You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Late business makes it a successful window for LFC (ESPN article)

dave u

newboys_460.jpg

Having spent the last few weeks expressing concern over Liverpool's inability to make the signings they so clearly needed to compete for a top four spot, I'm happy to report that I'm a lot more relaxed after the business of the last couple of days.

It's been a busy summer at Anfield. There's little point in discussing the players that have left in too much detail; if you disregard the retired Jamie Carragher then Pepe Reina and Stewart Downing were the only first choice players to be moved on. Reina had been flirting with Barcelona for months and the club needed to protect its own interests by signing a new keeper, and the only issue with Downing's departure was that no replacement had been signed. With Victor Moses coming in that's no longer the case.

Most of the other departures were completely expected, although Fabio Borini leaving for Sunderland on a season long loan was a little surprising. That's a somewhat risky move from Liverpool's point of view as it leaves them slightly short of natural frontmen should Daniel Sturridge pick up an injury or Luis Suarez has one of his 'moments' again. The flipside is that the Italian desperately needs games and if he's not playing for Liverpool his transfer value can only plummet further. Whatever happens at Sunderland I'd be surprised if we saw him in a Liverpool shirt again.

In terms of the players recruited, overall it's been a productive summer thanks to that late spurt to get over the finish line with three new players. Eight new boys have arrived, with at least two (possibly three and maybe even four) expected to be in Brendan Rodgers' best XI when everybody is available.

Read the full article here.

Not having that 'option to buy' shouldn't hamper Liverpool's chances of making the Moses deal permanent should they so choose, but it does allow for Chelsea to bump up the price or for another club to swoop in with a bigger offer. And by 'another club' I obviously mean Spurs.

Good article Dave. The above is the high light for me!

Don't know what it was that Rodgers saw in Borini. He can have no excuses as he knew him well from his previous clubs, it's not like he just took a punt on a player who had a good scouting report. Rodgers himself was the scout. He's achieved nothing in his career so far to justify an £11m fee. Some players have weaknesses in some aspects of the game but strengths in others, Borini has nothing whatsoever to offer and I can't see him playing regularly at any club in the Premier League.

At least now there is a clear strategy with sensible buys at sensible money. Although they are unlikely to be enough to secure top four, at least now we stand a realistic chance of EL action next year.

This round of buying alone will be enough to see Rodgers see out his contract. We may not be shooting for the stars anymore, but at least we are in orbit.