You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aspas' date=' Borini and Sterling will all be around the squad, too. Loads of attacking players.[/quote']

I know we've not seen enough of borini, but I always view him a little like downing. If he starts you know he can do a workmanlike and unspectacular job, but if you're looking for a bit of magic off the bench, look elsewhere!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Sport Spanish writer said this:

Andy West ‏@andywest01 4h

Diego Costa is a decent player, but he wouldn't get in Atletico's strongest starting eleven (Baptistao & Villa). €25m is outrageous money.

I certainly don't know enough about Costa to make a serious judgement and his record (other than last season) suggests its a big price but how can he be so certain that this Baptistao fella who it seems scored 7 goals for Rayo Vallecano last season (and 4 for the B team the year before) is better than someone who got 20 in 44 for them last season>

I certainly don't know enough about Costa to make a serious judgement and his record (other than last season) suggests its a big price but how can he be so certain that this Baptistao fella who it seems scored 7 goals for Rayo Vallecano last season (and 4 for the B team the year before) is better than someone who got 20 in 44 for them last season>

I don't know. He could be full of shit but he's seen more of Costa than I have. My first thought was the price was over the top from what I've seen of Costa. Hopefully he's class if we get him. I haven't see enough to say he's gonna be a success or not.

I know we've not seen enough of borini, but I always view him a little like downing. If he starts you know he can do a workmanlike and unspectacular job, but if you're looking for a bit of magic off the bench, look elsewhere!

I read that as 'womanlike' the first time round - would have been more accurate.

But I agree with your general point - hopefully Aspas and the like can be good impact subs this year.

That's a good problem to have. All too often last year when we needed something in a game, the bench just made you feel it would make the team worse.

Not only last year Barry, when was the last time we had a decent bench. You just look and think, who on that bench would change the game and you just shake your head, because there is no one.

Hopefully that will change this year. We have players coming through with a lot of pace - something we have been lacking as well - them coming on when the opposition legs are going, is good to think about.

Oh and Diego I am in.

Not only last year Barry' date=' when was the last time we had a decent bench. You just look and think, who on that bench would change the game and you just shake your head, because there is no one.

Hopefully that will change this year. We have players coming through with a lot of pace - something we have been lacking as well - them coming on when the opposition legs are going, is good to think about.

Oh and Diego I am in.[/quote']

It's certainly helping sterling and ibe adding to the numbers. It will be good to have options. I'm not arsed if borini or downing go as I don't see them as options from the bench. Although if costa is as mad as he appears, we might have quite some suspensions to cover!

Does seem a heck of a lot of money for only 10 league goals last season but I think with Spanish release clauses the figure eventually paid could be lower. We shall see.

He only played 24 games, so not a bad return, especially when you think falcao was the main man. If and it is a big if, we keep Suarez, it shows he can make a large contribution to a team where somebody else is the focal point of the attack and main scorer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's only played twice for brazil' date=' so will need a eu passport or we will need to appeal.[/quote']

He has a Spanish passport, Bazzle.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah. I'm thinking I was a but harsh on the fee last night. 22m seems a lot, but he's a 24 year old Brazilian international who scored 20 goals from the left of Falcao in 34 starts. I mean, how many of those do you get for your money the days.

Yeah. I'm thinking I was a but harsh on the fee last night. 22m seems a lot' date=' but he's a 24 year old Brazilian international who scored 20 goals from the left of Falcao in 34 starts. I mean, how many of those do you get for your money the days.[/quote']

Most people seem to think he's over priced. I can't say I've remembered him, in fact in my mind he was the same build and size as Suarez, when he's clearly nothing like that so I must be gettin him mixed up with someone else!

This is a world though where Andy Carroll goes for £15m or £17m or whatever the deal was and dwight gayle is £8m. So if he's better than Carroll we're probably getting value. This has been one of my points when people keep saying there's coutinho's to be found everywhere, I don't think there's too many of them and its real hard to buy any half decent attacking player for under £12-15m ( except when they're on loon wages like villa and tevez).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I actually don't mind paying a bit extra for good players to insure we get them. I'm just thinking that £22m is only a little bit under what Spurs paid for Soldado. He seems a bit like a plan b. Then, Coutinho was a plan b.