You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Home CCTV

Rico1304

Someone tried to break into our house last night by unhinging the patio doors. They gave up but obviously could come back at any time.

We are thinking about getting CCTV for the back of the house - can anyone recommend a system or tell me what to look out for?

Cheers

You can get a lot of new ones integrated into your home pc or with mobile integration, so if something triggers an alert you can view what is happening and decide whether to raise an alarm or not.

From what I understand, as I have a few colleagues who have worked in the home security software industry, it is a deterrent but only when linked to the sort of 'instant response' systems which are available. These are expensive but essentially when your alarm is triggered, you are contacted within one minute and asked, 'is this a false alarm?' If not, someone is dispatched to the address. This however is where my faith in it kinda fails in the UK. I think the systems are designed for the upper-middle class in the USA where they live in closed communities with private security guards. I've all respect for UK police but I don't think you'd get the same kinda response at an alarm being raised.

From what I understand there are 'two trip' systems available at the moment where if two triggers are activated someone is dispatched but again it seems to depend on the efficiency of the police in your area.

I'm a big believer in protecting your property, with lethal force if necessary but in this country we cannot, so when an Englishman's home is his castle, the only thing you can do is CCTV, fucking huge spikey fences and maybe a very aggressive dog.

Of course there are pretty decent social methods available if you are in a community. IR-activated lights and neighbours who look out for each other, taking down any hedges, fences etc which are gonna make it easy for a burglar to sneak in and do their business.

Burglars are scum of the fucking earth.

Have you considered lying in wait with a couple of snooker balls in a footie sock and beating the little cunt to death? Or bear traps? or wiring the windows up to the lecky?

If you killed the cunt and I was on the jury, there's no way you'd get convicted.

Burglars are scum of the fucking earth.

Have you considered lying in wait with a couple of snooker balls in a footie sock and beating the little cunt to death? Or bear traps? or wiring the windows up to the lecky?

Agree. Anyone who steals from their own class needs to die. I know my opinions can be 'out there' sometimes, but I can quite happily say that when someone enters your house with malicious intent the law should allow you to kill them with extreme prejudice, even if they are fleeing.

They will only be fleeing because they realized that the last 99 houses they burgled were easy, now someone is gonna stand up for themselves they want out...

Agree. Anyone who steals from their own class needs to die. I know my opinions can be 'out there' sometimes, but I can quite happily say that when someone enters your house with malicious intent the law should allow you to kill them with extreme prejudice, even if they are fleeing.

They will only be fleeing because they realized that the last 99 houses they burgled were easy, now someone is gonna stand up for themselves they want out...

I'm with you there believe me.

To make it worse I was away with work so the wife is scared.

Are you watching C4 now? Programme on burglary in Leeds. Cunts the lot of them.

I'm with you there believe me.

To make it worse I was away with work so the wife is scared.

Are you watching C4 now? Programme on burglary in Leeds. Cunts the lot of them.

Not gonna watch it because it will just make me rage. I am an aspie so my thinking is very black and white but I cannot believe we live in this liberal hellhole where were we are not allowed to defend our property.

If burglars understood that entering another persons property could likely result in a very painful death, as opposed to (maybe, if they hadn't done it at least 50 times before) 3 months in prison, surely they might not risk it?

The plastic caps on the hinges had been opened, police said they were checking to see if they could remove the pins that hold the doors, maybe they were disturbed. Now they know it can be done they can keep an eye out and if we forget the alarm or they think they have a bit of time we could be done.

Can I get a security camera with a turret as you might find in numerous video games set in the near-future? Ballistic or high-powered laser, I'm not really fussed, so long as it's highly lethal.

You could, but if you killed some guys who were trying to get into your house you would be arrested because you didn't want to be 'culturally enriched'

If burglars understood that entering another persons property could likely result in a very painful death, as opposed to (maybe, if they hadn't done it at least 50 times before) 3 months in prison, surely they might not risk it?

This must be the reason we have no theft in florida.