You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Smith þ@BenSmithBBC 8s

#LFC have, I'm told, missed out on Willian. Leandro Damiao not on list of alternatives.

Why would/should Damiao be on this fabled list? Who cares?

I'd rather Fred was on this list.

Where is this list of alternatives, great find from Ben Smith, we must have just left it lying around.

Spurs willing to pay that bit extra does that show more ambition on their behalf. Doing what it takes what needs to be done to breach that top 4. We walk to the top of the scary slide but as soon as we get there we have second thoughts tremble and do the walk of shame back. We can get players but in our position it will cost, we certainly don't sell ambition.

BBC now saying that Spurs have got Willian AND Lamela (who is rated really highly). They're obviously losing Bale which is a blow but that is some way to replace him.

Looking at how that leaves their squad, we can't compete with them. So add them to the list with the other 3 teams and we're now scrapping with Arsenal for 5th now.

What a fucking nightmare.

BBC now saying that Spurs have got Willian AND Lamela (who is rated really highly). They're obviously losing Bale which is a blow but that is some way to replace him.

Looking at how that leaves their squad, we can't compete with them. So add them to the list with the other 3 teams and we're now scrapping with Arsenal for 5th now.

Yep.

But you don't sell your best players though!

More great news.

I'm too deflated to get into discussions on here about it on because I can't be arsed but in summary its a fucking embarrassment.

Heads better fucking roll. Not because I really wanted Willian but because we've missed out every single one of our major targets, all summer.

What fucking use is a transfer committee and executive structure if they can only secure targets that nobody else (aside from Southampton) wants? My fucking nan could have secured deals for Toure, Aspas, et al.

I also personally believe that we have fuck all strategy - what Dave eluded to and what I eluded to earlier in the summer. We just seem to be out for any forward player. What the fuck do our scouts do to earn their keep? Because it certainly wasn't their groundwork which made Willian a target. It was Anzhi whoring him around Europe to find him a suitor. Similar goes for Costa.

Our priority this summer wasn't the squad. It was the first team. We had fucking months to get these players in (and would have had a better chance at it earlier, given Spurs were waiting for an injection of cash) and we were sat on our hands gazing at Mikhitaryan or patting ourselves on the back for signing Luis Alberto. We should have had a list of 10's of targets by the end of the last year - it doesn't seem we even have one (that hasn't been chosen on a whim) right now.

Its gutting because we have the bones of a great team. And I believe in Rodgers. But its no use when you have a 17 year old Jordan Ibe coming off the bench to save you games.

I am fed up of listening to the PR nonsense that comes from our club, we love to talk but never follow it up. Have we really done everything we could for the 3 targets we blabbed to the press about. What is our strategy? Surely if we have a list of targets why leave it so late to upgrade our first 11. This summer was the only realistic opportunity to close the gap yet we are in the black for our transfer activity. The club need to pull some rabbits out of the hat asap, otherwise FSG have some serious questions to answer.

It's a wake up call - we aren't competing against the top 4, we are competing against 5 teams who are ahead of us.

I think people are going over the top about 'strategy' and the like, United, Arsenal and to a lesser degree Chelsea haven't signed a big player either - there are not that many options for a club like us. City have, but money isn't a problem for them. Spurs have just sold their best player for £80m and subsequently are spending that money.

Turning in to a shambles this summer now.

The fact that our pursuit of every target this summer has been so public just compounds things. Who's responsible for that is open for debate.

Everything we do seems to take weeks and weeks, before eventually missing out to someone else.

The worry now is we'll go and spend a wedge on some no mark like Tom Ince and try and paint it as a Messi-esque coup.

I can accept us missing out on targets, our pull isn't great, an unproven manager , no European football. But missing out on absolutely everyone we go for, and so publically at that, is pretty embarrassing.

You lads are going to be gutted when we beat Spurs. It just wont make any sense to you, you'll have to hand your badges in.

I'm not sure many of you 'get' football. United spent £1m this Summer and will still shit on Spurs because they have a system and they have the ability to not concede and to make chances. Even with Cleverly and Carrick and Welbeck, they'll still beat Spurs.

The star is the system. We've got one and we've got the players to suit it. You can shove your Paulinho's up your arse, he won't fancy a 50/50 with Gerrard or Lucas.

Neither of them is a proven success. Bale was the best player of last season. Him leaving the league is a great thing for us.

Bit of an understatement.

I knew he would choose KFC over us, they're 2-3 years ahead of us with their squad strength & deep, not to mention recent CL spot and finishing just outside top 4, they're the same size of a club as Anzhi tho, so fuck him and let's sign someone who at least WANTS to play here

This stuff doesn't work anymore with players of this day and age. Success begets success. The Mancs realized it a long time ago, then came Chelsea and now its looking like Spurs are catching on, not to mention City. Until we realize this as a club we will continue to regress.

Regrettably we are unable to get the likes of Willian to sign because we are unwilling or unable to pay stupid money and wages to get them to sign. What did Citeh and the Chavs do when they wanted to break into the top 4 and challenge for the title ? Spurs are ahead of us now even without Bale and Liverpool trying to compete on equal terms doesn't cut it. These guys are fucking mercanaries and our history and pedigree is worth fuck all. They look at the lottery winners at the Bridge and in Manchester and see that shed loads of cash can turn mid table nobodys into champions. The Spuds are on the same track whilst we are talking the talk we seem to be in denial about he hard facts of life when it comes to getting back on the top table. The longer we leave it the harder and more expensive it will become. We will probably need new owners with deeper pockets if things are to change otherwise battling it out for 6th with the Bitters is the new reality. The odd Carling cup of course

to soften the blow.

Regrettably we are unable to get the likes of Willian to sign because we are unwilling or unable to pay stupid money and wages to get them to sign. What did Citeh and the Chavs do when they wanted to break into the top 4 and challenge for the title ? Spurs are ahead of us now even without Bale and Liverpool trying to compete on equal terms doesn't cut it. These guys are fucking mercanaries and our history and pedigree is worth fuck all. They look at the lottery winners at the Bridge and in Manchester and see that shed loads of cash can turn mid table nobodys into champions. The Spuds are on the same track whilst we are talking the talk we seem to be in denial about he hard facts of life when it comes to getting back on the top table. The longer we leave it the harder and more expensive it will become. We will probably need new owners with deeper pockets if things are to change otherwise battling it out for 6th with the Bitters is the new reality. The odd Carling cup of course

to soften the blow.

Hard to take, but true all the same.