You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's a twat being out of the CL and trying to strike some sort of sensible deal. We need to remember we're trying to sign players already at teams in the CL and enticing them to a club without it. It's a bitch.

Somebody needs to remind these targets that it's no even 18 months yet since we won the League Cup. A trophy not even played for in most countries around the world.

That are being far more important.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Somebody needs to remind these targets that it's no even 18 months yet since we won the League Cup. A trophy not even played for in most countries around the world.

That are being far more important.

Don't forget almost coming back in the FA Cup final. That's got to be a draw for players. Although, having gone one better, I suspect we'll have to fend off competition from Wigan.

Wasn't it reported he is on shit wages (£20 grand) and we were prepared to triple them? Seems a good enough reason to leave a CL team, Spurs don't seem to have any problem getting Soldado despite them winning less, being less prestigious, paying less wages and being out the CL.

It's funny how people accuse Arsenal of appeasing their fans by making daft bids for Suarez and that they should get serious but when we do it the deals seem to be 'difficult' to complete.

All the while the clubs say they've received no bid from us, some might believe the press are getting briefed by ourselves.

We managed to conclude all our squad filler deals quite swiftly and seem to be shipping people out quite swiftly but when it comes to paying big money that will give us a positive net spend we drag our heels.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think we should wait before jumping to conspiracy theories. If we don't spend before the window closes, then will be the to to suggest we are spend shy.

I think we should wait before jumping to conspiracy theories. If we don't spend before the window closes, then will be the to to suggest we are spend shy.

You've heard the saying 'once bitten twice shy' ? Well that's me from last summer when people said the same thing, what followed was a fucking catastrophe that could and should have been avoided and condemned our season to failure before it started.

Forgive me for having zero faith in our owners.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You've heard the saying 'once bitten twice shy' ? Well that's me from last summer when people said the same thing, what followed was a fucking catastrophe that could and should have been avoided and condemned our season to failure before it started.

Forgive me for having zero faith in our owners.

Not buying Dempsey condemned our season to failure? As for faith, I don't have it either. I do see that they've spent £200m on incoming transfers, though. That means I think there's a good chance they might well make at least some money available to the manager. I also know that getting into the CL is going to be worth a lot of money to the owners, therefore they'll want to take that opportunity.

I also know that getting into the CL is going to be worth a lot of money to the owners, therefore they'll want to take that opportunity.

Massive leap of faith there. If they really wanted to to be in the CL they'd have dipped into their own pockets and we'd have spent more already. If they had real ambition we wouldn't be waiting around for Suarez to fuck off before sorting ourselves out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Massive leap of faith there. If they really wanted to to be in the CL they'd have dipped into their own pockets and we'd have spent more already. If they had real ambition we wouldn't be waiting around for Suarez to fuck off before sorting ourselves out.

Out of interest, where do people think the money is coming from when we are running at a loss? We lost £40m last year alone.

As someone said on the MF the pattern that seems to be developing is every big signing we're strongly linked with, their clubs deny any bid or any contact.

But I doubt that has any bearing. If FSG really wanted to fuck us about and not spend they'd simply submit lowball offers they know won't get accepted and then say

"Well we tried!"

Or at least thats how I'd imagine it'd logically play out.

But at this point I have no idea. Part of me is fairly nervous we're about to go into the season basically not much better off then we were back in May.

But then there is a few weeks left in the window yet. Plenty can happen.

I think the frustration is just in knowing we've had so many bad windows for so long(last January aside). If we keep fucking things up(no matter the reasons why) we're simply never going to claw our way back.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Okay, they're deadly serious about getting into the top 4 and it's all they care about.

Mate, we've spent some serious money trying to get back into the top four. Yes, they could spend more. When they spend that, they could still spend more. Then, when they've spent more for a second time they could spend more. And then...

We can only expect so much money to be spent. There's no point in coming to conclusions about things that haven't happened yet. If we bring in the couple of players the manager and the Captain have spoken about, we could be looking very good. If we don't, then's the time to get the piss and ask why.

Babb'sburstwotsit had this right a few weeks ago when explaining the owners putting their own money in. I will try and find the post. He was bang on

You mean this one mate?

If you follow the argument of speculate to accumulate' date=' the question, as ever, is where is the money to come from?

The owners aren't philanthropists, they want a return in the long run, and if we spent big and then failed to make the top four and tap into the CL revenue stream, then all we're left with is debt that needs to be repaid. From adding money into the kitty, it isn't unreasonable to think FSG might consider taking it at that point.[/quote']

So most people don't think we should go for steady progress rather than a sudden burst of mad big spending? I'd rather we took a position where we don't saddle the club with a shit load of debt. You can be sure that the top 4 teams at the moment won't always be the top 4, something will snap. The way money is in the game it is a fucking disgrace and we've already spent an absolute kings ransom to end up where we are and there's no guarantee that buying really big will improve our situation.

18 months ago we were very close to collapse, you'd think we'd welcome a more cautious approach to spending. I know many think that we'll get too far behind to catch up but long term, situations always change and we should quit worrying about what other teams do; follow our plan, get behind our club and concentrate on playing good winning football. All easier said than done of course but that's the same with everything we say on here.

Mate, we've spent some serious money trying to get back into the top four.

I vehemently disagree with this. Without the money from Torres et al it's not looking great. And now we're in the same position with Suarez.

They wouldn't even put up an extra couple of mil for Clint Dempsey, instead using him to put Rodgers in his place.

So most people don't think we should go for steady progress rather than a sudden burst of mad big spending? I'd rather we took a position where we don't saddle the club with a shit load of debt. You can be sure that the top 4 teams at the moment won't always be the top 4, something will snap. The way money is in the game it is a fucking disgrace and we've already spent an absolute kings ransom to end up where we are and there's no guarantee that buying really big will improve our situation.

18 months ago we were very close to collapse, you'd think we'd welcome a more cautious approach to spending. I know many think that we'll get too far behind to catch up but long term, situations always change and we should quit worrying about what other teams do; follow our plan, get behind our club and concentrate on playing good winning football. All easier said than done of course but that's the same with everything we say on here.

Not saying we should saddle ourselves with debt Ridsdale style, but i'm not having it that the owners have their sights set on the top 4 and if they do they're trying to chance it on the cheap.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I vehemently disagree with this.

They've spent the best part of £200m, £90m net, in the three years they've been here. It's your right to disagree with me saying that's a lot of money, but considering we've been out of the CL since before they got here, I'd say that level is remarkable. I'd be surprised if any club outside the CL or multi-billionaire owners have spent more. I'm almost certain we're the highest spending non-CL club other than multi-billionaire play things. Actually, I doubt there are many more than a handful of CL clubs who have spent more than us over that time. I personally think that's quite a lot.

They wouldn't even put up an extra couple of mil for Clint Dempsey, instead using him to put Rodgers in his place.

They got caught tapping him up, had to apologise and then naturally Fulham bumped the price up.

Just another little clusterfuck but it's better to gloss over these things and join the cult.

*tweets John Henry

I think everyone reasonable agrees with that to be honest.

But like I've said before its hard not to get fucked off and pretty much fed up when we've been slipping so long its getting harder and harder to see how we'll ever claw our way back.

Last year I think we seen some real progress in the second half of the season, some may disagree on that but IMO Rodger's has us on the right track. But we need just a little bit more of a push in terms of the resources he has at his disposal. I'm not talking a huge amount but just a bit more.

I think failing to back him a wee bit more could be catastrophic again in terms of our league position come May. And thats just very frustrating.

But alas, plenty of time to go before end of the window.