You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I agree all the evidence is we're almost trying not to compete

What evidence is there that we are trying not to compete?

Nobody is saying we aren't

Wait a second. I've asked a question about something you posted. I should have jeered at the cock-eyed nonsense, but I didn't. After all, you're a Liverpool fan with an opinion and you're entitled to share it just as much as anybody else. I thought I'd just ask the question in a civilised way. You know, just to try to keep things amicable. It was pretty contentious - you were talking about 'all the evidence' - so I thought it was right to query it. You don't like to be query about your outlook, do you?

although it is very like you to act the cunt and try to orchestrate the same argument you have over again.

You seem like bit of a bitch. I asked a very simple question, which you've avoided answering, and called me a cunt. Is there any need? It wasn't like I told you to shut up, you bell end. I asked what evidence. That's how conversations typically work. Somebody says something, then another person responds to that. If you didn't want a conversation, that's fine, just ignore me. If you did, just answer like a normal human being.

The point is simple, our best chance to get the player is to put the best package in front of him. The board have at times been conservative (siggudson for example) and we can argue about the rights and wrongs of that all day. However if you believe a player is worth £30m that has to be the time to ensure we out the best possible package together. It's not like we're up against a rich club, we should be able to put a better salary for the player than spurs. Do you argue with that pint of view? I'm sure you'll try.

The board didn't decide not to sign Sigurdsson, the manager did. He's on record as saying it. They were conservative on Dempsey. They weren't conservative on Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Henderson, Allen, Borini, Sturridge, or Coutinho, though. If we're honest, maybe they should have been with some of those players.

That's not the point. I don't argue we should go to our limits, maybe even a bit more, to get the manager a player he wants. We shouldn't go stupid, like we did with Carroll or Downing, but we should do what it takes at the moment. I've made that clear in this thread already. There does have to be a line, though.

Now, back to this evidence about not wanting to compete.

Fucking shit mirror.

Willian should reject Liverpool transfer and sign for potential title contenders Tottenham - Darren Lewis - Mirror Online

A month ago he was marooned in Russia when he would rather be here in the Premier League.

Now Willian has a choice to make - Does he fancy a move to Spurs or Liverpool?

Don't read too much into claims from Spurs boss Andre Villas Boas that a formal bid from the north Londoners hasn't gone in yet.

Anzhi simply want to get the big-earning player off their books. So the club are happy for Willian to get himself fixed up with someone else then they'll agree a fee with the outfit concerned.

Liverpool believed they were that club until as late as Sunday with Spurs briefing that they had pulled out of the running.

The Reds went on to agree terms with the Brazilian who by then was even talking publicly about how excited he was to go to a club of Liverpool's great standing.

Spurs, however, have come back in to give the 25-year-old Brazilian a real conundrum.

And it pains me - as a Liverpool fan - to say it but Willian would be mad not to choose Tottenham.

They are the club with the better chance of breaking back into the Champions League. They are the club bringing in the better quality players.

Liverpool are a massive club, steeped with history and tradition, yes. But the harsh reality of the here and now is that, in World Cup year, Spurs can offer Willian European football.

They can match anything Liverpool offer in terms of wages. And for all the promise of the Reds' opening day win over Stoke (they really were terrific), Liverpool are still hostages to one man.

Even if Luis Suarez - who hit 30 goals last season - does stay, an injury to the Uruguayan would be catastrophic. Daniel Sturridge is talented but has yet to prove that he can maintain his form over a season.

Jordan Henderson doesn't score that often and Iago Aspas has it all to prove at a higher level.

Compare that with Spurs who also have their own concerns about Gareth Bale.

Let's not kid ourselves. The 24-year-old winger looks all set for Real Madrid. It is simply a case of Spurs getting the time to bring in replacements.

But if the north Londoners get that part right, then in the most open title race for years who is to say that Tottenham wouldn't have an outside shot at the title?

Right the way through the team there is already quality. Hugo Lloris is the French no.1 keeper. Jan Vertonghen would walk into any team in the top four.

Paulinho was one of the best players at the Conderations Cup, Nacer Chadli - who himself can play second striker - comes with Champions League experience.

If Tottenham lost Soldado they could turn to Jermain Defoe - a proven poacher. Whatever happens, they are going to bring in at least one more quality striker anyway. They simply have much better depth than Liverpool.

To help him settle in the Reds may have Willian's Brazilian countrymen Lucas and Coutinho in their ranks but Spurs have Paulinho and Sandro AND a manager who knows the player.

Villas Boas, who tried to sign Willian at Chelsea and in January for Spurs has remained in constant contact with him - despite his decision to move to Anzhi. The pair have a good relationship.

Willian would fit easily into either team formation. Assuming Luis Suarez stays at Anfield, Brendan Rodgers would have a rather tasty trio of Suarez on the left, Coutinho in the hole and Willian on the right - all interchanging.

In the Spurs team, with Roberto Soldado up front, Willian would either play just off the striker, with Nacer Chadli on the left and Aaron Lennon on the right.

Or Willian would move to the right and if, say Spurs brought in Christian Eriksen from Ajax or Adem Ljajjic from Fiorentina - both entering the final year of their contracts - to play in the hole.

Speaking earlier today, Villas Boas confirmed that the club are not finished with their transfer dealings (why would they be with so many good players available cut-price in the market?) and are looking at increasing their depth.

"We haven't finished." said the Spurs boss who also wants another defender and a left-back.

"We have a very good squad. We have done most of our activity in the market, but we are looking further."

Willian himself needs to look further. Liverpool are a magnificent club. An institution in this country. But the Champions League beckons if he chooses Tottenham.

Fucking shit mirror.

Willian should reject Liverpool transfer and sign for potential title contenders Tottenham - Darren Lewis - Mirror Online

A month ago he was marooned in Russia when he would rather be here in the Premier League.

Don't read too much into claims from Spurs boss Andre Villas Boas that a formal bid from the north Londoners hasn't gone in yet.

Anzhi simply want to get the big-earning player off their books. So the club are happy for Willian to get himself fixed up with someone else then they'll agree a fee with the outfit concerned.

Liverpool believed they were that club until as late as Sunday with Spurs briefing that they had pulled out of the running.

The Reds went on to agree terms with the Brazilian who by then was even talking publicly about how excited he was to go to a club of Liverpool's great standing.

Spurs' date=' however, have come back in to give the 25-year-old Brazilian a real conundrum.

And it pains me - as a Liverpool fan - to say it but Willian would be mad not to choose Tottenham.

They are the club with the better chance of breaking back into the Champions League. They are the club bringing in the better quality players.

Liverpool are a massive club, steeped with history and tradition, yes. But the harsh reality of the here and now is that, in World Cup year, Spurs can offer Willian European football.

They can match anything Liverpool offer in terms of wages. And for all the promise of the Reds' opening day win over Stoke (they really were terrific), Liverpool are still hostages to one man.

Even if Luis Suarez - who hit 30 goals last season - does stay, an injury to the Uruguayan would be catastrophic. Daniel Sturridge is talented but has yet to prove that he can maintain his form over a season.

Jordan Henderson doesn't score that often and Iago Aspas has it all to prove at a higher level.

Let's not kid ourselves. The 24-year-old winger looks all set for Real Madrid. It is simply a case of Spurs getting the time to bring in replacements.

But if the north Londoners get that part right, then in the most open title race for years who is to say that Tottenham wouldn't have an outside shot at the title?

Right the way through the team there is already quality. Hugo Lloris is the French no.1 keeper. Jan Vertonghen would walk into any team in the top four.

Paulinho was one of the best players at the Conderations Cup, Nacer Chadli - who himself can play second striker - comes with Champions League experience.

If Tottenham lost Soldado they could turn to Jermain Defoe - a proven poacher. Whatever happens, they are going to bring in at least one more quality striker anyway. They simply have much better depth than Liverpool.

To help him settle in the Reds may have Willian's Brazilian countrymen Lucas and Coutinho in their ranks but Spurs have Paulinho and Sandro AND a manager who knows the player.

Villas Boas, who tried to sign Willian at Chelsea and in January for Spurs has remained in constant contact with him - despite his decision to move to Anzhi. The pair have a good relationship.

Willian would fit easily into either team formation. Assuming Luis Suarez stays at Anfield, Brendan Rodgers would have a rather tasty trio of Suarez on the left, Coutinho in the hole and Willian on the right - all interchanging.

In the Spurs team, with Roberto Soldado up front, Willian would either play just off the striker, with Nacer Chadli on the left and Aaron Lennon on the right.

Or Willian would move to the right and if, say Spurs brought in Christian Eriksen from Ajax or Adem Ljajjic from Fiorentina - both entering the final year of their contracts - to play in the hole.

Speaking earlier today, Villas Boas confirmed that the club are not finished with their transfer dealings (why would they be with so many good players available cut-price in the market?) and are looking at increasing their depth.

"We haven't finished." said the Spurs boss who also wants another defender and a left-back.

"We have a very good squad. We have done most of our activity in the market, but we are looking further."

Willian himself needs to look further. Liverpool are a magnificent club. An institution in this country. But the Champions League beckons if he chooses Tottenham.[/quote']

What the cunting fuck? Comparing playing with Chadli, Soldado and Lennon to playing with Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho? And to choose them over us? Is this man fuck up?

>>>I agree all the evidence is we're almost trying not to compete and want some type of magic wand to get into top 4 without competing financial.

Who are you calling names?? this is what you just wrote. If you want come across as Mr. Doom/negative all the time' date=' I have no problem with him call you on your shit. I think its your points which are repetitive - NV appears to like our club - you appear to have a hate on. The board made their choice on Siggurdson and it appears to have been the right one - but hey bend that to your own agenda of course, - Sorry, whose the c...?[/quote']

Did they rule out siggudson on footballing grounds? I personally never rated him, fucking Dempsey either. That however is beside the point. We had selected him on footballing grounds. If spurs hand have come in we'd have bought him and he'd still be shit. So it doesn't make the board right on that occasion, rather whoever was choosing the players.

I'm sure he'd relish the chance to play with Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez, Gerrard and Lucas. There's not much difference in quality between us and spurs and without Bale i'd even say we were stronger.

When Bale goes and Spurs don't bring anyone decent in, I agree I'd say aswell we are slightly stronger than them. There's no possibility that Spurs will get Champions League football either at the moment I'd say we've got a slightly more of a chance than they have.

No they won't....and the rumours will gather strength I'd imagine if we fail to bring anyone else in before the transfer window shuts, citing our lack of ability/ambition to bring in any big names.

If that does happen, my accusing finger will be pointed in the direction of Mr Ian "We can compete with anyone" Ayre.

It was Werner that said that.

Wait a second. I've asked a question about something you posted. I should have jeered at the cock-eyed nonsense' date=' but I didn't. After all, you're a Liverpool fan with an opinion and you're entitled to share it just as much as anybody else. I thought I'd just ask the question in a civilised way. You know, just to try to keep things amicable. It was pretty contentious - you were talking about 'all the evidence' - so I thought it was right to query it. You don't like to be query about your outlook, do you?

You seem like bit of a bitch. I asked a very simple question, which you've avoided answering, and called me a cunt. Is there any need? It wasn't like I told you to shut up, you bell end. I asked what evidence. That's how conversations typically work. Somebody says something, then another person responds to that. If you didn't want a conversation, that's fine, just ignore me. If you did, just answer like a normal human being.

The board didn't decide not to sign Sigurdsson, the manager did. He's on record as saying it. They were conservative on Dempsey. They weren't conservative on Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Henderson, Allen, Borini, Sturridge, or Coutinho, though. If we're honest, maybe they should have been with some of those players.

That's not the point. I don't argue we should go to our limits, maybe even a bit more, to get the manager a player he wants. We shouldn't go stupid, like we did with Carroll or Downing, but we should do what it takes at the moment. I've made that clear in this thread already. There does have to be a line, though.

Now, back to this evidence about not wanting to compete.[/quote']

I can't be arsed reading the while thing, as despite how you've quoted me in snippets, I was not saying what you are attempting to mis-represent. Over the longer term I believe we are not trying to compete salary wise. The players we've missed out on down to salary alone would back that up. A player is worth his market worth and if we don't match that, we are not competing.

I was not in this instance saying we are not trying to compete. I will make that assessment when the saga with willian is over and the facts become more clear. I believe we should be aggressive in our salary proposal, despite my apathy about the owners, I would actually in this instance be very surprised if we don't put an attractive package there. Partly for the reason you mentioned earlier actually (that perhaps he's not 3rd choice and is someone previously thought as out of reach, see we can agree on some things) and partly because we're up against a rival for a key player and winning that particular dual is kind of like a 6 pointer.

I can see in a commercial sense, that Rodgers or the committee (not sure who does this), being able to put a good business case together to FSG to ensure the player gets on the best possible pay structure and price him out of spurs range. Whether we have the structure at the club to turn that around quickly enough I am not sure, but as we seem a step in front of spurs here I don't see why we can't resolve quickly enough to compete with spurs. As I also said in an earlier point, if we don't put the best package on the table, we won't get the player.

Did they rule out siggudson on footballing grounds? I personally never rated him' date=' fucking Dempsey either. That however is beside the point. We had selected him on footballing grounds. If spurs hand have come in we'd have bought him and he'd still be shit. So it doesn't make the board right on that occasion, rather whoever was choosing the players.[/quote']

Lots of typos in there, fucking iPhone. So the gist at the end I was trying to type was... If spurs hadn't have come in we'd have bought him and he'd still be shit. So it doesn't make the board right on that occasion, rather whoever was choosing the players was a poor judge.

Did they rule out siggudson on footballing grounds? I personally never rated him, fucking Dempsey either. That however is beside the point. We had selected him on footballing grounds. If spurs hand have come in we'd have bought him and he'd still be shit. So it doesn't make the board right on that occasion, rather whoever was choosing the players.

- of course they selected him on footballing grounds - but his footballing ability has a value associated with it, and they would not go past that - if you are suggesting that the desire for the player exceed the financial aspect of the deal, I would say, ok, to a point, but only a point. If they want Willian, they may indeed go somewhat past where they are comfortable, but I guarantee you that they won't go way past. Hell, there are people on this board criticizing where they were financially BEFORE Spurs came in. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Lets say spurs go stupid on this -how far would YOU go in order to land this one? and if FSG doesn't go that far, are they then classified as not aggressive enough? what is your number?

- of course they selected him on footballing grounds - but his footballing ability has a value associated with it' date=' and they would not go past that - if you are suggesting that the desire for the player exceed the financial aspect of the deal, I would say, ok, to a point, but only a point. If they want Willian, they may indeed go somewhat past where they are comfortable, but I guarantee you that they won't go way past. Hell, there are people on this board criticizing where they were financially BEFORE Spurs came in. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Lets say spurs go stupid on this -how far would YOU go in order to land this one? and if FSG doesn't go that far, are they then classified as not aggressive enough? what is your number?[/quote']

I don't get this argument of there's a value associated with an established player that can value him as being shit - when that value in the siggudson case was cut at £35k. If in the market today we thought an established attacking premier league player, coming into the prime of his career, is only worth £35k per week, we shouldn't be at the table trying to buy him as he won't improve us, we clearly don't think he's very good and £35k is where we pulled the plug. I don't mind us starting cheap if we think we can get a deal, but if we're cutting off at £35k, we clearly don't rate him. Now we can say after his limited impact only offering £35k was smart and we dodged a bullet. I personally would say it was a waste of the fee and £35k had we signed him. I only want us to sign established players who can improve us, I see no sense in signing players who won't. If spurs hadnt come in, we'd be stuck with a shit player. Obviously signing teenagers etc is different.

As for how much should we pay willian. I don't have a figure on it as I have more inches on my cock than number of games I've seen him play and I'm hung like a walnut whip. I've seen him half a dozen times at most. So what I'll do here is try to use the fact we now have a committee of professionals who's job it is to identify quality players and place a value on their fee. If that committee think he's worth £30m, then we must feel he's a pretty special player. I assume playing for anzi he is on a wedge today. So it would seem sensible to me we should be aiming to pay him towards 6 figures a week. I would probably try to incentivise it - either bonuses or pay rises if we get top 4 etc or both. but I think starting much below 6 figures and he'll go to spurs. The top of their structure is supposedly £87k per week, plus add ons (I got this off a reasonless source today), but they were willing to break it for bale.

If we really think this player is special, we should be looking to push the boat out and deprive a rival IMO.

Fucking shit mirror.

Spurs, however, have come back in to give the 25-year-old Brazilian a real conundrum.

Willian himself needs to look further. Liverpool are a magnificent club. An institution in this country. But the Champions League beckons if he chooses Tottenham.

is he that cunt who does the paper round up on skysports news in the morning sometimes? If so there is no way he is a Liverpool fan

I don't get this argument of there's a value associated with an established player that can value him as being shit - when that value in the siggudson case was cut at £35k. If in the market today we thought an established attacking premier league player, coming into the prime of his career, is only worth £35k per week, we shouldn't be at the table trying to buy him as he won't improve us, we clearly don't think he's very good and £35k is where we pulled the plug. I don't mind us starting cheap if we think we can get a deal, but if we're cutting off at £35k, we clearly don't rate him. Now we can say after his limited impact only offering £35k was smart and we dodged a bullet. I personally would say it was a waste of the fee and £35k had we signed him. I only want us to sign established players who can improve us, I see no sense in signing players who won't. If spurs hadnt come in, we'd be stuck with a shit player. Obviously signing teenagers etc is different.

As for how much should we pay willian. I don't have a figure on it as I have more inches on my cock than number of games I've seen him play and I'm hung like a walnut whip. I've seen him half a dozen times at most. So what I'll do here is try to use the fact we now have a committee of professionals who's job it is to identify quality players and place a value on their fee. If that committee think he's worth £30m, then we must feel he's a pretty special player. I assume playing for anzi he is on a wedge today. So it would seem sensible to me we should be aiming to pay him towards 6 figures a week. I would probably try to incentivise it - either bonuses or pay rises if we get top 4 etc or both. but I think starting much below 6 figures and he'll go to spurs. The top of their structure is supposedly £87k per week, plus add ons (I got this off a reasonless source today), but they were willing to break it for bale.

If we really think this player is special, we should be looking to push the boat out and deprive a rival IMO.

Well I agree that we need to compete, but again, there is going to be a limit where the answer becomes no. I will ask again, where do you draw the line? If Spurs want to pay 35MM pounds and $150K per week, are you ok with matching or exceeding that? If they get stupid, should we?

Fucking shit mirror.

Fuck off with that shit....you're no Red whoever you are...go and suck on Villas Boas's cock some more you fuckmump.