You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oh well.

I've only been saying we need a new midfield for about 2 years.

Good to see the majority now see it.

Lucas is slower than me these days.

Wenger is rumoured to be after Malumbo.

Have you actually watched him?

Cabaye is an instant upgrade on any one of our midfield. Even if you ask him to take on a different role, he's better than anything we have currently.

Who do you have in mind then?

• Downvote 1

DM zone means the zone just in front of our centre backs where midfielders should prevent any attempts on goal, schematically it's the 25-35m or the famous "zone 14", normally the DM and CBs move together as a unit to press higher, we have Lucas who's doing the ball chasing all the time and leaves gaps behind him, CBs need to step forward to cover these gaps and that's why there's mess in our defensive play against decent teams who use these free spaces to bring players in and take shots. DM isn't about ball chasing, it's about building a platform to press high, cover CBs and anticipate where a danger area to cover is going to be.

BYFgRD9CcAABQJS.png

this shows the area of influence and where chances came from, majority of AFC's coming straight through our midfield, where a defensive midfielder should have been. Lucas is not a DM, never has been and never will be, he doesn't have instincts and understanding of this position. In Brazil he was a box-to-box midfielder, ballchaser. Benitez "transformed" him into DM and even after 200+ games he can't play that role because you can't learn that when you're 20+  unless you're a CB with great tactical awareness.

We played back 4 last season because Gerrard was very good and Henderson was doing all the running, now Gerrard's legs are gone and Henderson is not able to carry water for him AND Lucas. Lucas is a ballchaser who abandons his position and JH can't be in 3 places at the same time. That's why one of them has to be benched if we want to play with back 4. It's so obvious it's ridiculous, Rodgers knows it, people in the club see it, that's why defensive midfielder and replacing Lucas is our main objective for January. I can't find any other reason for not benching Lucas right now than him being a sacred cow. He needs to be replaced but he won't be because...? He's a good lad and it would upset him? Fans love him? He's loyal and dedicated? He's vice vice captain? He courageously came back after two serious injuries and needs time? Come on. Sandro came back after the exact same injury way quicker and is bossing games in midfield for those tottenham cunts. If that's not being a sacred cow then I'm sorry, but I give up mate. No one is bigger than the club and right now Rodgers is abandoning his beliefs, game philosophy and throws his plans out the window to set a team with Gerrard and Lucas and you can see all evidences of it. 5 at the back? No possession based football? Everything to cover the shit midfield with SG & LL in it. Hopefully only until January. 

Sorry for the OT lads.

After six years at the club playing 223 games. After playing under four different managers here who all played him regular when fit. With them managers having the chance to replace him and didnt, we still have fans who say he is shit.

Conclude what you will from that.

I take your point but let's not over egg it, one of them four managers was Roy Hodgson.

DM zone means the zone just in front of our centre backs where midfielders should prevent any attempts on goal, schematically it's the 25-35m or the famous "zone 14", normally the DM and CBs move together as a unit to press higher, we have Lucas who's doing the ball chasing all the time and leaves gaps behind him, CBs need to step forward to cover these gaps and that's why there's mess in our defensive play against decent teams who use these free spaces to bring players in and take shots. DM isn't about ball chasing, it's about building a platform to press high, cover CBs and anticipate where a danger area to cover is going to be.

BYFgRD9CcAABQJS.png

this shows the area of influence and where chances came from, majority of AFC's coming straight through our midfield, where a defensive midfielder should have been. Lucas is not a DM, never has been and never will be, he doesn't have instincts and understanding of this position. In Brazil he was a box-to-box midfielder, ballchaser. Benitez "transformed" him into DM and even after 200+ games he can't play that role because you can't learn that when you're 20+  unless you're a CB with great tactical awareness.

We played back 4 last season because Gerrard was very good and Henderson was doing all the running, now Gerrard's legs are gone and Henderson is not able to carry water for him AND Lucas. Lucas is a ballchaser who abandons his position and JH can't be in 3 places at the same time. That's why one of them has to be benched if we want to play with back 4. It's so obvious it's ridiculous, Rodgers knows it, people in the club see it, that's why defensive midfielder and replacing Lucas is our main objective for January. I can't find any other reason for not benching Lucas right now than him being a sacred cow. He needs to be replaced but he won't be because...? He's a good lad and it would upset him? Fans love him? He's loyal and dedicated? He's vice vice captain? He courageously came back after two serious injuries and needs time? Come on. Sandro came back after the exact same injury way quicker and is bossing games in midfield for those tottenham cunts. If that's not being a sacred cow then I'm sorry, but I give up mate. No one is bigger than the club and right now Rodgers is abandoning his beliefs, game philosophy and throws his plans out the window to set a team with Gerrard and Lucas and you can see all evidences of it. 5 at the back? No possession based football? Everything to cover the shit midfield with SG & LL in it. Hopefully only until January. 

Sorry for the OT lads.

Good post. If we are to challenge at the top level again then it's becoming increasingly clear that Lucas will have to be a squad player and we will need another, more dynamic option in that position. To be fair though, we will also have to start phasing out Gerrard because he doesn't look much better right now.

Lucas isn't tactically aware and is a ball chaser? I've heard it all now. I'm not his biggest fan but  he's the most tactically aware player in our entire team. His problem is his chronic lack of pace and inability to turn on the ball. Tactical awareness is not one of his problems. 

• Upvote 4

and all these managers were sacked and neither bought Lucas for their next team. Rodgers will be sacked too if he won't replace medicore players.

Rafa supposedly was in for him at Inter and now supposedly is again while at Napoli. Hodgson manages England where he can't buy players, and Kenny doesn't manage any other team.

I'm not saying he can't possibly be upgraded or at least bring in someone who might be able to take the position from him, but of the four managers one is still in the job and only one other currently works for another club which might have something to do with none of them buying him. Of course, it might also be down to us not wanting to sell.

• Upvote 1

Good post. If we are to challenge at the top level again then it's becoming increasingly clear that Lucas will have to be a squad player and we will need another, more dynamic option in that position. To be fair though, we will also have to start phasing out Gerrard because he doesn't look much better right now.

I think Gerrard needs better management, he should be an impact sub and should play higher to take shots and drive into the box like in the old days. Play him 60' or give him last 30'.

Lucas isn't tactically aware and is a ball chaser? I've heard it all now. I'm not his biggest fan but he's the most tactically aware player in our entire team. His problem is his chronic lack of pace and inability to turn on the ball. Tactical awareness is not one of his problems. 

there were/are plenty of slow DMs who can dictate the game in midfield and shield their defensive line, Lucas can't. OK mate, You can have another view on that, I just don't agree. 

The thing with Lucas is like has been said he was a box to box player and was converted to this role under Rafa.The role of Lucas is in the same way to what the chief does , meaning the aim is close down a player who has the ball. There arnt many players who s sole aim is to do that and then to play a simple pass to another player.

Most players who play a similar role are also expected to be able to carry the ball forward or hit a hollywood style 50 yard pass. The role of Lucas is simple in stopping the player with the ball by fair means if possable or by not fair means if his reading of the situation is one of I cant get the ball cleanly but if the player gets past me we will be in the shit. Then they will stop the player by other means.

For his role to be seen to its full potential in a side you need a player who sits either just behind him or aside him who is able to hit passes like Alonso use to here. It s no surprise the chief was not rated at West Ham simply because the squad didnt have a player in the Alonso mould to play along side him. 

With him now Lucas has Gerrard who has/is changing his game style from a box to box player to one who sits back in a Alonso type role. The problem here is one of keeping back his instinct of charging forward to one of restraint. I am not blaming Gerrard at all in this as he is doing a pretty great job up to now. When Gerrard does stick around Lucas it is pretty impressive how the team performs but when it dosent work it can be damaging and highlights the job Lucas does.

Lucas and the chief in todays game represent probably two of the best man markers in the game. The problem is that sort of role has become almost void in the game today with managers looking more for a almost dynamic all round type of dm player without the marking skills or sole aim of stopping a player.Lucas dosent appear to blessed with speed which is does baffle me in the fact he was rated so highly in Brazil as a box to box type of player.

So it isnt really fair laying all the blame at Lucas as he is doing what he is supposed to do . The question what should be getting asked is one of who needs to play the Alonso role or should we scrap all together the Lucas role and step into line with other clubs playing of that role.

To the original posters question I think Skrtel stays but Suarez I am not to sure about. I think it will depend on what teams in the champions league still who might see Suarez as there chance to win it. If I remember correct there was alot of talk of Luis getting a new contract when he stayed this season. I am pretty sure that contract didnt appear but instead a statement about a new one at the end of the season.

That to me means Suarez has said he will go in January if certain clubs want him and thus the club have said the new contract is at the end of the season.

Even with Luis playing the way he is I think his situation is far from solved here.

To the original posters question I think Skrtel stays but Suarez I am not to sure about. I think it will depend on what teams in the champions league still who might see Suarez as there chance to win it. If I remember correct there was alot of talk of Luis getting a new contract when he stayed this season. I am pretty sure that contract didnt appear but instead a statement about a new one at the end of the season.

That to me means Suarez has said he will go in January if certain clubs want him and thus the club have said the new contract is at the end of the season.

Even with Luis playing the way he is I think his situation is far from solved here.

I don't think the owners will sell until the summer.

They know our best chance of getting top four is with him and they need top four to kick the club on - on and off the field.

It is not like they will get anymore money selling him in January or the summer.  I can't see Suarez leaving in January.  

In the summer he might do though, if we get the right offer.

• Upvote 1

Left Back & another attacking player.  CM can wait till next summer.

If it was me I'd try and buy Shaw from Southampton & Fischer from Ajax.

We will be below 10th in February with the current midfield.

Shaw is very good but he'd cost too much and his head is set on Chelsea I'm afraid. Moreno is the player to buy for me. If not - then Willems, Oczipka or Rodriguez from Wolfsburg (he was PSGs second choice in case of Lucas Digne deal failure).

I'd love Fischer, amazing talent, one of my favourite players around but I think Ajax won't sell him atm.

I found our last transfer window dealings strange. Rodgers said he was looking to add goals and bought three center half's, although all three are good players its given the team a lop sided look. Our midfield has failed to score a single goal from open play, (possibly due to the system! And despite accommodating our defensive signings in to the team we are failing to keep clean sheets.

Unless the system changes before its too late a slide down the table imo looks inevitable. Also it confuses what midfeilders are playing well or not well, so it's not as easy to know what players we need and where they are going to fit into whatever system we'll be playing.

I'm confused. Switch to a back and attack attack attack Fulham. Then look at recruiting one or two top class midfield players in January. Our defensive and attacking players are fine, although a world class left back could be added to santas list.

I think the goals that Rodgers wanted came in the guise of the Armenian, too early to try and spell his name, Costa, the one that went to Chelsea.

We missed out on our three options and then seemed to go all defensive, no doubt we needed to strengthen at the back but we had other pressing areas as well.

Maybe he thought Lucas would get back to his best but that is not happening and Gerrards form has been poor, it makes the summer dealings look very bad.

Aspas looks like he is off, Alberto is not ready yet.  I had high hopes after the winter window but so far those hopes, seem very optimistic.