obviously.

Can I also add that I think questions like this are retarded, and I hate myself for even answering it.

Would the other 2 have carried teams like Gerrard has over the years, I think not. BTW i'm not saying he has totally carried us for his career, but as Paulie pointed out he payed with Diao

The truth is you will never get an unbiased view from any of us, mancs or Chelsea fans on this matter.

I'd be interested to know what point you are making there Major Tom?

Would the other 2 have carried teams like Gerrard has over the years, I think not. BTW i'm not saying he has totally carried us for his career, but as Paulie pointed out he payed with Diao

The truth is you will never get an unbiased view from any of us, mancs or Chelsea fans on this matter.

I'd be interested to know what point you are making there Major Tom?

Salith Diao played just 37 league games over 3 seasons. Yes, Stevie did play with Diao, but he also played with Didi Hamann, Gary McAllister, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano!

Stevie gets my vote hands down. Scholes and Lampard, however, were/are extremely talented players and it's impossible to compare them.

Salith Diao played just 37 league games over 3 seasons. Yes, Stevie did play with Diao, but he also played with Didi Hamann, Gary McAllister, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano!

Stevie gets my vote hands down. Scholes and Lampard, however, were/are extremely talented players and it's impossible to compare them.

Yeah, I know that - I was going to mention that he has also been part of some very good teams too hence why i said he hasn't totally carried us. I just couldnt be bothered listing all the cackers so poor Salif was the scapegoat!

As a neutral (in theory, far less biased), I would have to say Gerrard, then Lampard, then Scholes.

I base that on football ability, and leadership on the pitch i.e. if I was a manager, and I had to pick ONE of them for my team, it would be Gerrard.

All three are wonderful players, and at their peak would likely make any team in the world.

A lot is made of Lampard's goal scoring record (which is remarkable) or Scholes' medal haul, but those are things that are influenced by so many other factors - the teams they played for / in, and the opportunities afforded by that.

It is a shame that Gerrard's opportunities on the world stage have been more limited than some other greats. That's primarily down to Liverpool being outshone by a number of other great clubs during Gerrard's career, but he still managed to help Liverpool (arguably) defy the odds and win plenty during their 'below par' years.

Absolutely fantastic footballer. As I've said many many times, the best all round English player I've ever seen 'live' (and at his peak).

As a slight aside -

I do sometimes wonder if Gerrard would have shone in quite the same way at a more successful club e.g. in the way that Zidane did. That's not a slight on him, he'd obviously have fitted into any team in the world, but he stands out at Liverpool more often, simply due to him being a class above most others. That would not have been the case in some other teams. We'll never know if that would have manifested itself with him scoring a hatfull of goals (like Lampard), or possibly less goals (not needing to perform miracles as often!).

Scholes is overrated. Great player but not the greatest of all time as the Mancs would have you believe. And he also played in a great team so had plenty of top players to rely on. Gerrard has done it all himself.

Gerrard wins this vote.

Stevie was/is a wonderful player, but let's not kid ourselves that he has only played with shite. Carragher, Hyypia, Hamann, McAllister, Alonso, Mascherano, Fowler, Owen, Torres,etc. were all top players.

Agree with others it's a bit of a silly question, and asking it in a national newspaper is basically akin to asking "which team do you support?" Of course I think Gerrard is the best of the three, but I can't say for sure whether or not me being a Liverpool supporter is a factor in my opinion. I think the Guardian poll will place Gerrard in third place. Is it possible to view the results out of interest, doesn't seem to be?