You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Starting Numerous Blogs

Street Preacher

I have a couple of ideas for some blogs i want to start and being a complete novice when it comes to starting websites i thought i would pick the brains of you lot!

I want to start at least two blogs and was looking at using Wordpress.org. Would there be any obsticles to creating two blogs using this?

Also does anyone have recommendations when it comes to hosting companies?

I have a couple of ideas for some blogs i want to start and being a complete novice when it comes to starting websites i thought i would pick the brains of you lot!

I want to start at least two blogs and was looking at using Wordpress.org. Would there be any obsticles to creating two blogs using this?

Also does anyone have recommendations when it comes to hosting companies?

wordpress.org i.e. the version you download and install at a hosting company, has an option called network / multi-site which allows you to create multiple distinct blogs under the one installation. It works, it's solid, but it's not used as much as a singular installation so you are more likely to run into issues with plugins, themes and the like. You could also just install the singular version twice in different directories, or on different hosts and get the same effect.

As for hosting, wordpress make their own recommendations, for a referral fee no doubt, WordPress › PHP / MySQL Web Hosting. I have wordpress sites, from the simple to the elaborate, running on platforms from dedicated servers all the way down to shared servers given 1/100th of a cpu. It runs fine on all of them. It's not really a heavy duty application out of the box (once you start layering in plugins that can change though). The biggest hosting issue you are likely to run into is with plugins requiring certain versions of shared libraries and the like that aren't installed by default, so more a customer service issue than anything else.

A word of warning though wordpress out of the box is pretty vanilla. To get a nice looking site, that runs fast, that can be found by search engines etc is quite a bit of effort and the learning curve can include things like HTML/CSS/PHP/Google/Bing Webmaster tools etc.

So if I were you, I would consider starting off by creating two wordpress.com sites (that's the wordpress hosted version of the .org s/w) and working out how to get your content right before you have to start worrying about hosting companies, domain registrars, how to do backups, etc, etc. .com sites as they are called do have some limitations, so look into that. It's easy to import your .com site into a .org implementation if you find that's the way you want to go later.

And ping Redder Lurtz, he went through a similar exercise a while back and probably has some good insights.