You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Advice on High blood pressure lifestyle

Navman

Was wondering if anyone could help? I am in hospital at the moment with amazingly high BP and am being treated for it. I was wondering if people knew any good lifestyle tips, diet and exercise ideas which might be good. I am 34 and have a stressful ish life/job, am relatively fit (slightly overweight due to the gym)

I have been told to have 2 weeks completely relaxing. Does anyone know if stress alone could do this? thanks

Was wondering if anyone could help? I am in hospital at the moment with amazingly high BP and am being treated for it. I was wondering if people knew any good lifestyle tips, diet and exercise ideas which might be good. I am 34 and have a stressful ish life/job, am relatively fit (slightly overweight due to the gym)

I have been told to have 2 weeks completely relaxing. Does anyone know if stress alone could do this? thanks

I'm not being funny but surely you'll get the best advice from the medics treating you and know your medical history

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Kemlynreds

I'd echo Anny's advice defo seek a doctors recommendation.

From what I know there are things that you can do to moderate it, but if your susceptible they will only have a small influence. I've a high stress tolerance whereas my wife's incredibly low, but I've just turned 40 am overweight and don't exercise and if I'm going to have a problem it'll be soon,so I've started by getting my diet right, then once the weights down I'm going to start running again.

If your going to do exercise do cardiovascular, watch the diet, smoking and alcohol consumption and keep positive.

Don't know if that's any use, but hope it helps

Smoke more...40 a day is good

Whiskey helps. None of your cheap shit, though. Has to be a decent malt

Rich food with plenty of salt & butter. Steak & chips with a bottle or two of a cracking red

Don't listen to the Drs. They're all in thrall to this healthy living nonsense

Never exercise

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Like others have said, listen to the medics, but it could be worth having a look at your diet. They'll surely give you recommendations, and have just seen something called the DASH diet, but it could also be useful if you look into anti-inflammatory foods as well (and omega 3 to 6 ratio in your diet.) Make sure you check with your medics first though obviously. Cutting back on the more sodium/processed-type foods, and eating more veggies might be one of the basic starting points though.

I used to drink about 50 pints a week. My GP told me to reduce my alcohol consumption.

At my 3 month review I told him I had reduced my alcohol consumption by half.  He was delighted and tested my BP and found no difference.

I said "I don't get it. I'm drinking 49 and half pints per week, what other sacrifices can I make to reduce it".

He said "The best thing you can do is cut alcohol completely, don't smoke, no meat, and run 10 miles a day".

I said "What's the second best?"

I used to drink about 50 pints a week. My GP told me to reduce my alcohol consumption.

At my 3 month review I told him I had reduced my alcohol consumption by half.  He was delighted and tested my BP and found no difference.

I said "I don't get it. I'm drinking 49 and half pints per week, what other sacrifices can I make to reduce it".

He said "The best thing you can do is cut alcohol completely, don't smoke, no meat, and run 10 miles a day".

I said "What's the second best?"

I asked my doc if a pint of cider counted as one of my five-a-day.