You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When County got the equalizer I thought I would have a fecking stroke. Now, after drinking a bit I wonder if things really might be different. When they got their second, I thought for sure we'd lose, but somehow we brought it back.

Stoke, Villa and now - last season we'd have drawn or lost each of those. Maybe the curse is being broken.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a pretty poor decision to field such a strong team this evening; there's a reason top clubs seldom do so. Not only do you risk needless injury and tiredness affecting matches of far greater import, but players are much more likely to switch off or simply not play to their usual standard in the early rounds of what is at best a tertiary competition. I suspect that a seemingly weaker XI would have beaten Notts County more comfortably.

I thought it was a pretty poor decision to field such a strong team this evening; there's a reason top clubs seldom do so. Not only do you risk needless injury and tiredness affecting matches of far greater import' date=' but players are much more likely to switch off or simply not play to their usual standard in the early rounds of what is at best a tertiary competition. I suspect that a seemingly weaker XI would have beaten Notts County more comfortably.[/quote']

Have you learnt nothing from our past cup performances/results?

I suspect that a seemingly weaker XI would have beaten Notts County more comfortably.

Probably right, and really down to FSG getting rid of some of those lesser senior squad members. Certainly a team with Carroll and Cole playing just off him with Downing providing width bosses those lot.

Just realized that we could possible play 3-4-3

----Wisdom----Agger---Cissokho------

-Johnson--------------------Enrique

------------Lucas-------------

------Gerrard--------Countinho---

--------------Aspas--------

------------Sturridge---------

Yeah we could - what you posted is not, but we could.

I thought it was a pretty poor decision to field such a strong team this evening; there's a reason top clubs seldom do so. Not only do you risk needless injury and tiredness affecting matches of far greater import' date=' but players are much more likely to switch off or simply not play to their usual standard in the early rounds of what is at best a tertiary competition. I suspect that a seemingly weaker XI would have beaten Notts County more comfortably.[/quote']

Northampton?

My season ticket is in the Lower Centenary but I sit in the Kop for cup ties.

Why, why was the Kop singing "Who are ya?"[sic] at Notts County? I know they won the Champions League under Nigel Clough, but is there some clever reference here I'm not getting?

Edited by chauncey

Today's team line up was a mistake by a rookie manager whose attempt at redeeming himself for last season's cup debacles resulted in an over-compensation that will cost us dearly. But I hope given some confidence that comes with a measure of success, Rodgers, the bright manager he is, will learn from this mistake. It's a learning curve for player and manager as well. For our owners, it's the time to dispel doubts regarding their true commitment to the success of Liverpool by adding good players to the squad.

Today's team line up was a mistake by a rookie manager whose attempt at redeeming himself for last season's cup debacles resulted in an over-compensation that will cost us dearly. But I hope given some confidence that comes with a measure of success, Rodgers, the bright manager he is, will learn from this mistake. It's a learning curve for player and manager as well. For our owners, it's the time to dispel doubts regarding their true commitment to the success of Liverpool by adding good players to the squad.

The only mistake was the players for not killing the game off. Injuries happen, it's shit but it happens.

When we went on our cup run season before last, we fielded our strongest against Exeter, Brighton etc. Suarez, Carroll, Gerrard, even Meireles before he was sold, all played. We were lucky no one was injured. This season in our first cup run, we fielded a full strength squad. Rodgers didn't want to repeat the mistakes of last season, but it was a heavy price to pay. Players get injured. To have three in the same match is unfortunate. But only Kolo would have featured against Utd probably. That's the biggest blow. It would have been worse to get knocked out and lose players to injury.

The concern I have about this match is that we're still not finishing our chances. 26 attempts in 120 mins. Players who were on for all that time will be fatigued, but they'll get recovery time. It's the finishing that worries most.

We played like kings when we went down to 10 men' date=' it was brilliant.

What does that say? I'm not even sure, but I love to look at it in more depth.

By the way, Gerrard is a shithouse, that was a fucking appalling performance, he strolled around the park. im not sure if he thinks he looks like Zidane in his languid style at times. He needs a word with himself because the were a lot of young lads out there who probably wondered what the fuck their captain was doing.

Well done Sterling, a brilliant stint at RB, that's how you develop lad.

Sturridge playing like an old head, still young though, lots of credit to him.[/quote']

You're a fuckin idiot

Costly night in terms of energy expended and injuries, and complacency in the second half. The positive being that with ten men we rallied and sent them packing with relative ease, which we would have struggled to do over the last few years.

One thing I really hate is when we are told before a cup match that our opponents are battling relegation in the lower leagues, or that they've been decimated by injuries, or that they're on a 10-game losing streak, because we somehow always find a way to make these games more fraught with danger than they ought to be. It happens every single time. I'd much rather we play against in-form high flyers if/when we are drawn against sides from the lower divisions.

Also about last night, could the referee really not find a kit that didn't clash with Notts County's kit? Time and time again I thought one of our players was going to give the ball away to an opponent, only for that 'opponent' to move out of the way. Liverpool wore red. Notts County wore black and white stripes. Liverpool's goalkeeper wore purple and pink. Notts County's goalkeeper wore yellow. Isn't it bloody obvious that the ref should wear something that doesn't clash - perhaps green?