Quantcast
Prog rock thread - Page 6 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
moof

Prog rock thread

Great underrated prog album is Bundles by Soft Machine, with Alan Holdsworth on guitar, he fucking rips it up on that.

Thanks, Stringy. It's my brother's really so I'll let him know someone likes it. He might get a mellatron to celebrate.

don't spell it like that, or he'll hit you over the head with it.  ;)

I've got a Nord keyboard - they sampled all of the original mello tape loops and provide a pretty accurate sound without all the sticky recording heads.  

don't spell it like that, or he'll hit you over the head with it. ;)

I've got a Nord keyboard - they sampled all of the original mello tape loops and provide a pretty accurate sound without all the sticky recording heads.

My spelling is terrible.

Believe it or not the mellotron on that track was taken off an App on the bass player's iphone.

My spelling is terrible.

Believe it or not the mellotron on that track was taken off an App on the bass player's iphone.

ha!  fucking hell, to get it on my keyboard I have to load a whole DVD on!

• Upvote 1

See with Chris Squire dying, are we not due a load of prog stuff on BBC4 or something? Very dissapointing reaction so far.

Mind you every programme or article has to end with a bit about how Punk came in & wiped it off the face of the Earth (even though they missed Marrillion), which I find a bit annoying.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a documentary on Tales of Topographic Oceans next weekend.

There are a couple of young prog bands really pushing the boundaries and creating some clever sounds/atmosphere.

Great drums and vocals in this.

• Upvote 1

Listened to this track in the car earlier, my first thought was I reckon mook from TLW and his brother would be into it.

Fuck knows why but that's what popped into my head.

• Upvote 1

Listened to this track in the car earlier, my first thought was I reckon mook from TLW and his brother would be into it.

Fuck knows why but that's what popped into my head.

Ha ha, the start sounds great but I need to get ready for work so I'll have a proper listen later on.

And I'll send a link to my brother as well.

One month today I'm off to see King Crimson, I don't go to many gigs but I'm making an exception in this case.

Larks_tongues_in_aspic_album_cover.jpg

King Crimson were fucking magic, no chat at all, just two and a half hours of mental prog. They played a lot of 60/70s stuff but the newer stuff stood out for its sheer heaviness and I thought the three drummers worked brilliantly.

One of the highlights was going for a piss and having to get past an old woman (clearly someone's wife) who had fallen asleep.

King Crimson were fucking magic, no chat at all, just two and a half hours of mental prog. They played a lot of 60/70s stuff but the newer stuff stood out for its sheer heaviness and I thought the three drummers worked brilliantly.

One of the highlights was going for a piss and having to get past an old woman (clearly someone's wife) who had fallen asleep.

That'll have been Toyah

• Upvote 4

Seconds Out by Genesis - fucking brilliant live album, I got new headphones for walking to work & this is my standout album at the moment, Chester Thompson & Bill Bruford playing duel drums on Apocalypse in 9/8, magic. I actually think they did some of their best stuff in the years between Gabriel & Hackett leaving.

Anybody watch that Brian Pern thing on BBC4 (started again last night)? It's basically a pisstake of Prog & more specifically Peter Gabriel, it's funny as fuck.

I think anyone who has been in a band with a singer would find it quite funny.

• Upvote 1

Remember watching a King Crimson documentary and Robert Fripp said something along the lines of "my music is not to be enjoyed". And other testimonies from previous band members who he had broken with his intensity and band leader style. I do love King Crimson like. Heard a similar story about Beefheart and that some of his band members are still going through therapy because of him haha. They brought Ry Cooder in to help with a Beefheart album and I think he bailed after about three months on the road with him.

• Upvote 1

Keith Emerson dead, aged 71.

Fucking hell, this year is shit for great music people dying.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• John Barnes believes the integrity of the Premier League must be upheld meaning that Liverpool have to complete the season to be classified as winners of the league.

The Belgian Pro League became the first in Europe to cancel their season, and in doing so they declared Club Brugge as the winners.

Brugge are currently 15 points clear of Gent but the main difference is that it is a 16-team league and there was just one game of the season remaining when it was halted.

In terms of the Premier League, the Reds legend said all fixtures must be honoured no matter how long it takes to overcome this global nightmare that is the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Mirror (via BonusCodeBets) reported Barnes as saying:

“A lot of people are looking at it quite binary saying: ‘Liverpool should just be given the league title’ because they’re 25 points ahead. 

“But for the integrity of football it is important that the season must be finished.

“You can’t just award Liverpool the league title without promotion or relegation taking place. It’s wrong.

"You have to honour the league which means that the bottom three have to go down, the top three have to come up from The Championship, bottom three go down from there and then the same with League One.

“It’s not a binary choice to say give them the championship and we’ll sort everything else; you can’t do that! I don’t see why you cannot finish the season.

"Even if we play football in three months, six months, 10 months’ time or even a year.   "We have nine games to play and these must be honoured – we then start the next season two or three months later.  

The former England international says the football calendar may well have to be turned on its head due to this unique situation.

"Obviously in an ideal world you’d like to start the season in August and finish in May, but in these unprecedented times we may have to start playing again in August and finish in October, two months off until next season in January or maybe February.

“Maybe we scrap the FA Cup, League Cup and Champions’ League so we all catch up, that way we can get the way back to August and play from then until May next season.

"It’s opening up a can of worms to try and start over again, and I don’t see why we are so worried about the following season. 

“Completing this season is the most important thing to do.

"For the integrity of football all the way down, it is so important the season is concluded.”

View full article
    • Earn money?  The greedy, fucking fascist Eastern European (dead) cunt.    
    • I would not stand for this @VladimirIlyich  
    • A European plan is being formed to resume football around July and August, with domestic leagues told on Thursday not to abandon competitions yet due to the coronavirus pandemic. The aspiration was outlined in a letter, seen by The Associated Press, that was signed by UEFA, the European Club Association and European Leagues body and was being sent to their members. The letter was issued hours after the Belgian league became the first major European competition to recommend ending its season with the current standings declared final. We are confident that football can restart in the months to come - with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities,' the letter from UEFA, the ECA and EL stated, 'and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified.' Competitions, including UEFA's Champions League and Europa League, were put on hold last month as the COVID-19 outbreak spread across Europe. UEFA working groups have been working on plans to resume competitions. 'Their work is now focusing on scenarios encompassing the months of July and August, including the possibility that the UEFA competitions restart after the completion of domestic leagues,' read the letter sent to leagues, clubs and national associations. 'A joint management of calendars is strictly required as the conclusion of the current season must be coordinated with the start of the new one, which may be partly impacted because of the overstretch. Closely following the development of the current situation, the calendar working group will indicate as soon as possible, and ideally by mid-May, which of the plans can be enacted for the completion of the season without leaving anyone behind. ' Halting leagues could impact qualification from domestic leagues to the Champions and Europa Leagues. 'Since participation in UEFA club competitions is determined by the sporting result achieved at the end of a full domestic competition, a premature termination would cast doubts about the fulfillment of such condition,' the letter stated. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8182389/Coronavirus-European-football-chiefs-plan-resume-games-July-August.html#newcomment
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors

• Football Betting Site Betway
  • Online Bingo