You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prog rock thread

moof

Prog rock was weird.

At its best, King Crimson “Court of the Crimson king”, Yes “Roundabout”, ELP “Fanfare for the Common Man” it was brilliant. At its worst, which was most of it, it was self- indulgent narcissistic shite.

Too often, it was classically trained musicians trying to prove how clever they were. The terraces had it right, Slade, The Strawbs, Gary Glitter, proper tunes with good hooks. You couldn’t sing “Yours is no Disgrace” after Tommy had been sent off for a cruncher.

Gary Glitter???  Get in the bin.

I don't mind a bit if Wishbone. Love Vas Dis.

King Crimson are up there for me.

Off to see the new kings of Prog next week. Opeth.

Never heard of them but i listened to Eternal Rains will come on Youtube and thought it was pretty dam good

I like these guys who followed a similar path and are a good Liverpool band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BtPeVxeZw

• Upvote 1

Never heard of them but i listened to Eternal Rains will come on Youtube and thought it was pretty dam good

I like these guys who followed a similar path and are a good Liverpool band

Anathema are brilliant. Sometimes a hard listen.

Opeth's early stuff is pretty much death metal with a bit of prog mixed in but the last 3 albums have been progtastic.

Anathema are brilliant. Sometimes a hard listen.

Opeth's early stuff is pretty much death metal with a bit of prog mixed in but the last 3 albums have been progtastic.

I'll check them out

Anathema went the same way. Death metal to prog

A move i wholeheartedly approve of

Opeth (bar a few technical issues, which to be fair weren't really that much of an issue) were amazing last night.

In the smaller Academy which made the experience better for me personally. A 2 1/2 hour set of utter brilliance in technical playing, amazing riffs and complete tightness.

A really amazing live band. They played a load of their older tunes as well. And Mikael is a funny guy.

• Upvote 1

The Carpet Crawlers (Genesis tribute band) are playing "The Lamb..." in full on Saturday night at The Academy if anyone's interested.

I am but they only seem to be playing London & Liverpool.

Worth it just to see the Slipperman coming out of his cocoon, oh er...

YES - The Gates of Delirium (2014 remaster - HD A…:

Here we go. A small snippet of Steven Wilson's re-mix. Anyone familiar with Porcupine Tree, will be fully aware of his attention to detail. This is the stereo re-mix. The 5.1 surround re-mix is still a work in progress.

YES - The Gates of Delirium (2014 remaster - HD A…:

Here we go. A small snippet of Steven Wilson's re-mix. Anyone familiar with Porcupine Tree, will be fully aware of his attention to detail. This is the stereo re-mix. The 5.1 surround re-mix is still a work in progress.

I'm tempted but I bought the last remaster & would feel a bit of a mug, his job on Larks Tongue in Aspic was phenomenal though.

I've seen that costume loads of times, but that's the first time i've actually noticed that it actually has a face

It's really weird but when I posted it, it was the first time I'd noticed the face too.

I wish there was some decent footage of them on The Lamb tour from '74, it's all really grainy & shite.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got round to watching a longish documentary on Genesis I had recorded from Sky Arts a while back.

It was good to see that the surviving members are all OK to be in the same room as each other & seemed to get on well enough. I imagined that Gabriel would be the more arty-farty, head in the clouds one, but he came across quite normal & Tony Banks seemed the boring, tedious one, and I was surprised that Collins seemed OK really. Mike Rutherford is an odd one as he seems a bit of a muso type, but then he turns up at Rewind 2014 with Mike & The Mechanics alongside the likes of Bonnie Tyler & the Thompson Twins ( He also seemed to have nicked Genesis' speakers judging by their monicker on them !! )

With reference to the 'Lamb' posts earlier, I hadn't realised that they delayed the release of the Lamb & toured the USA playing it from start to finish without any fans knowing any of the material, that's brave stuff ( almost Jazz Odyssey level )

What's the name of the documentary? Cheers

Total Longo has sorted you out, I thought it would be great when I saw they were all in the same room talking about the old days but it was just a bit niggly & akward, mainly due to Tony Banks.

He has a pop at the concept for Lamb & you can kind of see Gabriel rolling his eyes at times. Steve Hackett comes out of it the best I think, which makes sense when you consider that they went to shit after he walked following Wind & Wuthering.

• Upvote 1