You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Formation and Starting 11 Now We Know What We Have?

rubberduckstyle

Now that the transfer window has closed I'm interested to know how people expect us to set up over the next few weeks. Injuries permitting you would expect Sakho to go straight in to the starting 11 with the fee supposedly paid for him. If Moses was brought in to accommodate Coutinho, Suarez coming back soon and the form of Sturridge, will we see something like this?

--------------Mignolet------------

Johnson---Sakho--Agger---Enrique

---------Gerrard---Lucas----------

Suarez-------Coutinho------Moses

--------------Sturridge-----------

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sentimentality aside I'd play Toure over Agger.

That's my initial thought, too. Assuming, of course, that Sakho comes in and adapts straight away. As it is, I'd say Toure - on form alone - is the number one centre back. After that, we should play whoever's going to do best.

Against the so called weaker teams I'd drop Lucas for Henderson. I think whenever Henderson hasn't played we have missed his workrate. Sentimentality aside I'd play Toure over Agger.

Agreed. A team that has finished 7687 has no business putting sentimentality over form and effectiveness.

I'd say Kolo is nailed on to start no matter what, and Agger/Sakho fighting it out for the left CB spot. Sometimes based on form, sometimes depending on the opposition.

I have a feeling Sakho will force his way in and cement his place in the starting 11 though. But then Agger is too good not to play.

What a nice problem..

Tough to know until we see which Cissokho turns up, the one from Porto or the one from Valencia.

If he recaptures his early form i can see a 5-3-2/3-5-2 being a handy option.

Whatever happens, Henderson deserves to be in the starting line-up. As attacking as utilising a front four out of Suarez/Coutinho/Sterling/Moses/Aspas/Sturridge sounds, it offers little protection for the MF.

On the number of centre backs we have - let us remember that Wisdom may be going on loan, Coates is out for ages and I think Skrtel could be gone in January. Also Rogers might consider Kelly primarily RB. So we have Agger, Sakho, Toure and Ilori. Someone like Wisdom might take Toure's place next season depending on how he does.

Against the so called weaker teams I'd drop Lucas for Henderson. I think whenever Henderson hasn't played we have missed his workrate. Sentimentality aside I'd play Toure over Agger.

As per another thread from last week some time, I would rather Henderson was used as a late on (60-70 minutes) impact sub, I just do not see what he does for most of the game, other than the odd worthwhile intervention.

He to me has always been a late addition fresh leg sort of player, I seriously cannot see what so many are seeing from him, sorry.

Be it that he doesnt like the position he is being played in, and only makes a move when he thinks it will benefit him, I dont know, but "work rate"? I have not seen anything special from him so far, full game speaking.

Dont get me wrong, he has assisted us to a degree, but I just cannot see what a few are raving about, I just cant.

Lucas though, has more or less found the old Lucas who appeared just before his injury season.

And I hated him up until then, so given the pick of who should be dropped, then its Henderson for me.

Henderson gives us something, but not enough to warrant a starting place.

As per another thread from last week some time, I would rather Henderson was used as a late on (60-70 minutes) impact sub, I just do not see what he does for most of the game, other than the odd worthwhile intervention.

He to me has always been a late addition fresh leg sort of player, I seriously cannot see what so many are seeing from him, sorry.

Be it that he doesnt like the position he is being played in, and only makes a move when he thinks it will benefit him, I dont know, but "work rate"? I have not seen anything special from him so far, full game speaking.

Dont get me wrong, he has assisted us to a degree, but I just cannot see what a few are raving about, I just cant.

Lucas though, has more or less found the old Lucas who appeared just before his injury season.

And I hated him up until then, so given the pick of who should be dropped, then its Henderson for me.

Henderson gives us something, but not enough to warrant a starting place.

It is without the ball Henderson does most of his good work, in his pressing and movement. It's not like he's some world beater in that department, but he is one of few players in our squad who does that really well. Ideally we'd have a player who was equally good with the ball and offer all that he does without it, but we dont have him.

-------------------Mignolet---------------

Johnson-----Sakho---Agger----Enrique

------------Lucas----Gerrard-----------

---------------Henderson----------------

--Suarez-----Sturridge-----Coutinho

important Subs: Toure, Cissokho, Moses. Maybe against shit teams at anfield moses for hendo with coutinho playing central.

Now that the transfer window has closed I'm interested to know how people expect us to set up over the next few weeks. Injuries permitting you would expect Sakho to go straight in to the starting 11 with the fee supposedly paid for him. If Moses was brought in to accommodate Coutinho, Suarez coming back soon and the form of Sturridge, will we see something like this?

--------------Mignolet------------

Johnson---Sakho--Agger---Enrique

---------Gerrard---Lucas----------

Suarez-------Coutinho------Moses

--------------Sturridge-----------

I think Toure alongside Agger with Sakho at left back for now.

With Sakho being left sided he and Agger will battle it out.

Could we be getting ready to move on a couple of highly paid centre backs in the Jan window. Skrtel for sure. Agger maybe?

The front 6 looks good as it means our weak link removed from the starting line up regardless of his work rate.

Mignolet

Johnson

Toure

Sakho

Enrique

Lucas

Henderson

Suarez

Coutinho

Gerrard

Sturridge

Won't happen though. I'm still not convinced we're making the best use of Gerrard's talents where he is right now. Yes he's playing great but he'd play great anywhere on the pitch. Rafa had it right with him. You want Steven Gerrard as close to the box as possible and with little defensive duties.