You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke City - Home - 17th Aug

Alex Gibbo

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See no reason why Sturridge shouldn't start, played a half against Celtic and looked sharp as ever and gave their two centre backs a torrid time. I don't like the thought of Aspas up against the likes of Huth and co., he may be physically bullied and have a similar performance to his first half against Celtic.

Yes I'm a bit worried we'll have the same old problems against Stoke who will be more than happy to invite us on and sit deep. Aspas will run the line and the channels all day I have no concerns about that but we need to turn those big yard dogs to get in behind. They'll lap it up if we're forced across the park and back and just cross hopefully from deep full back positions.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd probably start Henderson ahead of Allen against the neanderthals.

I would too, but I'd be shocked if it's not that side I posted up on the first page. I'd play Coates too. We've no pace to worry about, just height. I would playHenderson and Lucas as the two more defensive players and Gerrard as the more attacking.

Won't happen, though.

I would too, but I'd be shocked if it's not that side I posted up on the first page. I'd play Coates too. We've no pace to worry about, just height. I would playHenderson and Lucas as the two more defensive players and Gerrard as the more attacking.

Won't happen, though.

I'd be surprised if Coates is still here by the end of the window so I'd say no chance of him playing but he is a player I like, has his flaws but I think he could be a bit of a rough diamond, given our current lack of experienced out and out wide players and how Stoke are likely to play I wouldn't be adverse to seeing something like this

-------------Mignolet---------------

-------Toure--Coates--Agger--------

Johnson---------------------Enrique

----------Lucas----Gerrard------------

---------------Coutinho--------------

----------Sturridge--Aspas------------

Just win, please.

On paper we have a good set of fixtures to start the season, we musn't fall off the pace from the start, if we do its another long hard season ahead.

First 10 games we want something like 6 2 2 or 6 3 1, need 6 wins for sure, 3 or 4 is not good enough, 5 is the minimum.

Shall we say 20 points from the first 10 is the target?

Coutinho will be key in this game, and the season for that matter. City, when they won the league, and Chelsea last season, both gained a lot from Silva and Mata breaking teams down and penetrating defenses. Coutinho is in the same league, I think, and can make a real difference tomorrow.

In a way I'm glad Suarez is suspended. It will be harder for Stoke to mug Coutinho, Sturridge and Aspas as they don't carry the same baggage. I mean if they get stomped in the back they might earn a free kick.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd be surprised if Coates is still here by the end of the window so I'd say no chance of him playing

Nope, I agree. No chance. I was just saying what I'd do if I was picking the side. I think we will go with the one I put up earlier. Nailed on, in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if Coates is still here by the end of the window so I'd say no chance of him playing but he is a player I like' date=' has his flaws but I think he could be a bit of a rough diamond, given our current lack of experienced out and out wide players and how Stoke are likely to play I wouldn't be adverse to seeing something like this

-------------Mignolet---------------

-------Toure--Coates--Agger--------

Johnson---------------------Enrique

----------Lucas----Gerrard------------

---------------Coutinho--------------

----------Sturridge--Aspas------------[/quote']

I like that line up, id swap Coates for Skrtel though.

Just win, please.

On paper we have a good set of fixtures to start the season, we musn't fall off the pace from the start, if we do its another long hard season ahead.

First 10 games we want something like 6 2 2 or 6 3 1, need 6 wins for sure, 3 or 4 is not good enough, 5 is the minimum.

My view is that 6 is the minimum. I know everyone (well, most people on here) is overflowing with pre-season optimism but I think our start is more important this year than for some time. If we fail to win tomorrow the teams we hope to rival will look at us and rightly assume that nothing has changed. More of the same for another season - lots of possession, lots of chances, few converted. A curate's egg of a team.

The alternative is that we beat Stoke and all the other no-hopers quite convincingly and get ourselves into a really healthy position going into October. It puts the pressure on the teams trying to catch us instead of the other way around as it has been for most of the last decade. My view is that the higher the league position the greater the self-belief in the whole team.

What we need to see is something like 7-3-0 or 8-2-0.

Winners win.

---------Mingolet-------------

Johnson, Agger, Toure, Enrique

----------Lucas--------------

-----Gerrard, Coutinho--------

Sterling,------------ Aspas

------------Borini-------------

Sturridge on in second half. Maybe Henderson for Sterling.

Fingers crossed - anything better than 2-0 will be a bonus.