You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The debate wasn't with you

There's your lack of awareness tripping you up again.

Public forum - On a public forum when you post up misinformation it's likely others will want to correct you. You can post with such certainty, such arrogance but facts remain and you know little about what it is you're talking about. That much is clear.

You were glossing over how we've lost out to Spurs on a few transfers now. Do you ever have a point?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's your lack of awareness tripping you up again.

Public forum - On a public forum when you post up misinformation it's likely others will want to correct you. You can post with such certainty, such arrogance but facts remain and you know little about what it is you're talking about. That much is clear.

You were glossing over how we've lost out to Spurs on a few transfers now. Do you ever have a point?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

G'night!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

G'night!

You're never shy about 'interrupting' a debate with poorly thought out comments. Here I am trying to enlighten you but you'd rather flounce. You spend so much time on here and yet you never seem to learn anything. It's only football - how hard can it be. Try to cover your bases at least if you want to play smarty pants.

Perhaps we just didn't want them that much Coro. That'll be it, when all's said and done.

FSG's website went as far as to announce the signing of Dempsey. We had to publicly apologise to Fulham for tapping up their player. Naturally, after that they weren't gonna let us have him on the cheap. From there we had no contingency plan only a letter of apology from JW Henry.

FSG's website went as far as to announce the signing of Dempsey. We had to publicly apologise to Fulham for tapping up their player. Naturally, after that they weren't gonna let us have him on the cheap. From there we had no contingency plan only a letter of apology from JW Henry.

So you get that right - we wanted him at a certain price (on the cheap) and didn't want him at another (what Villa bid) - in fact a mill more than the one that, as it turned out, Spurs didn't want him at either - 6m in transfer plus 91k a week. For four years - at 29. Which would be why they dumped him.

You're never shy about 'interrupting' a debate with poorly thought out comments. Here I am trying to enlighten you but you'd rather flounce. You spend so much time on here and yet you never seem to learn anything. It's only football - how hard can it be. Try to cover your bases at least if you want to play smarty pants.

parkourfail.gif

So you get that right - we wanted him at a certain price (on the cheap) and didn't want him at another (what Villa bid) - in fact a mill more than the one that, as it turned out, Spurs didn't want him at either - 6m in transfer plus 91k a week. For four years - at 29. Which would be why they dumped him.

The minute we were caught tapping him up any deal was a no go.

The minute we were caught tapping him up any deal was a no go.

That is not true, we had plenty of time to match the fee and wouldn't, as you quoted "the club didn't feel Dempsey was worth the fee". And they were right. He wasn't, and Spurs have decided as much as well.

Now, with the added benefit of hindsight, do you feel he was worth the fee?

That is not true, we had plenty of time to match the fee and wouldn't, as you quoted "the club didn't feel Dempsey was worth the fee". And they were right. He wasn't, and Spurs have decided as much as well.

Now, with the added benefit of hindsight, do you feel he was worth the fee?

How have Spurs decided that when they paid the fee?

We fucked our bargaining position the minute we were caught tapping him up.

How have Spurs decided that when they paid the fee?

We fucked our bargaining position the minute we were caught tapping him up.

They acknowledged it in 16 weeks time by trying to sell him back to Fulham in January and then underlined it by dumping him to Seattle.

I may not be following you - we decided not to meet his valuation right?

No bargaining is going on in a three team bidding war - Villa set the price.

As stated - we decided Dempsey was not worth 6m and 91k a week, there was no bargaining, and you disagree with that?

I honestly don't think Fulham were ever going to sell Dempsey to us. If it was just a case of price it may have been done, but the reports of them shifting the goalposts reek of a chairman/owner desperate to see us miss out. Beyond overpaying to Carroll levels i don't think we were ever closing that deal.

Similar to when Chelsea let the Robinho cat out of the bag, it was a case of anywhere but here for Fulham, and Spurs were on hand to oblige.

I honestly don't think Fulham were ever going to sell Dempsey to us. If it was just a case of price it may have been done' date=' but the reports of them shifting the goalposts reek of a chairman/owner desperate to see us miss out. Beyond overpaying to Carroll levels i don't think we were ever closing that deal.

Similar to when Chelsea let the Robinho cat out of the bag, it was a case of anywhere but here for Fulham, and Spurs were on hand to oblige.[/quote']

He held on til the last hour waiting for us to meet their number - they were long over the fact that he was going to go. He forced the move remember.

The contingency plan was not to buy Dempsey. The failure was not to buy anybody else. That was a bit of a disaster. But this year's issue is one of appetite I think. They just don't want to blow that much money on him I assume. Spurs want him more.

As stated - we decided Dempsey was not worth 6m and 91k a week, there was no bargaining, and you disagree with that?

Fulham set the price not Villa. Fulham were pissed off with us for tapping up their player. I don't believe for a second that we walked away simply because of the finances involved. They knew enough about the player to be announcing his signing on their website. It was a display of incompetence that left us in a difficult position with no contingency leaving us to start the season with only one recognised striker/goalscorer.

That says it all especially Rodgers comments as well as wheeling and dealing by selling in order to buy. By implementing this kind of strategy and purchasing squad players whilst our competitors strengthen their teams with quality players how on earth do you expect to compete for top 4.

We just have to live with reality that we have become a top eight team. There is no way we can finish in the top four with the current squad that we have.

Not seen it posted from the times earlier.

Good that from Barrett. It reads like hes having a go at them which I'd agree with. Could be picking it up wrong though.

In comparison, the latest Telegraph article on the current situation reads like FSG wrote it themselves. Not going to post it incase theres any issues there but shouldn't be hard to find.

I honestly don't think Fulham were ever going to sell Dempsey to us. If it was just a case of price it may have been done' date=' but the reports of them shifting the goalposts reek of a chairman/owner desperate to see us miss out. Beyond overpaying to Carroll levels i don't think we were ever closing that deal.

[/quote']

If we were competent we would have got Dempsey for around 6m but instead we made a mess of things and it became preferable for Fulham to sell to another London club. I remember Martin Jol being pretty pissed off at the way we had handled things with him citing a lack of respect on our behalf.

Just plain bad business. He was a player the manager wanted and the club should have backed him properly.

Fulham set the price not Villa.

By all reports, Villa set the price on the final day (7m) and Fulham agreed to it. The player then refused to move to Villa and it was understood that is the valuation we would not move up to. Spurs then came in and paid 6 and way more in wages, way alot more. 91k over four years way alot more.

As far as I know no other bid other than our first one (4.5) was lodged, by us or anyone else. Do you know differently?

Just plain bad business. He was a player the manager wanted and the club should have backed him properly.

This is where you are completely wrong on both accounts.

It was good business at the beginning - it was a major fuck up to post it on the site - but it was good business to engage the player from the get go. In fact it is what people are bitching about now with Miktharyan and Costa and Willian. How the fuck could we have pursued these guys without verifying they were on for a move first? Stupidity, every other team does it.

The second part is ludicrous.

By all reports, Villa set the price on the final day (7m) and Fulham agreed to it. The player then refused to move to Villa and it was understood that is the valuation we would not move up to. Spurs then came in and paid 6 and way more in wages, way alot more. 91k over four years way alot more.

As far as I know no other bid other than our first one (4.5) was lodged, by us or anyone else. Do you know differently?

I know our bid was derisory given what had gone on.

Jol - "it's a sad situation and embarrassing."

We had unsettled the player early on in the summer according to Jol yet never returned with a formal bid until the last minute and by that time his price had gone up. Understandably from Fulham's point of view they were pissed off at the way we had handled things and their preference was to deal with anyone but us.

By all reports' date=' Villa set the price on the final day (7m) and Fulham agreed to it. The player then refused to move to Villa and it was understood that is the valuation we would not move up to. Spurs then came in and paid 6 and way more in wages, way alot more. 91k over four years way alot more.

As far as I know no other bid other than our first one (4.5) was lodged, by us or anyone else. Do you know differently?[/quote']

So how did villa set the price at 7m when the final fee agreed with Fulham was 6m?

As for our involvement. We agreed personal terms with the player in April, only we fucked about trying to save a few quid on the fee and then fucked Fulham off by accidentally announcing it on NESN. It was 100% incompetence all the way.