You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rumours emerging regarding Lallana interest on our part. Not sure if he can truly strengthen our midfield though?!

he'd be an ace signing, cost a shitload no doubt and whilst they will drop off from their current position I do think Southampton are going places so whilst I'm sure he'd move given the chance plenty of reason for him to stay also

Lallana would be an excellent signing, perfect for the wide roles in our system and excels in a fluid, one-touch situations, he's aggressive and is willing to take responsibility. It would still be a risk because he gets so much freedom at southampton that he can set the agenda and there's still coping with the pressure (Soton are playing without any real pressure right now), but deferring to a player of Luis' class shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Needs to work on his finishing mind...

That said, all these Soton stories are just easy content for media outlets. They have money, ambition and a strong unit playing well. The chairman is hard nosed and wants to bankroll the side into Europe. They have no motivation to sell and the players have no motivation to move. Any sales will be expensive, especially when we're talking of a homegrown player like Lallana or Shaw, even Ward-Prowse would be way overpriced.

The only player I can see us getting is Lambert and even that would be overpriced and only if the player pushes for the move.

I like Lallana and have actually rated him for a while now but I think he would be a big gamble for us at this stage. He might be the type of player who is able to step up to the top level but that is far from clear, and he would also cost at least what we paid for Joe Allen. I would be more comfortable with us signing someone more established and with more experience of European and international football.

Lallana would be an excellent signing, perfect for the wide roles in our system and excels in a fluid, one-touch situations, he's aggressive and is willing to take responsibility. It would still be a risk because he gets so much freedom at southampton that he can set the agenda and there's still coping with the pressure (Soton are playing without any real pressure right now), but deferring to a player of Luis' class shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Needs to work on his finishing mind...

That said, all these Soton stories are just easy content for media outlets. They have money, ambition and a strong unit playing well. The chairman is hard nosed and wants to bankroll the side into Europe. They have no motivation to sell and the players have no motivation to move. Any sales will be expensive, especially when we're talking of a homegrown player like Lallana or Shaw, even Ward-Prowse would be way overpriced.

The only player I can see us getting is Lambert and even that would be overpriced and only if the player pushes for the move.

I agree with that ^^^ up there.

So what is our priority for this window?

I believe that if the right player was available then the 25 or so million we bid for Willian would be still available.

Long term I reckon we need a left back and no.2 goalie but both are low priority and other than that our goalkeeper and defence is sorted.

In midfield we have plenty of bodies so it would only be a player that could go straight into the team and that would compliment Gerard we should be looking at. Matic of Benfica has been mentioned but realistically a club like Benfica are not going to sell big name players mid season unless there is some sort of special circumstances. I haven't heard anyone else mentioned and Rodgers has made a point of saying before that he doesn't feel we are missing a physical player in midfield so maybe we aren't looking for anyone.

We are covered nicely on the left with Coutinho and Moses but are short on the right with Henderson having played every minute so far this season. Again we are only going to looking for someone who can contribute immediately ala Sturridge/Coutinho last year and the only right wingers we have been linked to recently are Diego Capel and Adam Lallana both of whom seem unlikely targets, in terms of quality and risk/cost respectively. Just remebered Pastore was linked a month or two ago- another unlikely one but it would be nice.

Finally then up front, SAS will play every game when fit and Aspas should be back soon but didn't do much in the first few games to suggest he would make a big contribution. So will Rodgers look for another striker to play the role of Hernandez at Utd, perhaps the Greek fella mentioned on the previous page.

What would you look for and what will we get?

Personally I think we will end up with a back up striker and then a cheap/loan right sided attacker. But if we are still top 2/3 after Christmas and we could add a couple of players with real quality then it would be time to get very excited.

Transfer news: Kenny Dalglish hoping Liverpool can add in January

Kenny Dalglish believes the right additions in January, and retaining Luis Suarez, will keep Liverpool in title contention.

The Reds have enjoyed a spectacular start to the 2013/14 campaign, dropping just 10 points en route to a second-place standing in the Premier League table.

Just two points separate them from leaders Arsenal, while their offensive and defensive records are as good as anyone in the division.

The challenge now is to build on a bright start and mount a sustained push for a first top flight title in 24 years.

Dalglish, who is now a non-executive director at Anfield, sees no reason why Brendan Rodgers' side - along with another 'surprise package' in the form of Southampton - cannot remain in the mix if they come out of the winter transfer window stronger than they enter it.

He wrote in his Daily Mirror column: "A lot of the focus last weekend inevitably fell on Manchester United's 1-0 victory over Arsenal.

"It was a big win for United and their new manager David Moyes because it put them right back in the frame as title contenders.

"By stopping Arsenal, it also brought a lot of teams into contention again when they must have feared they were slipping out of the race.

"But I thought the teams that fared best were Southampton and Liverpool.

"They are the two sides that have been the surprise packages of the season so far and they appear to be the ones playing with the most freedom.

"They look fresh and eager and I think they are both being helped by the fact they don't have to worry about European football this season.

Advantage

"Of course, you want to be involved in the Champions League and the Europa League, if you can, but sometimes you can use your absence from those competitions to your advantage.

"We are not yet a third of the way through the season, but we are not far off and it is getting to the point where we have to take the claims of Southampton and Liverpool seriously.

"Nobody really considered either of them - especially the Saints - legitimate contenders for a top-four place this season.

"But they are reaping the benefits of not having to adapt to a new manager, as many of the leading clubs are having to do.

"It has got to the stage now where, if they buy in January, I think both might have a real chance of staying up there.

"We know that the top teams will all strengthen. Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City will all buy in the next window.

"So, if they can - if finances allow it - then Liverpool and Southampton need to do the same.

"If they do that, the rewards could be considerable. They have got themselves in position. Now they have to try to seize their opportunity."

Keeping Suarez - who has already netted eight goals this season and has struck up a fearsome SAS strike partnership with Daniel Sturridge - will be crucial to the Liverpool cause, with reports of interest from Real Madrid refusing to go away.

Dalglish added on the Uruguayan frontman: "There will be speculation about Luis Suarez leaving the Reds. There always is. But I don't think he's going anywhere.

"He's thriving in this Liverpool team and everyone at Anfield knows he is crucial to maintaining a challenge."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9028062/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter