You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prog rock thread

moof

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Anyone in this thread would do well to check out the latest GF Music Review album from the Mars Volta.

It's good.

I'm going to have a listen tomorrow, I definitely listened to this album a few years back but I may have been drunk because I don't remember much about it.

• 1 month later...

Fine and personal tribute to Neil Peart on the first anniversary of his death. Contributed to by his bandmates and wife. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/neil-peart-rush-dead-cover-story-1110496/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The room got a bit dusty as I was reading how he spent some of his retirement working in his daughters school library to be close to her.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Only got into these recently. Fucking great band, seriously good.

I could never get into them but randomly decided to listen to Benefit in November last year and that was like someone opening the door for me. I find their albums need 5 to 10 listens before they start to make sense but after that it's full steam ahead.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

I could never get into them but randomly decided to listen to Benefit in November last year and that was like someone opening the door for me. I find their albums need 5 to 10 listens before they start to make sense but after that it's full steam ahead.

Agree with this, real slow burners.….but once it clicks

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 13/07/2022 at 05:44, Mook said:

I've been listening to Heavy Horses by Jethro Tull solid for the last three months & am still hearing new things every time.

They call it ‘the trilogy’ - the three album set of ‘Songs From The Wood’ ‘Heavy Horses’ and ‘Stormwatch’

I have the boxed sets of SFTW and SW, but not HH…..its next on my list of purchases.

I can’t fault any of these legendary albums. As for Martin Barre - he is arguably one of the greatest rock guitarists to take to the stage. Just the brain power alone to remember every little nuance of every song in the Tull repertoire and execute his guitar parts faithfully night after night. His creative guitar work is as much the Tull sound as Ian’s singing and flute work. I love you Ian Anderson, but there is no Tull w/o Martin Barre

Clive Bunker, Glenn Cornick, Barry Barlowe….jeffry hammond, john evan, john glascock…all consumate musicians. What a band.

So pleased it finally got a remaster, although its taken me a while to get around and listen in depth. It confirms my suspicion ….that ‘Animals’ by Pink Floyd is their second best album behind TDSOTM. The Wall comes in third for me.

Animals is stupendous, but initially suffered from a poor mix, in my humble opinion. Not anymore.

Here’s track 2 -

*Dogs*

• Like 1

Liking the Tull posts on here.

They were my fav band back in the day and got to see them 4 times most notably at the Stadium during the Thick as a Brick tour . They dressed up as roadies with white coats and moved stuff around on stage . Suddenly to everyone’s surprise they threw of the coats and burst into Aqualung. Best start to a gig I’ve ever seen . Epic performance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Liking the Tull posts on here.

They were my fav band back in the day and got to see them 4 times most notably at the Stadium during the Thick as a Brick tour . They dressed up as roadies with white coats and moved stuff around on stage . Suddenly to everyone’s surprise they threw of the coats and burst into Aqualung. Best start to a gig I’ve ever seen . Epic performance.

84adb5a545724fdecfa9c09abf086d44.jpg

• Upvote 1