You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Because we had been buying foreign players for 12 years under rafa an houllier and it didnt work out.

So Kenny went British because he thought "these players already know the league and culture, they wont have to adapt, they are less of a risk"

I mean how fucking obvious was that?

How can you possbily not see that this was our transfer policy when buying downing, henderson, caroll and Adam?

I have no miserable idea how did buying foreign players not work out for us. Our top players in recent years, none of them were British, bar Gerrard. I could easily name you the players who weren't British but were the top players.

Yes captain obvious, I do know that the transfer policy at that time was to go British, and for me it was so flawed that it was foolish to think that way from the fucking start, especially when he paid £20m for Downing. What I don't understand is your argument, are you still trying to say that going British is less risk, or did I misunderstand your statement?

So you want us to focus on the short term and get ourselves quickly into the top four but you don't want us to buy anyone?!

Good strategy that, i think your a little confused

I honestly think you have never seen Will Hughes play and know nothing about the transfer but are just against it because you want to be.

I don't think you have any clear vision about what we should do in the future and who we should buy either. You don't rate Allen and your using that transfer to beat the club up with and are saying all transfers of this type are wrong.

I think we have enough to get top four and we don't need a big squad as we have no Europe.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign anyone, if Rodgers sees a player who he thinks will improve us now, then sure get him.

But I personally don't think we have to sign anyone to get top four and if it was me, unless someone who I really wanted became available, I would save our funds until the summer.  I know I am in the minority and I can see why people would like to strengthen to maybe give us a better chances of getting top four.  It would depend on the players really.  

I haven't seen much of Hughes. I did watch Derby the other day though and he looked promising.  I'm not the manager, I don't need to have a way of playing, but of course there is a way I would go.

How the fuck does not being established translate into potential? That's like saying that if a fruit's not a pear then it must be an apple.

He was never worth £20m, Downing was just the average player plying his trade in England and we overpaid for him. Period.

Do a fucking poll

We bought him because he was an established premier league player

Stop talking complete shit to make your arguement fit

Open this up to the whole forum and we will see who agrees with you. Not many will.

28 years old, played in england all his life, played for england, played 250+ times in the premiership. Currently played for a premiership team and he wasnt signed as an established "less risk" type player?

Yea ok

Do the poll

Don't cry at the results though.....

Fuckign hell they are some mental spazz's on this forum

Do a fucking poll

We bought him because he was an established premier league player

Stop talking complete shit to make your arguement fit

Open this up to the whole forum and we will see who agrees with you. Not many will.

28 years old, played in england all his life, played for england, played 250+ times in the premiership. Currently played for a premiership team and he wasnt signed as an established "less risk" type player?

Yea ok

Do the poll

Don't cry at the results though.....

Fuckign hell they are some mental spazz's on this forum

Kenny was stupid to think he was a less risk player, is that not what we are saying? Or did you at that time think that he was a less risk player, because he played for Aston Villa for hundreds of games?

I have no miserable idea how did buying foreign players not work out for us. Our top players in recent years, none of them were British, bar Gerrard. I could easily name you the players who weren't British but were the top players.

Yes captain obvious, I do know that the transfer policy at that time was to go British, and for me it was so flawed that it was foolish to think that way from the fucking start, especially when he paid £20m for Downing. What I don't understand is your argument, are you still trying to say that going British is less risk, or did I misunderstand your statement?

No im saying this was our policy

I didn't agree with it. I knew downing was shit and we got stung on carroll. Football has moved on from "getting it out wide and getting corsses into the box" but sadly Kenny didn't realise this.

But the policy was still buying less risk type of players because they were British and didnt have to adpat to league or culture.

Our policy of buying less risk, established players, like these ones is something we have done for 20 years though.

Different managers have been buying different established/expereinced players froma ll over the world and it doesnt work. We need a plan and a system and finally after all these years we found a guy who has both.

No im saying this was our policy

I didn't agree with it. I knew downing was shit and we got stung on carroll. Football has moved on from "getting it out wide and getting corsses into the box" but sadly Kenny didn't realise this.

But the policy was still buying less risk type of players because they were British and didnt have to adpat to league or culture.

Our policy of buying less risk, established players, like these ones is something we have done for 20 years though.

Different managers have been buying different established/expereinced players froma ll over the world and it doesnt work. We need a plan and a system and finally after all these years we found a guy who has both.

I don't see how buying established foreign players by different managers didn't work. Really. Suarez, Torres, Masch, Alonso... There are so fucking many of our players in our club, as well as so fucking many players in other clubs who are foreign and now you're telling me they didn't work out?

Kenny was stupid to think he was a less risk player, is that not what we are saying? Or did you at that time think that he was a less risk player, because he played for Aston Villa for hundreds of games?

Yes we agree on that point

I didnt't think anything, i knew he was shit and he was a mid table player and i'd been saying it for years before we even got him

He was established in this league though in terms of experience, stats, goals, delivery from wide area's and thats why we spent bigger on him.

Was stupid

It's a plan we havent had for 20 years and nobody is going to tell me we have ever had a plan since Souness took over.

I have praised our transfer strategy since the transfer committee was formed.  We fucked up on Allen, Sahin and Borini - it was a shit window and we regressed.

But from January on wards I think we have made more 'hits' with our transfers than 'misses'.  

I like it how we are going for value.  Sturridge, Coutinho, Toure, Mignolet, Sakho were all really good value.  We won't get every transfer right and it is looking like Aspas wasn't good value, on what we have seen so far.  I like the look of Alberto, but given he's not playing much it is looking a poor use of resources that deal, so far.  Although in the future that might not be the case if he comes good.

If you look at our hits - Sturridge, Coutinho, Toure, Mignolet and Sakho were not only good value, they improved us instantly.  I don't think Hughes improves us instantly and that is why I feel it is a poor use of resources given our current situation. 

• Upvote 1

Yes we agree on that point

I didnt't think anything, i knew he was shit and he was a mid table player and i'd been saying it for years before we even got him

He was established in this league though in terms of experience, stats, goals, delivery from wide area's and thats why we spent bigger on him.

Was stupid

Good, at least our core argument remains the same.

However, I have no idea where you're coming from when you're saying that he was established in terms of stats, his record was pretty much mediocre or even worse than mediocre, whereas someone established and who is supposed to be deemed as good enough for us, would be players from the top 5-6 clubs, and not average players who were British.

I don't see how buying established foreign players by different managers didn't work. Really. Suarez, Torres, Masch, Alonso... There are so fucking many of our players in our club, as well as so fucking many players in other clubs who are foreign and now you're telling me they didn't work out?

One cup since 2008 would say yes, they didn't all work out.

The Alonso one is a prime example. He had been playing well in Spain for 2 years and we bought him based on the fact he had played well in a top league for 2+ years. So we were buying a player who had already established himself as being capable but still a risk in a different league........so the price was 10 million

Still a risk but we took it.

Its not my policy, it was the clubs stance. It was the stance Kenny took when he bought all those players. I've always said foreign players are better than English ones because they are more cultured in possession and arent taught to hoff the fucker when under pressure.

But thats a whole new topic.

End of the day the arguement is about buying potential over buying established/expereinced. And i have been saying we tred the established route under so many different managers that buying potential is a bettte policy for us right now.

• Downvote 2

I have praised our transfer strategy since the transfer committee was formed.  We fucked up on Allen, Sahin and Borini - it was a shit window and we regressed.

But from January on wards I think we have made more 'hits' with our transfers than 'misses'.  

I like it how we are going for value.  Sturridge, Coutinho, Toure, Mignolet, Sakho were all really good value.  We won't get every transfer right and it is looking like Aspas wasn't good value, on what we have seen so far.  I like the look of Alberto, but given he's not playing much it is looking a poor use of resources that deal, so far.  Although in the future that might not be the case if he comes good.

If you look at our hits - Sturridge, Coutinho, Toure, Mignolet and Sakho were not only good value, they improved us instantly.  I don't think Hughes improves us instantly and that is why I feel it is a poor use of resources given our current situation. 

We havent fucked up at all though

Sahin was gone within 5 months, how much did we lose in the transfer? Just his wages...

Borini has already been shipped out on loan, we as a club are aware he isnt good enough, we took the risk, but it didnt work out. But we rent even paying his wages right now and  we will still get 5+ million for him.

Allen is still here, back after a long injury but its obvious you have written him off after just one injury plagued season...nice one

Even if we sold allen we would get 10 million for him. So we might lose 7-10 million on them.......fine

What about the amount we lost on Joe Cole, Polusen, konchesky, adam, carroll, downing? We lost 12 million alone on downing in one fucking year!

So our new policy loses us way less money on our transfers and it is easier for us to get rid of the duds. So we get Coutinho for 11 million, 12 months later he is worth 25 million+?

We buy Strurridge for 12 million, 12 moths larter he is worth 25-30 million?

See how the new policy works in our favour on every level?

Keep buying potential Brendan, the fans will learn over time.

One cup since 2008 would say yes, they didn't all work out.

The Alonso one is a prime example. He had been playing well in Spain for 2 years and we bought him based on the fact he had played well in a top league for 2+ years. So we were buying a player who had already established himself as being capable but still a risk in a different league........so the price was 10 million

Still a risk but we took it.

Its not my policy, it was the clubs stance. It was the stance Kenny took when he bought all those players. I've always said foreign players are better than English ones because they are more cultured in possession and arent taught to hoff the fucker when under pressure.

But thats a whole new topic.

End of the day the arguement is about buying potential over buying established/expereinced. And i have been saying we tred the established route under so many different managers that buying potential is a bettte policy for us right now.

We've got more than enough players with potential already in our team than we can handle. If you think that buying Hughes will get us closer to the top 4, then I'm afraid the chances of it happening are so small.

Its a flawed argument that buying experienced players won't improve us, had we got the right players, we would have won the league already. There's no reason why we shouldn't be getting the real quality players who would fit instantly in our squad right now, improve us and get us realistically closer to our top 4 target, and instead use the $ to get a player which probably won't get to a standard that's good enough to displace our main XI. 

Sahin was gone within 5 months, how much did we lose in the transfer? Just his wages...

Borini has already been shipped out on loan, we as a club are aware he isnt good enough, we took the risk, but it didnt work out. But we rent even paying his wages right now and  we will still get 5+ million for him.

Allen is still here, back after a long injury but its obvious you have written him off after just one injury plagued season...nice one

Even if we sold allen we would get 10 million for him. So we might lose 7-10 million on them.......fine

What about the amount we lost on Joe Cole, Polusen, konchesky, adam, carroll, downing? We lost 12 million alone on downing in one fucking year!

So our new policy loses us way less money on our transfers and it is easier for us to get rid of the duds. So we get Coutinho for 11 million, 12 months later he is worth 25 million+?

I like it how he got rid of Sahin quickly - it wasn't working out. 

We fucked up because we had no match winners other than Suarez until January and our league position was woeful as a result.  He got it wrong last summer.

I would actually keep telling the transfer committee to keep buying (I assume Rodgers is one of many on that), not Rodgers himself, as that is what has been successful.

We paid 2m to loan Sahin btw.

There's no confirmation that Sunderland are paying 100% of Borini's wages.

Had we spent the money on the right established players the previous years, we would have gotten far better players and there is no miserable way they would fail as spectacularly as how they did. Higuain went for lesser $ than Carroll, and if we spent significantly less on Downing, he wouldn't be seen as a flop. Joe Cole was a flop, but we didn't pay for his transfer fee, and judging by how you deem losing 7-10m on a player who have played so little games for us, Adam, Konchesky and Poulsen made us an accumulated loss of less than 7m.

If it was so easy to pick off quality players off the bench of other teams, Arsenal would have won the title every season. We have just been lucky that's all, and it doesn't happen every day.

Try selling Sturridge off for 25-30m, you won't even get an offer near that, when there are much better players at that price.

I don't oppose the idea of signing Hughes, he's a lovely midfield option, but you do start to wonder about Alberto.

I also think, if we signed Hughes, that we need another experienced midfielder in to pull all this together, sort of like an Alonso, so that someone can sew all this together for a season or two.

Try selling Sturridge off for 25-30m, you won't even get an offer near that, when there are much better players at that price.

If we got back into the CL, and Sturridge performed then as he does now, then we'd easily be able to sell for £20m+

It's all about context isn't it, and product placement. Why are you on about selling Sturridge anyway?

If we got back into the CL, and Sturridge performed then as he does now, then we'd easily be able to sell for £20m+

It's all about context isn't it, and product placement. Why are you on about selling Sturridge anyway?

Yes, but that's only our valuation on him. Which team right now would need Sturridge and could fork out the 30m?

Yes, its all about context. I'm not talking about selling Sturridge though, its just that we are overestimating his valuation.

Yes, but that's only our valuation on him. Which team right now would need Sturridge and could fork out the 30m?

Yes, its all about context. I'm not talking about selling Sturridge though, its just that we are overestimating his valuation.

Probably, ironically, only Chelsea.

I agree with you though, he's still a £15m-£20m striker. Another 12-18 months of similar form would obviously change that.

Probably, ironically, only Chelsea.

I agree with you though, he's still a £15m-£20m striker. Another 12-18 months of similar form would obviously change that.

Chelsea are such thick cunts that they would never buy back a player which they sold. Avramovich & Mourinho would lose sleep if they did.

If Sturridge could keep up his form and score 20+ goals at the end of the season, with at least a handful coming against the top teams, then yes, it will change his price tag.

Sturidge would go for more than 30mil right now. He's a young England international who's smashing in goals left right and sometimes centre. Goalscorers are gold dust.

The mancs paid 15 mil for Zaha, a championship player in the summer who scored four goals for crystal palace in a lower division.