You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thoughts on corruption and violence in football

theacademic

Thanks to those of you that completed my recent gambling survey. Whilst I am analysing the results, I am also interested in what you make of the levels of corruption and violence associated with football in recent years? The survey is anonymous and can be found at: Football's Dark Side

If you would like to stay involved in future projects and hear about the results of previous ones then please leave your email address at the end of the survey. Thanks in advance for your time.

No disrespect meant but that survey uses very emotive non-neutral language which looks to influence the answers to me. Even the title of it is slanted to predispose the reader negatively from the off. Aren't the most important questions:

"Do you believe football to be any more corrupt now than in the past?"

"Do you believe football to be any more violent now than in the past?"

And go from there.

No disrespect meant but that survey uses very emotive non-neutral language which looks to influence the answers to me. Even the title of it is slanted to predispose the reader negatively from the off. Aren't the most important questions:

"Do you believe football to be any more corrupt now than in the past?"

"Do you believe football to be any more violent now than in the past?"

And go from there.

I agree, it is flawed with assumption.

Was football corrupt in the past? When? To what extent?

Was football violent in the past? When? To what extent?

• 2 weeks later...
thanks the chimp and xerxes for your comments. It's not been set up to influence but I take your suggestions. Thanks to those that have completed it: Football's Dark Side

There is fertile ground here.

On the violence issue are you talking on or off the pitch?

On the pitch there are legitimate questions to be asked about how behaviour is tolerated on the pitch which would not be tolerated off it. For example, Rooney’s abuse of referees, if said to someone in the street would get him arrested pretty much every matchday.

Off it there is no question that violence has reduced dramatically and our club has ben involved in two pivotal moments which have shaped crowd behaviour, Heysel and Hillsborough.

On corruption, as any business bloats with money, so more will be attracted to what they can take out rather than put in. The motivation of the owners of Dagenham & Redbridge is quite different to that of FSG for instance, and I imply no corruption.

Completed. I would like to know more on corruption in football but feel it is widely glossed over by people who have too much to lose. That is not just those who have a financial stake in it, but also us fans who have an emotional stake in it who feel it enriches our lives. In other words, If the arse fell out of football we would be bored shitless.

I read the book on Fifa corruption and Sepp Blatter a few years ago and realised the people at the very top of the game only get away with it due to the appathetic supporters who can't really be arsed reading about it aslong as their team wins. Well our team isn't winning much these days and there is a reason other teams are.

• 3 weeks later...