You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm not sure Chile will amount to much more than what they showed at the last World Cup. They play in a way that makes them look very dangerous (and often great to watch), without ever really having a cutting edge to finish off the numerous decent openings they create. They may yet be one of those sides that finds that clinical edge at the World Cup because there are always one or two sides for whom nearly everything clicks in a tournament and gets them further than anybody predicted, but the top sides are good enough to exploit all the gaps they leave and make them pay.

Its difficult to compare them to the European sides. I think the intensity that all the South American sides play at will surprise some people. Chile are now playing a little more like they were under Bielsa again, a huge difference to how they were under boring cunt Borghi.

I think they've got a great chance of getting to the semis, maybe even the final, with a favourable draw. They're capable of twatting anyone on their day, but similarly losing to some real shite as well. They'll score loads, and concede loads.

Vidal and Sanchez need to be right at the top of their game.

Just had a look and you can get them at 50s. Well worth a few quid, for me. As are Columbia at 33s and Uruguay at 40s. England are at 20s which, frankly, is fucking hilarious.

That 50/1 looks a cracking each way bet.

I'm not sure Chile will amount to much more than what they showed at the last World Cup. They play in a way that makes them look very dangerous (and often great to watch), without ever really having a cutting edge to finish off the numerous decent openings they create. They may yet be one of those sides that finds that clinical edge at the World Cup because there are always one or two sides for whom nearly everything clicks in a tournament and gets them further than anybody predicted, but the top sides are good enough to exploit all the gaps they leave and make them pay.

What, you mean get knocked out by Brazil?

Well yeah, if they get them in the Round of 16 they'll probably be knocked out again. Like everyone else would be.

What, you mean get knocked out by Brazil?

Well yeah, if they get them in the Round of 16 they'll probably be knocked out again. Like everyone else would be.

Chile are capable of going a long way in the tournament, IF everything clicks for them. But they set up in such a way that while it can be fantastic to watch when they attack, they are extremely vulnerable to being opened up by the really top sides that have a potent attack and a reliable defence. And yes, any side playing Brazil in the knockout stages of a World Cup really does have their work cut out for them to progress.

Not sure i agree with you mate. They've sailed into the World Cup finals, unbeaten in their last seven. Got three freindlies coming up against england, brazil and germany, should be interesting. If they hold their own against them ( i think they will ) that 50/1 will become a pipe dream. As they say, playing in your own continent is a huge advantage.

A nice each way and a match bet against england. Fucking ave it.

Here's Chile's recent form,

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/chile/chile/

I hope the Cabaye story has some legs to it, he'd be great for us. We have too many young midfielders anyway, not enough experience. He's got a tenacity about him as well, which I like. Rather that than Hughes coming in for a similar fee and not getting a game.

• Upvote 2

He isnt workd class but he would be better thsn what we have.

My worry was Rodgers being quoted as saying he wanted players with good mentality for the midfield.keeping possession etc and still doesn't serm arsed about having someone who can get stuck in when needed.

I hope the Cabaye story has some legs to it, he'd be great for us. We have too many young midfielders anyway, not enough experience. He's got a tenacity about him as well, which I like. Rather that than Hughes coming in for a similar fee and not getting a game.

Agreed. Really hope we don't sign Hughes if it has even the tiniest impact on our ability to sign players that will actually improve the team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Agreed. Really hope we don't sign Hughes if it has even the tiniest impact on our ability to sign players that will actually improve the team.

It's a bit short-termist, and might come back to bite us if he turns out to be an absolute world beater, but getting in the quality now is really important. I've got to agree that if it stops our progress now, it could well be way more damaging than missing out on a potentially good player. 

I really hope we won't sign Cabaye, that 10-15mil can be spent on much better and younger players, you can get Badelj, Banega, Rode, Clasie or Ahmedov for less. Besides, we need a defensive midfielder, and Cabaye won't solve any of our midfield problems + he would have to replace Gerrard because as a partnership they'd be even more terrible than LL-SG. He's not what we need, simple.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit short-termist, and might come back to bite us if he turns out to be an absolute world beater, but getting in the quality now is really important. I've got to agree that if it stops our progress now, it could well be way more damaging than missing out on a potentially good player. 

I don't think it is short-termist. The quicker we get back into the Champions League the better we are placed to build for the future.

I really hope we won't sign Cabaye, that 10-15mil can be spent on much better and younger players, you can get Badelj, Banega, Rode, Clasie or Ahmedov for less. Besides, we need a defensive midfielder, and Cabaye won't solve any of our midfield problems + he would have to replace Gerrard because as a partnership they'd be even more terrible than LL-SG. He's not what we need, simple.

WTF?? How do you know this? So the Banega who cost 20mil Euro is now gonna be 10 in pounds?

Badelj is a shout - but he has just moved clubs.

The last fella - more dodgy dealings.

For me Cabaye is as proven as we can hope for and can play (and improve us) anywhere in the midfield.

Banega will cost 12-14m, wants out and Valencia want to sell him.

Ahmedov is one of the best defensive midfielders around and he can play almost everywhere in midfield and defensive line mate, just ask anyone who's into football in Eastern Europe and can appreciate a proper DM. And he would be cheap as fuck too.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cabaye but we can do much much better than him, he'll be 28 next year, plenty of more talented and better players around and we've all seen that famous "proven PL quality" many times before, we don't need a player like him in the first place and such cash can be allocated on more urgent needs, we'd just be adding another decent player to our midfield who's not a DM and won't solve the problem of the lack of protection in the DM area for centre backs. We have a runway in front of our defensive line, it's been a problem since Mascherano left and we need a DM to cover it, not a Cabaye. Just look at the amount of shots we allow from the DM zone to see how poor our midfield is and how the lack of a good DM allows teams to stroll through it under the penalty area. Mignolet is one of the keepers with most saves in PL by no accident.