You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tablets

I am considering getting a Google Nexus 7 (2013 edition, out any week now) but I need to get some more information before I make my mind up.

Firstly, do I need to buy the newer model? Is it worth the extra £50 or so that I will end up paying? Does it do anything that the other one doesn't?

Secondly, how will it do for streaming? I have been trying to get a Sky Go account but not been able to find anyone with a spare one just yet. But basically how good would it be for streaming conferences and matches and so on?

I get tired of it always slowing down on the laptop and my desktop is on its last legs. Are there apps or does it work just fine in the browser?

I am pretty clueless on tablets. I have a Galaxy Note 2 which is quite big but I would prefer to use a tablet for browsing and particularly watching streams. I also think it is a good time to get one as the next generation of gaming is going to incorporate them quite a bit I expect.

Nexus 10.

n10-product-hero.png

Many hipsters will recommend apple's latest overpriced, sweatshop made hipster faggery-daggery-doo which does nothing that no other product can but, it has a little metal logo on it which increases the price by $100+.

The worst part about owning an Apple product is telling your partner, friends and family that you are gay.

Get a Nexus 10 is my recommendation. They are ace.

By the way, I am little bit biased because I have a brain which evaluates things and decides what goods are worth the money. Apple products are shit and overpriced.

HTH!

Cheers for the advice.

Was thinking about a 10. Is it worth the extra £100?

If it's for watching footy then I'd say yea. As mentioned above 7inch isn't much bigger than your average smartphone. If your regularly will be at home and have a DNLA compatible tv you could play the footie On the TV from your tablet (I think. Might not work with streaming in a browser, I'll have to check)

Guest San Don

I've got an Acer Iconia 510A. Its a good 10" :drool: and a good tablet. If I was buying again, I'd go Nexus 10. One because google push droid updates quicker to their own products which is good if you dont want or know how to root it and apply custom ROM's etc.

Wife has v1 of the N7. Its a good little tablet. Bit too small in my opinion but the right size for women's hands. I dont think its worth spending the extra 50 quid to get the latest version and I'd try and negotiate more off the v1 rather than pay more for the v2.

Each to their own though.

That's the one I've been looking at. Is the interface easy to use? Tried a kindle fire HD, that was a nightmare compared to an iPad.

Same but am also considering a Chromebook. And if I go for either will I end up wishing I'd gone for an ipad like I did with my phone, although I've come to love the bigger screen on my Samsung

I'm getting a new one in the next couple of days. I'm about 80% convinced to get a 32gb iPad rather than a samsung note. Don't fancy a nexus.

I'm only using it to watch Netflix, bit of web browsing and I'll put some music, audiobooks and HD films/telly on it. Only thing is I won't be able to put XBMC on it, but the way that buffers all the time on my Mac mini I'm not so sure I could be arsed with it anyway.

Sorry for considering getting an iPad PP. Forgive me, bro.

Still got my nexus 10 and I am not very materialistic but I love it. Probably the best tech money I spent in the last few years. Took it to spain the other week, it is like having a laptop except it is only wee.

I use it everyday, my laptop is essentially just a dock for external hard-drives on my home NAS.

God damn, fucking love the Nexus 10.

I'm getting a new one in the next couple of days. I'm about 80% convinced to get a 32gb iPad rather than a samsung note. Don't fancy a nexus.

I'm only using it to watch Netflix, bit of web browsing and I'll put some music, audiobooks and HD films/telly on it. Only thing is I won't be able to put XBMC on it, but the way that buffers all the time on my Mac mini I'm not so sure I could be arsed with it anyway.

Sorry for considering getting an iPad PP. Forgive me, bro.

So, what's led you to this point?

So' date=' what's led you to this point?[/quote']

I've got a iPhone and a mac so it'd make sense to keep with apple. For what I'd use it for it would suit me fine.

I've seen a Galaxy Tab 10.1 64gb refurbished for £269.99 with a 12 month warranty though so I'm tempted by that. It will be like new and is probably unused, just an unwanted present.

Same but am also considering a Chromebook. And if I go for either will I end up wishing I'd gone for an ipad like I did with my phone, although I've come to love the bigger screen on my Samsung

Is anyone able to do a 'compare and contrast' for me?