You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hendo going head to head with Allen (ESPN article)

dave u

allen_henderson460.jpg

The names of Steven Gerrard and Lucas Leiva are etched in stone when it comes to Liverpool's midfield, but a fascinating battle is now raging to claim the final vacancy in the Reds' three man engine room.

Whilst the sublime Philippe Coutinho is the obvious selection any time Brendan Rodgers goes with a more adventurous line up, things look a lot less clear cut any time the Reds' boss opts for his favoured 4-3-3 system as he faces a tough choice between in form pair Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson.

Henderson had looked to be in pole position after the way he ended last season, but Allen's return to fitness has seen him restored to the side in pre-season and he's been in fine form. So too, however, has Henderson, and with both of them finding the back of the net in Steven Gerrard's testimonial at the weekend the competition between the pair is really hotting up.

Read the full article here.

If it's a battle between Henderson and Allen for a guaranteed first team place we are in trouble. Neither are good enough.

Both Allen and Henderson will imo prove better players than tom cleavely, arron ramsey, scott parker and garath barry, who all played midfield in sides that finished above liverpool last season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think Allen has been back to the brilliant levels he showed at the beginning of last season. I love Henderson's passion and drive. I'm glad we have both. We might even finally benefit from having competition and strength in depth.

It's a good problem - they're both decent and will probably improve. I wonder how they would work together as I can't see Stevie playing every minute this season.

They might be better if they complemented each other rather that competed against each other.

I think Allen has been back to the brilliant levels he showed at the beginning of last season. I love Henderson's passion and drive. I'm glad we have both. We might even finally benefit from having competition and strength in depth.

They can both drive each other on. I think Henderson is a much improved player and Allen has to be more consistent.

*sits back and waits for LFD*

I put this on the MF:

At times it might be a choice between Allen or Henderson, other times I hope neither start, just depends on the situation.

If we are playing a weaker side at home and we are expected to dominate possession, I would rather see Lucas, Gerrard and Coutinho - assuming all of those players are fit and in form. For me the main purpose of both Allen and Henderson (and the main reason why they are similar) is they both give the side energy, ultimately enable us to control games more and help Lucas / Gerrard defensively. But in those weaker games at home, we are likely to have 60+% possession with or without Henderson or Allen, so I'd rather see Coutinho (or Alberto) central and have an extra attacking player.

In the tougher games or away games I'd always have Allen or Henderson in the side. There are no easy away games in this league and I feel these two players are essential to ensure we do control these games and we are not out numbered or even over powered.

I like Allen, always have done. I don't think we should have bought him, merely because I think we had different priorities last summer, but he is a good player. My issue with him last season was that we played him in the defensive midfield position and I don't agree with Dave that he played that role well last season. But with Lucas fit, he can play higher up the field and do what he does best which is pressing, winning the ball higher up the field and using his energy - all things Henderson is also very good at.

In big games and away games, I'd certainly have one of these two in the side. My personal favourite is Henderson, as I think he is a better player. But Allen is also a good player and given the role both will be asked to do, being the engine in midfield and leading our pressing game - I can see both playing roles in the season. At times it will be like in Gerrard's game with Allen starting, when he tires then Henderson can come on and ensure we can keep up that high intensity. Other times it might be the other way round. But it is good we have both, as playing the role both are asked to do is incredibly hard for 90 minutes and the freshness both can bring off the bench will be important for the team. As we saw on the weekend, Henderson coming on and making an instant impact off the bench. Allen might start more games due to this and Henderson finishes them as I (and maybe Rodgers) think Henderson is more likely to make an impact in an attacking-sense off the bench than Allen.

But both are good players, very good in Henderson's case and I can see them being important players- as they give the side and midfield balance.

I like both of them. They are getting better all the time. Whether they will be good enough in the long term I'm not sure. They could turn out to be Carrick type players who will be very good at Premiership level but found out a bit if and when we reach the CL.

I like both of them. They are getting better all the time. Whether they will be good enough in the long term I'm not sure. They could turn out to be Carrick type players who will be very good at Premiership level but found out a bit if and when we reach the CL.

Not sure Carrick was shown up. No shame in being outplayed by Xavi and Iniesta. Well underrated is Carrick.

Henderson makes Gerrard play better, he has an unreal engine which allows him to mop up when Gerrard puts his hands on his hips and walks back lazily after giving away the ball easily.

He's a bigger goal threat as well, I still don't understand the Allen signing when we had Hendo.

Is there even a debate?

Henderson is miles better player. His physical presence, his work-rate, stamina, his goals, his technique...

Henderson will be the player of the season this year for us, if he gets a fair chance. He will continue to improve alongside Steven Gerrard.

I hope Allen improves as well.

As for Rodgers, if he pickes Allen ahead of Henderson he only proves what a pathetic Yesman and a mediocre manager his is. Henderson had a great season he's a much better player.

Is there even a debate?

As for Rodgers, if he pickes Allen ahead of Henderson he only proves what a pathetic Yesman and a mediocre manager his is. Henderson had a great season he's a much better player.

First jsim got banned, you cant be that far behind him.

There's just so much wrong with that post.

Both Allen and Henderson have a lot to prove to claim Liverpool's midfield as far as I'm concerned. Henderson is technically poor as Allen is physically weak. But if Allen maintains his current form, he may've won me over by season's end. As for Henderson, I wouldn't really mind selling him in this window if we can get a better replacement.

First jsim got banned, you cant be that far behind him.

There's just so much wrong with that post.

You should be banned from pretending to be a Mod or an Admin.

You've done it many times with many posters. It probably makes you feel less miserable. In the summer topic you've called me a chicken and challenged me for a bet about Suarez with the prize of me getting short-term banned, although you are not a Mod or an Admin. I responded to it and I have yet to hear back from you. Now get lost and stop paying attention to my posts. Feel free to add me to your ignore list.

You should be banned from pretending to be a Mod or an Admin.

You've done it many times with many posters. It probably makes you feel less miserable. In the summer topic you've called me a chicken and challenged me for a bet about Suarez with the prize of me getting short-term banned' date=' although you are not a Mod or an Admin. I responded to it and I have yet to hear back from you. Now get lost and stop paying attention to my posts. Feel free to add me to your ignore list.[/quote']

I've asked you to answer questions and you've not responded.

Both Allen and Henderson have a lot to prove to claim Liverpool's midfield as far as I'm concerned. Henderson is technically poor as Allen is physically weak. But if Allen maintains his current form, he may've won me over by season's end. As for Henderson, I wouldn't really mind selling him in this window if we can get a better replacement.

No. No! NO!!!!!