You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watches

Elmyn Noos

• 2 months later...

Anybody had any experience of Swiss Watches Direct?

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/

I'm looking to go a bit mad and splash out on an Omega Seamaster. These guys are quoting around 20% less than the high-street dealers - are they legit?

Seems OK but not had any dealings myself.

Word of warning if you're after an Automatic movement (as opposed to a quartz battery-powered piece): Autos are lovely, but the on-costs are staggering. My boss's Breitling is losing 15 minutes a day so needs it's 5-yearly service: The service involves replacing the dials and comes in at £800 and a 21 day turn around. 

Seems OK but not had any dealings myself.

Word of warning if you're after an Automatic movement (as opposed to a quartz battery-powered piece): Autos are lovely, but the on-costs are staggering. My boss's Breitling is losing 15 minutes a day so needs it's 5-yearly service: The service involves replacing the dials and comes in at £800 and a 21 day turn around. 

Indeed, I've looked into that. Apparently the Omega service cost is around £300 for the newer models - I'm prepared to accept that every five years or so.

I must have rocks in my head.

£300 sounds reasonable considering the work needed. Assure yourself of the seller's veracity and just do it mate. Putting on a good watch every morning is a good start to any day. 

Edit: I've read good things about  Chronomaster.  Some fella working from his home in Bolton or somewhere. He was really helpful when I was looking, 

• Upvote 1

£300 sounds reasonable considering the work needed. Assure yourself of the seller's veracity and just do it mate. Putting on a good watch every morning is a good start to any day. 

Edit: I've read good things about  Chronomaster.  Some fella working from his home in Bolton or somewhere. He was really helpful when I was looking, 

Cheers mate. I'll have a look at that site.

• 6 months later...

Gonna bump this lads 'cause I'm looking to treat myself this week.

Haven't a clue of what I want thought, so open to all suggestions.

I'm a bit gadgety, so wouldn't mind some sort of smart watch. But I do like a "good" watch. Have a Seiko Kinetic I got for my 30th many moons ago, and she still never misses a beat.

Maybe if there was something kinda smarty tied in with a classic chrono or something?

Fire away chaps.

What is your budget?

A few hundred quid. Might stretch to £500.

Do go through some of the links on this thread, there are some really good ones

Just started doing that. A lot of celeryBADboy shouting about Festina. I actually have a titanium Festina that I got for my 25th, but he's after turning me of them now!

I'm not one for celebrity endorsements, but this Seiko Premier Kinetic Djokovic one has tickled my fancy.

It'll be my first leather-strapped one, and I think the green face is a nice contrast.

so-631-premier-kinetic-perpetual-novak-d

I'm not one for celebrity endorsements, but this Seiko Premier Kinetic Djokovic one has tickled my fancy.

It'll be my first leather-strapped one, and I think the green face is a nice contrast.

so-631-premier-kinetic-perpetual-novak-d

Too much going on there, in my opinion.

I much prefer leather straps, though.

Have a look at Tissot.

Will do.

Too much going on there, in my opinion.

I much prefer leather straps, though.

I'm a bit of a nerd and like nicky nacky stuff. Not sure if I could do 3 hands and a face. Guess I'd have to see it.

£500 will get you a decent watch, alright. You might want to consider either an Automatic (self-winding) or quartz (battery). Automatics have lovely movements, BUT, they are hellishly expensive to service, (between £350-800) and they need it done every 3-5 years. You'll pay around £60 to replace the battery in a quartz watch and have it re-sealed ifi t's water-resistant (which it should be for 500 nicker. 

A shade over £500 gets you a Longines Hydroconquest quartz, which is a fabulous watch.

DSC_2138.jpg