You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BT broadband

Lucky Pierre

I know there are a few comparison threads on here but this is solely for reviews of BT. It would cost me a fiver a month extra to swap from EE to BT, which is nothing compared to the £12 a month plus £15 set up fee they charge for the sports channels on Sky.

They claim to do a completely unlimited broadband that has no cap and you don't get slowed down at peak times? Is this actually true? As EE also claimed this but I notice I get a slower speed of an evening. What's the customer service and product quality like? I don't mind a poor customer service if I never have to call them anyway.

• 1 month later...

To be fair, I've found Infinity 2 to be brilliant since I switched to BT. My connection has been rock solid. I recently had to reboot my router when I found my speed had dropped from 56meg to about 10! Mind, my connection had been up since March which was something like 200 and odd days! Previously, my connection used to drop every 4 or 5 days.

BT dont slow you down, they let the network do that if it gets too busy at peak times. Even so, I find I still get over 40meg download. So, no caps on downloads either.

Be careful with the speed estimator though. Although the estimate for my line was slightly less than Im getting, some people with aluminium lines get a normal speed estimate and once they are connected, their speed goes south quicker than a duck in winter.

Problem is, there's not way to know if your line is aluminium.

We have BT and there are days we lose our connection 5 or 6 times. I have no idea why and the only time I phoned them about it I ended up shouting at the automatic 'we'll speak to you as soon as we can' messages, and ended up putting the phone down. Got BT sport which is ok though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

We have BT and there are days we lose our connection 5 or 6 times. I have no idea why and the only time I phoned them about it I ended up shouting at the automatic 'we'll speak to you as soon as we can' messages, and ended up putting the phone down. Got BT sport which is ok though.

You on Infinity or ADSL with them?

You shouldnt really be getting disconnects on Infinity and likely means there's a line fault. In the first few days of Infinity I did have issues which were traced to a long standing line fault in the local cabinet (funny they couldnt find any fault when I was on ADSL!).

Send a message to @btcare via twitter. They are based in Northern Ireland. Get good service from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

To be fair, I've found Infinity 2 to be brilliant since I switched to BT. My connection has been rock solid. I recently had to reboot my router when I found my speed had dropped from 56meg to about 10! Mind, my connection had been up since March which was something like 200 and odd days! Previously, my connection used to drop every 4 or 5 days.

BT dont slow you down, they let the network do that if it gets too busy at peak times. Even so, I find I still get over 40meg download. So, no caps on downloads either.

Be careful with the speed estimator though. Although the estimate for my line was slightly less than Im getting, some people with aluminium lines get a normal speed estimate and once they are connected, their speed goes south quicker than a duck in winter.

Problem is, there's not way to know if your line is aluminium.

This. Fast as fuck, got it upgraded a fortnight ago. Unbelievably fast and I haven't noticed any slow down during peak hours but as Sam says there are variables like your buildings line and distance from exchange. That is common for all ISPs though.

Recently swapped from Sky to Plusnet and the difference has been amazing.

With a best ever speed on sky of less than 2meg I'm currently getting at least 7meg with Plusnet and that's wifi too.

Hardly anything to write home about for you lot, but us webbed feet wonders in the sticks it's like the invention of the tin opener. Great customer service as well.

Recently swapped from Sky to Plusnet and the difference has been amazing.

With a best ever speed on sky of less than 2meg I'm currently getting at least 7meg with Plusnet and that's wifi too.

Hardly anything to write home about for you lot, but us webbed feet wonders in the sticks it's like the invention of the tin opener. Great customer service as well.

Id like to try PlusNet myself but dont think its available round here. Im hating Sky broadband more every day.

They will slow down if you use torrent clients. Fact.

Otherwise BT have been first class for me.

Cheers

This is spot on. Torrents are really slow until midnight, then it's lightning fast until the morning which is usually enough time to download anything you need but its annoying if you want anything instantly.

• 3 weeks later...

just want to pop in here and say that talktalk is the worst piece of garbage ever. it took me 3 weeks to get a enginer to set up the phone and broadband, 3 weeks later both are not working and they say it will take another 3 weeks before they sent out another engineer, so in 9 weeks service i have had 3 weeks of phone and broadband.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering getting fibre optic off Sky but I'm currently getting around 11-12mbs on their broadband and don't no if it's worth bothering getting the extra mbs.

Check what speeds BT could give you, Sky will be no better as they'll be using their lines.

Virgin whilst not cheap offer the best fibre optic by a mile in my experience.

• 9 months later...

Are those on BT still happy with it?

Thinking of upgrading to infinity 26 per month (20 for first 3 months)

Obviously I will get BT sport for that too, although I believe HD is extra too

Had Infinity for a month or so, and had no problems to speak of. Just had the one instance of the hub rebooting so far, only a couple of minutes down time, so no great shakes.

Just ordered my fibre upgrade which bt are in the process of installing into the exchange and cabinets. Signed up to broadband few months back and was a nightmare to get it switched on. The customer service is appalling but since I eventually got it working I've had no issues. The call centres know fuck all but their hubs are reliable.

Just ordered my fibre upgrade which bt are in the process of installing into the exchange and cabinets. Signed up to broadband few months back and was a nightmare to get it switched on. The customer service is appalling but since I eventually got it working I've had no issues. The call centres know fuck all but their hubs are reliable.

you'll be getting a new hub for the fibre optic.  BT's service is much improved though, as is the technology - I went from having two 'broadband' lines into the house, each at about 3Mb, to one at 70Mb.  

you'll be getting a new hub for the fibre optic. BT's service is much improved though, as is the technology - I went from having two 'broadband' lines into the house, each at about 3Mb, to one at 70Mb.

Yeah they wanted to charge me £7 delivery for the new hub but they knocked it off when I called them.

I've swerved bt because my connection has been up and down for about a month and every conversation I have with bt ends in them trying to push the fibreoptic on me for a higher cost rather than fix my issue.

Few people I know have had a similar issue. I think they've just stopped maintaining the old service to try and get people to upgrade