You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watches

Elmyn Noos

I bought a jarg Rolex Daytona a few years back in Thailand for £20 and it's still going strong. The thing that makes me laugh is that so many young lads have looked at it and oohing and aaring said how they're saving up for one themselves.

Just buy a fake one for god's sake.

I'm rocking a fake Diesel one which gets compliments all the time.  I always refuse to let people hold it though.  It's weight gives it away 

• 1 month later...

Swiss quartz, Japanese quartz, Chinese quartz.... it does not matter.

In fact japense quartz are probably the best... seiko kinetic etc.

However re automatic arguement particularly watches from older swiss brands... its like football.

You can be a plastic flag waving new to success chelsea fan (quartz) or an appreciator of heritage, of mans achievement against the odds and of quality ..liverpool(automatic)

They are both top football clubs, at the moment I would have more instant gratification as a chelsea fan, but my life experience is richer as a kopite.

Get an automatic. Get a cheap automatic diver seiko. Its all the watch you want. I have cheap autos, I have expensive quartz, even more expensive autos. I get pleasure from owning them.

Buy your first auto, do some research. Be warned watches can be addictive. But automatics are not necessarily better, but they are cooler. And fuck it thats what matters

Think I just accidentally negged this.  Been eyeing up a few watches so thought I'd check here again and slipped while an Italian sports team did a thing on the telly. Page 4 if anyone can fix?

• Downvote 1

Thanks.

Anyway, judging from online browsing alone I'm leaning Skagen as well. 

Quite like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skagen-233XXLSLB-Mens-Watch/dp/B0012OQZJS/ref=pd_sim_241_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XBWJZFQ7QNGCRHEBF32N 

Trust myself to remember which day it is, but appreciate the extra help with the 24 hour clock... just going to have to be careful when meeting people at 6pm. Could get confusing.

Anyone know what shops tend to stock Skagen?  Would prefer to go and take a look at a few in person before going for it. 

• 1 year later...

Bought a blag Armani one in Majorca in the summer. Looks smart with denim shorts, a dark t-shirt, flip flops and sunglasses. Not so much with jeans and trainers on. Bit clunky underneath my coat as well. 

It’s currently gathering dust on top of the microwave until the weather turns nice and I can get my legs out again. 

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to getting my TAG serviced for my birthday. Well, i say i did but it was really the Mrs who sorted it our at my request. Took it to Phoenix Watches in town, who i've been to before and they are usually boss.

It needed a whole new face, the original had slipped but the hands were still in the correct position, which was disconcerting. It also needed a new battery and the clasp looking at as it was hanging a bit loose. Also it had never had a full service in the 20 years i'd owned it. 

Anyway, got it back and it looked as good as new, made up to have the heavy weight of it on my wrist again.  Within a week the one of the spring bars on the strap has popped. So we go back to Phoenix and the guy fixes it for me for free within the hour, explaining that the watch itself is made of quality components but the straps can tend to be ropey. 

The Mrs flatly refused to show me the original receipt though, and given i was quoted £175 for a service alone about ten years ago, i dread to think what it cost to get fixed.  You do wonder what the point is, at times. Should have just got a Casio...   

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Finally got around to getting my TAG serviced for my birthday. Well, i say i did but it was really the Mrs who sorted it our at my request. Took it to Phoenix Watches in town, who i've been to before and they are usually boss.

It needed a whole new face, the original had slipped but the hands were still in the correct position, which was disconcerting. It also needed a new battery and the clasp looking at as it was hanging a bit loose. Also it had never had a full service in the 20 years i'd owned it. 

Anyway, got it back and it looked as good as new, made up to have the heavy weight of it on my wrist again.  Within a week the one of the spring bars on the strap has popped. So we go back to Phoenix and the guy fixes it for me for free within the hour, explaining that the watch itself is made of quality components but the straps can tend to be ropey. 

The Mrs flatly refused to show me the original receipt though, and given i was quoted £175 for a service alone about ten years ago, i dread to think what it cost to get fixed.  You do wonder what the point is, at times. Should have just got a Casio...   

A nice watch is more than a watch though, especially if you've had them for ages and they've been around the block with you. 

Also, quality lasts. 

It's funny  though how un-arsed people are about watches, when you are you think everyone else is too. I always notice people's watches myself, not to make judgments (can't think of anything sadder than judging people on the value of their watch) but just because I like them. 

Been toying with getting a dive watch lately but they look a bit mental with normal clobber. 

The problem i have now is i literally forget to look at my watch again to, you know, find out what the time is. 

I was watching my lad playing footy last Saturday and i kept getting my phone out to see how long was left in the game. I even kept saying to myself, look at your watch, look at your watch, but it didn't help. Force of habit after two years of not wearing a watch. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

The problem i have now is i literally forget to look at my watch again to, you know, find out what the time is. 

I was watching my lad playing footy last Saturday and i kept getting my phone out to see how long was left in the game. I even kept saying to myself, look at your watch, look at your watch, but it didn't help. Force of habit after two years of not wearing a watch. 

Caveman alert but sporting a really nice watch just makes you feel like a bit more of a man. Sleek, sophisticated, rugged, bon viveur.

• Upvote 1