You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who has proven far more in the game than Sturridge.

What you proved in the game adds little in monetary value. Age, attitude, form and a strikers ability to find the back of the net is what gets the cash tills tingling.

Does anyone really believe spurs wouldn't entertain a straight swap right now between the two players?

But has scored 30 or 40 odd in Serie A. He hasn't scored a goal this season because he's played about twelve seconds of football.

Picking a Manchester City signing is hardly indicative of the norm either.

I've no doubt that there would probably be the odd club that would spunk £30m on Sturridge, I just don't think he's proven to be worth as much yet.

What you proved in the game adds little in monetary value. Age, attitude, form and a strikers ability to find the back of the net is what gets the cash tills tingling.

Does anyone really believe spurs wouldn't entertain a straight swap right now between the two players?

I don't think even you believe the bit in bold. Its absurd.

The last sentence is completely irrelevant. When Spurs signed Soldado he'd scored about 80 goals in the last 3 years, in one of the best leagues in Europe. Three months into his first season at the club doesn't change that.

Sturidge would go for more than 30mil right now. He's a young England international who's smashing in goals left right and sometimes centre. Goalscorers are gold dust.

The mancs paid 15 mil for Zaha, a championship player in the summer who scored four goals for crystal palace in a lower division.

Exactly

I think people on here think Liverpool wouldn't get that kind of money for him and i can't blame them for that thinking. Our histroy in the transfer market (buying and selling) is terrible.

But he should go for 25 million, his goal scoring record, when given games, for Bolton and Us is fantastic. He is young, quick and proven in England.

If united paid 28 million for fellani then Sturridge would go for easily around that fgure. Anyway my pont is that we took a risk on younger potential and within 12 months those players have doubled if not tripled in value.

Plus the ones who havent made the grade wont cost us downing and caroll money to get rid of. Thats why buying potential works over buying established. But i do think we finally have a manager capable of buying more established/expereinced players and not totally fucking it up like Houllier, rafa, roy and Kenny.

Any club has to manage the needs of both the present and the future. I would suggest that we are not doing too badly in this regard at the moment. The team has some weaknesses but that is due to falling behind in the last few years more than anything else. We are catching up, certainly in terms of our best eleven, and then after that since we don't have the same sort of money as 3-4 other teams, we are trying to make up the squad numbers with younger players.  

A player like Hughes represents a prudent gamble. The fee won't all be paid out up front and I'm sure it can be reduced by leaving him there for a while longer on loan, and/or loaning other players such as Wisdom. 

There are certain question marks over at least half our central midfield at the moment. In Stevie's case it is purely down to old father time beginning to catch up. He still has plenty to offer, and one of the tests for the manager in the next season or two will be to extract what Stevie has to offer, while also managing his playing time, while also giving more minutes to the players who will eventually take over. I wouldn't mind the likes of Hughes being brought in to stake a claim as one or two others are eased out in coming seasons. 

The fee won't all be paid out up front

Nearly all transfers aren't paid up front.

Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

I am all for the signing if that doesn't affect signings for the first team.  But if we get Hughes and no one else or another players at a similar age / price - then I think we'll have got our priorities wrong... and not for the first time.

Nearly all transfers aren't paid up front.

Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

I am all for the signing if that doesn't affect signings for the first team.  But if we get Hughes and no one else or another players at a similar age / price - then I think we'll have got our priorities wrong... and not for the first time.

I'm not sure if you realise it but you want us to adopt the exact same policy we have done for 20 years.

Crazy

I'm not sure if you realise it but you want us to adopt the exact same policy we have done for 20 years.

Crazy

No I don't.

We've paid over the top for players for years.

I want us to buy players like Sturridge, Coutinho, Mignolet and Sakho who improve us now and still have a bright future.  Alonso, Torres, Reina and Mascherano were similar.

I don't think even you believe the bit in bold. Its absurd.

The last sentence is completely irrelevant. When Spurs signed Soldado he'd scored about 80 goals in the last 3 years, in one of the best leagues in Europe. Three months into his first season at the club doesn't change that.

Age is a massive selling point. A players value plummets after they reach the 28/29 mark because after been given a three or four year contract their sell on fee is not worth much more than zilch, unless of course you are talking about the top half a dozen strikers in world football.

Sturridge is 23 Soldardo is 27 in three years time a chairman will factor in what the player may be worth in three years time when that player is entering the last year of his contract.

Sturridge is british, british players hold more value, though I'm not sure why.

Imo if liverpool offered Sturridge to arsenal for 30 mil in January they'd bite our hands off.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I have praised our transfer strategy since the transfer committee was formed.  We fucked up on Allen, Sahin and Borini - it was a shit window and we regressed.

We didn't actually. By no sensible measure did we regress. We got more points in the first half of a season than we did in the previous half a season; we scored more goals, won more games, and conceded fewer goals. Whilst it wasn't an easy transition from how we were performing to how we're performing now, it really only took 10 games to get swinging, and we're now building on that. Quite remarkable, actually.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Soldado is a quality player. Thing is, he does need a team around him creating chances and creating some space for him to work in. Spurs aren't firing at the moment, but when they do he'll pick up. Writing him off as a bad purchase now is a bit rash. And my 'rash', I mean 'Rash'.

We didn't actually. By no sensible measure did we regress. We got more points in the first half of a season than we did in the previous half a season; we scored more goals, won more games, and conceded fewer goals. Whilst it wasn't an easy transition from how we were performing to how we're performing now, it really only took 10 games to get swinging, and we're now building on that. Quite remarkable, actually.

Regress might be the wrong word.  

We didn't improve where we needed to, we struggled to win games and our season was poor as a result.  Luckily after January we bought right and looked a much better, more threatening team.   Shame that summer was so bad we lost so much ground to challenge for the top four and even missed out on Europa football.  

But we've learnt from those mistakes and the transfer committee is doing the business.

£12m after add ons is about market value for a player of his ability playing in that league. About comparable to Nick Powell over at the Mancs (but a year younger). He cost them £6m but was in League 2, would have been a fair whack more in the Championship.

See also Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for £15m.

Positive move IMO, just a shame that on the flip side Adorjan will be leaving for peanuts. Spending for players at this level of development is fine but we need to be looking to make some money back through the academy too.

• Upvote 1

£12m after add ons is about market value for a player of his ability playing in that league. 

I agree, that £12 million is about his value.  

I'm not saying we are over paying for him, I just feel it is a poor use of resources.  We aren't United or Arsenal and don't have their resources or Champs League football to take such punts.  If we did, then I'd be all for it.

Soldado is a quality player. Thing is, he does need a team around him creating chances and creating some space for him to work in. Spurs aren't firing at the moment, but when they do he'll pick up. Writing him off as a bad purchase now is a bit rash. And my 'rash', I mean 'Rash'.

Who's writing him off?

Soldardo is a good player who is not english, four years older than Sturridge, has scored less premier league goals than Sturridge, who was bought by spurs for not much under 30 million quid. Why the fuck wouldn't Sturridge be at least that amount?

I agree, that £12 million is about his value.  

I'm not saying we are over paying for him, I just feel it is a poor use of resources.  We aren't United or Arsenal and don't have their resources or Champs League football to take such punts.  If we did, then I'd be all for it.

But nobody knows our resources you are just guessing about what we have.

We have been fleeced as a club for so many years in the transfer market. We always paid way over what we should and never sold for as much as we should have.

I think the owners finally learnt this after the carroll, hnderson and downing deals. After that they said lets appear to be tight fisted and not let anybody screw us over again. Its working. Under rick parry and Moores we would have paid 18 million for Sturridge and 17-20 million for coutinho. We had to stop the rott some how.

So we then started to pull out of deals like dempsey and sigurdsson, it even made our own fans think that the current yanks are already broke. But for me it was smart, its made people like yourself guess about what we have to spend.

I think there is plenty of cash but we are just being smarter with it and waiting for the right times to buy better players. Some of those players in the summer were fantastic Costa and Mikhartian look like real quality players. We didnt get them but we also didnt spunk shit loads on somebody less good because that would have been a panic buy.

We got a young, high quality, defender in and we all know Sahko has potential, mixed with expereince. Wise move. Everything the club is doing now is smart, they arent trying to appease the fans anymore. Just have some patence.

• Upvote 2

Who's writing him off?

Soldardo is a good player who is not english, four years older than Sturridge, has scored less premier league goals than Sturridge, who was bought by spurs for not much under 30 million quid. Why the fuck wouldn't Sturridge be at least that amount?

Soldado has proven himself in the liga for a few seasons, jumped in and out of the Spanish team, whereas this is the first season where Sturridge is starting to show his worth, and it's only the first half of the season, Sturridge could have a massive dip in form, or he could continue blazing through teams.

And that's not even factoring the fact that Soldado is still trying to settle into a team that played differently from Valencia last season.

No one does.

As I said I am all for it, as long as it doesn't hinder our spending for the first team, I fear it will.

We have been fleeced as a club for so many years in the transfer market. We always paid way over what we should and never sold for as much as we should have.

I think the owners finally learnt this after the carroll, hnderson and downing deals. After that they said lets appear to be tight fisted and not let anybody screw us over again. Its working. Under rick parry and Moores we would have paid 18 million for Sturridge and 17-20 million for coutinho. We had to stop the rott some how.

So we then started to pull out of deals like dempsey and sigurdsson, it even made our own fans think that the current yanks are already broke. But for me it was smart, its made people like yourself guess about what we have to spend.

I think there is plenty of cash but we are just being smarter with it and waiting for the right times to buy better players. Some of those players in the summer were fantastic Costa and Mikhartian look like real quality players. We didnt get them but we also didnt spunk shit loads on somebody less good because that would have been a panic buy.

We got a young, high quality, defender in and we all know Sahko has potential, mixed with expereince. Wise move. Everything the club is doing now is smart, they arent trying to appease the fans anymore. Just have some patence.

Pretty sure that both LFD and I have patience. It's common sense that panic buying is only going to screw us up, but I don't think anyone would mind us spending an extra £10m on a player if we believe that he'll turn out good for us. I'm pretty sure we didn't sign Erikson for a good reason, either due to his attitude or ridiculous wage demands. A good £40m if spent on the right player will bring us significant returns, even if it means overpaying him at the wrong time. Besides, when's the right time? Coutinho was probably the only lucky break where we bought a player at a value that was one third of what he truly was.

I'm a big fan of Hughes and I think he would be an excellent signing for us in the long term, but £12 million does seem like a lot to me, even if it's after add-ons. I suppose it all depends on what the initial fee is. If it's something like £8 million rising to £12 million with add-ons that that's not too bad considering what we paid for Alberto. Anything more than that seems like an excessive outlay on a player who probably isn't going to figure in the first team for another year or so.

Soldado has proven himself in the liga for a few seasons, jumped in and out of the Spanish team, whereas this is the first season where Sturridge is starting to show his worth, and it's only the first half of the season, Sturridge could have a massive dip in form, or he could continue blazing through teams.

And that's not even factoring the fact that Soldado is still trying to settle into a team that played differently from Valencia last season.

I think your missing the point, we're talking monetary value. Soldardo is one off the better buys, but is 27. He has little resale value, sturridge on the other hand has. Soldardo has scored goals in a different league to which he's now playing, which makes his fee a gamble, whilst Sturridge has been the more proven goalscorer in the league they are both plying their trade in.

There is no logical reason why Sturridge would fetch less than Soldardo or most of the strikers who moved this summer on an open market.