You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Old Internal Hard Drive

My old laptop packed in(think it was something to do with graphics card) and i have now removed the old hard drive and want to connect it to my new laptop.

I bought a SATA/IDE to usb kit off ebay but when i have hooked it up the laptop doesn't recognise that anything is connected.

Do i need an external power adapter?

The old hard drive is this one:

Western Digital WD1600BEVT-60ZCT1 160gb 2.5" Sata Laptop drive

Cheers

Make sure your laptop is on AC not battery. Try plugging into a different USB port. Some ports don't supply enough power. Also sometimes there's a BIOS setting to make the USB port put out enough power to charge things, that might help.

With mine I sometimes to need to turn the drive on and off while it is connected for windows 7 to recognize it. Other times the disk will turn up in the Disk management app, but won't be assigned a drive letter for various reasons. Try checking there.

Failing that try connecting to a different computer if you can.

A good quality kit will usually come with a power adapter BTW. Especially, if it's supporting IDE too.