You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC Old Photos

andybram

11016062_711640065601364_441664527163915

Liverpool manager Bill Shankly watches a game of street football from a flat above Eldon Groove,1965.

Great photo that, and the sad thing is, you couldn't easily take a photo like that nowadays - too many morons and hurdles in the way of you trying to get candid shots of kids. World's gone mad.

It's also another clue as to why we're crap at football these days. Kids don't kick a ball in the street for hours on end any more. 

11016062_711640065601364_441664527163915

Liverpool manager Bill Shankly watches a game of street football from a flat above Eldon Groove,1965.

Just before my time that, though I used to play football on there regularly a few years later.  The broken glass that was often on there was a particular delight. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a photo, but I came across this on youtube and thought it was fascinating in lots of ways:

1972 - team in transition

Playing Dynamo Berlin, who had some very decent players 

Toshack with no Keegan

The pitch a quagmire

Those old white seats in the Kemlyn Road

half empty stands but packed ends (as it was often in early cup games in those days)

Phil Thompson playing in midfield (and nutmegging an opponent)

Alec Lindsay playing with a hangover

Cormack looking elegant as always

Callaghan a bundle of energy as always

rare glimpse of Jack Whitham, who if I remember used to only score in hat tricks.  

No-one celebrating Heighway's goal

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tommy Smith doing a publicity shot for Barratt Homes in Runcorn, with members of the cast of a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream which had been staged at Norton Priory.

563413_10151010363094162_319957639_n.jpg

(The skinny lad on the right is my brother.  Thirty-odd years later, he still dresses like that.)

• Upvote 1

Tommy Smith doing a publicity shot for Barratt Homes in Runcorn, with members of the cast of a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream which had been staged at Norton Priory.

563413_10151010363094162_319957639_n.jpg

(The skinny lad on the right is my brother.  Thirty-odd years later, he still dresses like that.)

Phil Babb far left ?

• Upvote 1