You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prog rock thread

moof

Anyone still entertain a bit of Fish era Marillion?

Yes. Script and Fugazi get very regular plays. Still follow Fish (he's playing Liverpool Academy in December) and had the pleasure if seeing him play Grendel live at his convention a few years back. He always plays some Marillion stuff at his gigs.

Anyone still entertain a bit of Fish era Marillion?

Marillion with Fish were brilliant especially Misplaced Childhood.

Yes. Script and Fugazi get very regular plays. Still follow Fish (he's playing Liverpool Academy in December) and had the pleasure if seeing him play Grendel live at his convention a few years back. He always plays some Marillion stuff at his gigs.

Marillion were a guilty pleasure during my late teens, but I stopped listening to them between about 1990 and about 2 years ago. That's when I discovered that some kind soul had put every album uninterrupted on YouTube. 

This enables me to satisfy my Marillion craving (which usually only happens at weekends at about 3am when I'm shitfaced and my missus is on bricks) via headphones on a laptop at a time when even going for a piss seems like too much effort, let alone rooting through my vinyl collection upstairs.

Apologies for all the Golden Earring links - all done on my LG android, which just likes to fuck with my brain and refuse to show shit I've posted.

Honestly thought I'd only posted one link, until I get back on my desktop and find no, I'e been repeating myself. FUCK YOU LG and ANDROID.

Apologies for all the Golden Earring links - all done on my LG android, which just likes to fuck with my brain and refuse to show shit I've posted.

Honestly thought I'd only posted one link, until I get back on my desktop and find no, I'e been repeating myself. FUCK YOU LG and ANDROID.

I blame Toyah.

Your band only qualifies for prog rock if at least half of them went to some public school in the south of England.  Cos let's face it, public schools in the north are just like Comprehensives down here.  I've heard they even have to share Apple iMacs.

How do Focus or the other European prog bands fit into this criteria?

I'm away to put on my wizard's hat & sequened cloak anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Decent Genesis documentary on bbc last night, watched it on the iplayer today.

Absolutely love The Lamb, what a fucking album. I put Fly on a windshield on once for a boy who was going on about how Genesis were shite, speechless.

• Upvote 1

All that you touch

All that you see

All that you taste

All you feel.

All that you love

All that you hate

All you distrust

All you save.

All that you give

All that you deal

All that you buy,

beg, borrow or steal.

All you create

All you destroy

All that you do

All that you say.

All that you eat

And everyone you meet

All that you slight

And everyone you fight.

All that is now

All that is gone

All that's to come

and everything under the sun is in tune

but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

• Upvote 1

I saw that genesis doc, enjoyed it immensely, learned a lot too, never knew Collins played on Gabriels song intruder.

Also, Collins comes across as a cunt, and his tax dodging and politics are sickening, but there is no doubt in my mind that he's been judged harshly as both a performer and writer!

Prog rock was always going to suffer as a form of music...

1) You can't dance to it

2) It's almost impossible to listen to without nodding your head in a strange time signature that makes onlookers think you've got a very dodgy twitch.

3) By and large, women don't get it

4) A prog rock album usually takes about 30 listens before you start loving it.

5) If you play an instrument, it's the sort of music you'll learn to play because it's hard to play and improves your technique, but some twat will play Wonderwall at a party and pull all the birds before you're 1/3 the way through Roundabout

All of that said, it's generally fantastic music, and strangely bands playing it have tend to have longevity (maybe cos it's takes them 5 years to write an album and another 2 years to play it!)

My top 5 would be:

1) Yes

2) Genesis

3) Rush

4) King Crimson

5) ELP

• Upvote 2

Prog facts:-

Rick Wakeman played on Hunky Dory (Bowie) & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath)

Robert Fripp married Toyah Wilcox

Led Zeppelin considered moving John Paul Jones to keys & recruiting Chris Squire on bass

Hendrix gave serious consideration to joining up with Keith Emerson, ELP might've been called HELP

Steve Hackett is often used in the East end of London as rhyming slang for a lot of noise

Greg Lake's head is exactly the same shape & size as the head of a hammerhead shark

Jon Anderson was a bus stop in Preston for 8 years before he joined Yes

Phil Collins, in a drug fuelled 80s haze once divorced his 17 month old toaster by Fax

Neil Peart's real name is Gareth Temazepam

Prog rock was weird.

At its best, King Crimson “Court of the Crimson king”, Yes “Roundabout”, ELP “Fanfare for the Common Man” it was brilliant. At its worst, which was most of it, it was self- indulgent narcissistic shite.

Too often, it was classically trained musicians trying to prove how clever they were. The terraces had it right, Slade, The Strawbs, Gary Glitter, proper tunes with good hooks. You couldn’t sing “Yours is no Disgrace” after Tommy had been sent off for a cruncher.

Prog rock was weird.

At its best, King Crimson “Court of the Crimson king”, Yes “Roundabout”, ELP “Fanfare for the Common Man” it was brilliant. At its worst, which was most of it, it was self- indulgent narcissistic shite.

Too often, it was classically trained musicians trying to prove how clever they were. The terraces had it right, Slade, The Strawbs, Gary Glitter, proper tunes with good hooks. You couldn’t sing “Yours is no Disgrace” after Tommy had been sent off for a cruncher.

Some good sweeping generalisations in full.