You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Werner Interview

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I haven't listened to the interview, because I know the man is a lying prick, I read the quotes on here. Are you saying he didn't say he was modelling the club on man utd? If he didn't say that, fair enough my fuck up. If he did, I don't care what qualification he may have then tried to put around it. .

Right, okay, you didn't listen to it. That explains a lot. He basically spoken about the way United generate money to spend on putting a good team out every year.

Right' date=' okay, you didn't listen to it. That explains a lot. He basically spoken about the way United generate money to spend on putting a good team out every year.[/quote']

Do you think that's what united do? I don't. I think they used to pre glazier ownership, they now generate money to service debt brought on them by owners who are there for the benefit of themselves and have no interest in success on the pitch outside of the £££'s it might mean.

They have maintained their place at the top of the game despite their operating mode and not because of it.

They had the best manager of his generation in charge who masked many of the financial problems they've faced in recent years and the success he has brought has enabled them to keep increasing turnover off the pitch.

If we think we should look at man utds blueprint to success (I think their last accounts had their wages below 50% of turnover for the 1st time in the premier league years) as our way to drive forward, we're fucked. We're playing catch up, man united have never really had to do that. Our disappointing league position will undoubtedly impact our off-field earnings (we've just signed an extension to the SC deal, which its lack of fanfare would suggest we only matched or decreased revenues), while we continue to fail on the pitch, we will continue to fail off it - even if we do perform better than the corner shop mentality under moores, we're less successful on the pitch. How do we break the cycle? Investment or luck. I believe out aim is the latter, but the success of any side over the last 20 years would suggest you need the former.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you think that's what united do? I don't.

I think they have amazing revenue streams, which is what he was really pointing at. United are held back by Glazier, no doubt about that. However, we've not got a billion in debt, or whatever Utd are in, so we've not got to worry about that.

Lets not be naive, businessmen want to make money.

I think FSG want the TV money, and anything else is the clubs. It makes sense, they don't have to lift a finger to get the TV money, it's a guaranteed income. What a sound investment.

I think we'll be told to spend what we make through play sales and trimming the fat from the squad. And in some ways, wow, what a sensible plan that is. But we're competing against other teams who do not have budgetary parameters. That's not to say FSG are anything like H and G, you don't kill a golden goose, we're laying solid gold eggs made from TV money.

And in a way, I like the idea of working hard on a budget to compete with 'cheating' teams. It makes victory sweeter and it makes failure more easy to comprehend. But our best players will always be targeted by these cheaters as long as we're run like a responsible business.

I think they have amazing revenue streams' date=' which is what he was really pointing at. United are held back by Glazier, no doubt about that. However, we've not got a billion in debt, or whatever Utd are in, so we've not got to worry about that.[/quote']

Neither did the mancs at one point. Nothing to say as those revenue streams increase, wages come down we won't end up in exactly the same shit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Neither did the mancs at one point. Nothing to say as those revenue streams increase, wages come down we won't end up in exactly the same shit.

There's nothing to say lots of things. If they put loads of debt on the club and ritually 'rip money' from it to pay for the purchase, fine, me and you'll take up arms. Considering they've done the exact opposite of that, though, means I'm not going to do it yet.

Not far of the previous Yanks, the pointing at the phone and saying He's expects a call when asked about transfer dealing is far too similar to the Previous cunts.

He can sit by the fireside and drink out of an LFC mug or even send his son to The Sandon as far as I'm concerned - as long as FSG don't load their acquisition debts onto the club, then they're not like Hicks and Gillett at all.

He can sit by the fireside and drink out of an LFC mug or even send his son to The Sandon as far as I'm concerned - as long as FSG don't load their acquisition debts onto the club, then they're not like Hicks and Gillett at all.

I don't like them at all but I have no fear they'll ever do this.

If we think we should look at man utds blueprint to success (I think their last accounts had their wages below 50% of turnover for the 1st time in the premier league years) as our way to drive forward, we're fucked. We're playing catch up, man united have never really had to do that. Our disappointing league position will undoubtedly impact our off-field earnings (we've just signed an extension to the SC deal, which its lack of fanfare would suggest we only matched or decreased revenues), while we continue to fail on the pitch, we will continue to fail off it - even if we do perform better than the corner shop mentality under moores, we're less successful on the pitch. How do we break the cycle? Investment or luck. I believe out aim is the latter, but the success of any side over the last 20 years would suggest you need the former.

An excellent post in full.

You cannot defy gravity. Income is driven by Tv exposure. Tv exposure is about success. If we are not making progress in cup competitions and challenging in the league our revenue will decline.

The North West corporate entertaining hub is now Manchester, our failure to invest in the stadium is costing us now, and will cost us for years to come.

I saw the King Brenny interview on football focus in which he declared that his ambition was to be challenging for a top four slot by the end of his three year term- that is what things have come to.

You cannot defy gravity. Income is driven by Tv exposure. Tv exposure is about success. If we are not making progress in cup competitions and challenging in the league our revenue will decline.

The North West corporate entertaining hub is now Manchester, our failure to invest in the stadium is costing us now, and will cost us for years to come.

I saw the King Brenny interview on football focus in which he declared that his ambition was to be challenging for a top four slot by the end of his three year term- that is what things have come to.

Whilst not the same as my aspirations, given the last four years of relative dross, (remember BR was only here for one of those), I'd take champions league position the year after this.

There's nothing to say lots of things. If they put loads of debt on the club and ritually 'rip money' from it to pay for the purchase' date=' fine, me and you'll take up arms. Considering they've done the exact opposite of that, though, means I'm not going to do it yet.[/quote']

Except the drive of reducing wages points more to an exit plan or "glazier" strategy than it does any footballing ambition strategy. Instead of waiting for them to have their full 12 inches rammed up our arses as happened previously (in fact it took Roy hodgsons appointment and the subsequent shit football to get genuinely massive numbers realising just how deep in the shit we were), we'd do we'll to try and ensure we remain sceptical of their motives and do our best as fans to try and make sure they know we're watching their every move rather than lap it all up and clap our flippers like a seal for every morsel they might put our way.

They aren't bad owners they just aren't very good ones either. I'm not arsed about net spend and the wage reduction. We've paid far too much to too many average players without the cash cow of CL footy. Where they have failed is the expansion of the football club in particular the stadium. looking what they have done with the Red Sox I am annoyed that thy haven't begun stadium redevelopment yet + creating a fairer/cheaper ticket pricing scheme. $25 to watch the red sox in some seats, why the fuck do we not have similar at Anfield rather than raping the average kopite £40 a match. A match that lasts far less than Baseball. This to me suggests they are all about profits rather than the development & welfare of the club as a whole.

Except the drive of reducing wages points more to an exit plan or "glazier" strategy than it does any footballing ambition strategy.

Your post scared me a bit. Do you think they'll try and leverage or sell us to another leverage whore? It wouldn't be very unrealistic to make us profitable and then sell us (for a profit) to a leverage whore who would service our new debts(used to pay FSG's asking price) with our profits. Scary, scary stuff.

Well, we don't do too badly out of TV exposure and TV money considering we've finished 8th, 7th, and whatever else we finished in Kenny's first season and Rafa's last season. We may as well have finished 15th, it would have made little difference, we'd still be on the telly as much as the top four clubs, if not more. The reason for that is different though, it's because many people think it's ace to see Liverpool be beaten in front of millions of people, whereas we used to be on telly because we were winning. Either way, we're box office and as long as we're in the PL we will continue to be box office. We give our tv channel away for free, it's probably more watched than Eurosport, it's definitely more watched than the pay channels offered by the Mancs and Chelsea. Ours actually feels like a proper established channel now, theirs feel contrite and lucky to fill 4 hours a day.

We have massive exposure even without the CL, without winning trophies. By proxy of always being 'alright', we're always still mathematically in with a shout of the CL every single year until April at least. That's Aug to April of box office, we'll still pull the punters in. We always have 'hope', that's how Liverpool's fan base seem to endure these 23 years, and will endure the next 23 years, because each season is a new chance to do something special. And if we don't achieve it, well, it's a car crash and we all still tune in and rubberneck to watch it happen.

As for your comments about Manchester, well it's nothing new though is it? Manchester has always had the better road/air/rail infrastructure and geography. Manchester Airport has 19 million people going through it each year, and JLA has just 4 million. Manchester is about 40 mins quicker on the train from Euston. Us having a stadium isn't going to change that. Manchester are also to be linked to London via the HS2 Tory Train, more shocking news for you then.

Rodgers deserves 3 years. Any new manager deserves at least that. Two wrongs don't make a right, just because we've fucked up royally in the past by sacking Rafa, hiring Roy, and then hiring the club Totem Kenny despite not being in the game for 10 years, it's about time we stuck with a young manager and were realistic about what we want to achieve.

I can well understand us not getting CL football this season. Look around us, the money they've spent, from the position they started in, and then look at us with three teenagers on the bench, and our best player being a 20 year old and a mad twat.

Not sure you have called this one correctly Xerxes.

The elephant in the room is the fact that the united youth factory kept producing "tried and tested" premier league standard players year after year after year. The media labelled then all as then next ...... and SAF sold them for a fortune. Almost every club in the prem has an ex-Untd player who each will have earned them a few million. Three or four of these became a £20 - 30m player. Think about Greening, Eagles Butt, P Neville, Pique, Brown, O'Shea, Richardson, Foster, Shawcross, Gibson and many more who cost them nothing yet earned them a few mill in cash because they had decent providence.

This had nothing to do with commercial and TV revenue streams, it was straightforward man-in-the-street commonsense. whatever financial constraints SAF was working under he was still able to turn three or four no-hopers into a Ferdinand, Vidic, Cantona, Rooney, Van Persie or Nani on a regular basis. Our performance in this area (under several managers) was diabolical. We seemed to just give them away.

I'm also sure that the "price" placed on some players is directly proportional to the amount that can be earned from the TV/media stream. A top player these days seems to be in the £30 -40m bracket - which is roughly the minimum amount that can be earned each year from TV fees (of which we are still consistently in the top four). The range appears to be £40 - 70m for TV rights this season. Champions League will add another £20 - 40m.

On wages, the mancs must have a boardroom laugh-in before every home game as they cream in the revenue derived from an extra 30,000 supporters so I am in total agreement on this point. We need a bigger ground now (or ten years ago if it can be back dated)

As for Manchester being the entertainment hub of the North West we will have to agree to disagree. (I suspect even Blackpool would get upset at such a suggestion)

Manchester are also to be linked to London via the HS2 Tory Train, more shocking news for you then.

I agree with every poiint you make except this one.

Such a mindset can do nothing but deprive this region of any, much needed, benefits that may be achieved. It is going to happen so deal with it. If Labour had won the last ekection it would have happened anyway.

Love it, caress it, feel it's silkiness on your skin. Wallow in the enjoyment it brings you. Think back to the first time a girl ever gripped your cock and the pleasure you felt.

Then go tell your friends all ahbout HS2 and set about working out how this region can make the most out of it.