You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Underrated Albums

Bjornebye

The Bandits album, And They Walked Away, is more unheard of than under-rated in my experience but it's still fucking boss. They were about at the same time as a few other scouse bands, The Zutons, The Stands etc but were my favourite by far. The record was released in 2003 and they split up shortly after. Massive shame.

I'll post some tunes when I'm not on my phone.

[YOUTUBE]vjZcb7hLCZQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-HAuzSQv38E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ydIm9y6rz80[/YOUTUBE]

The Space album Spiders is a great shout however I went watching them 2 years ago in Liverpool and they were awful live. They speeded ever up and it sounded rubbish.

Also for the seahorses here is Love is the Law from the album

[YOUTUBE]LFeh_LNNZNU[/YOUTUBE]

Simple Things - Zero 7

Maverick Strike - Finlay Quaye

Loved both of these with a passion. That Finlay Quaye is one the best sunny day summer albums ever. If you liked Zero 7 you must have been into Morcheeba? Loved them as well.

From around the same time for me, Soundphiles by Kinobe and Moon Safari by Air were great albums. Airs first one, Premiere Syptomes was good as well.

Can't post links right now as I'm at work. Will put some up at home later.

Loved both of these with a passion. That Finlay Quaye is one the best sunny day summer albums ever. If you liked Zero 7 you must have been into Morcheeba? Loved them as well.

From around the same time for me, Soundphiles by Kinobe and Moon Safari by Air were great albums. Airs first one, Premiere Syptomes was good as well.

Can't post links right now as I'm at work. Will put some up at home later.

This was around then as well, from 'Nothing Changes Under The Sun'. Brilliant album for a summer's day.

[YouTube]tZZ3BRMV4FE[/YouTube]

The Verve - A Northern Soul

A_Northern_Soul.jpg

Urban Hymns was huge and the soundtrack to 97, but I've always thought A Northern Soul was their masterpiece.

I'd also say that Richard Ashcroft's solo albums were vastly under rated, they never seemed to get any praise from the music press, but I've always thought Alone With Everybody, Human Conditions and Keys To The World were cracking albums.

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish

220px-Blur_-_Modern_Life_is_Rubbish.jpg

Just amazing, song writing at it's best with every tune on it a classic, far superior to Parklife and my favourite album by them.

Beck - Sea Change

220px-Beckseachange.jpg

I love Beck and have all his albums but this is my favourite. Very rarely gets any praise but a brilliant album written after the break-up of Beck and his girlfriend of nine years, hence the melancholy, emotion and introspection. If you like Beck but don't own this, seek it out.

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

220px-RATMEvilEmpire.jpg

The first eponymous album and The Battle Of Los Angeles seem to be the albums everyone owns and go on about, but I always loved Evil Empire. "So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun, these people ain't seen a brown skinned man since their grandparents bought one". Fucking brilliant.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Foo_Fighters_Wasting_Light_Album_Cover.jpg

Quite simply their best album in my opinion, reached a new level of quality and maturity in Grohl's song writing. Walk is one my favourite songs in recent years.

• Upvote 2

Cornelius - Fantasma

Mad Japanese musical mayhem. And genius.

Magoo Opening - completely hatstand but I fucking love it:

[YOUTUBE]KX4aoHH8k6E[/YOUTUBE]

Star Fruits Surf Rider - really gentle, electronic almost lullaby-type song.

[YOUTUBE]Id1y1_lkvhs[/YOUTUBE]

New Music Machine - lots of thrashing around on guitar with great pop melodies and harmonies.

[YOUTUBE]0QzZ_HmjPvA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead

After being feted by the rock critics for a hip hop album that didn't scare the horses with 3 Feet High And Rising, this follow up left them all cold. It's fucking boss though and A Roller-Skating Jam Named Saturdays is as good as anything they ever did. Ring, Ring, Ring too.

[YOUTUBE]to3y3cmWWRY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DzLVSxlrV-U[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Not getting the love for The Seahorses debut tbh.

I was a massive Squire fan, loving all the stuff he wrote with The Roses and bought The Seahorses record when it came out, and my opinion hasn't changed at all tbh, I think it's uninspired, poorly produced pub rock.

Ian Brown's debut solo album Unfinished Monkey Business came out around the same time and stomped all over it with some great, fresh songs.

Who'd a thunk it ?

Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

This did get some critical acclaim and sold reasonably well too, but it's some sort of fucking next level genius shit as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like future classical music made by AIs on hallucinogens.

Intro//A Cosmic Drama

[YOUTUBE]TDZOaw_AxNc[/YOUTUBE]

Computer Face//Pure Being

[YOUTUBE]il78kyjCDkc[/YOUTUBE]

Mmmhmm ft. Thundercat

[YOUTUBE]ht5VaNI-RfA[/YOUTUBE]

Do The Astral Plane

[YOUTUBE]SDDBxT9uqBk[/YOUTUBE]

Dance Of The Pseudo Nymph

[YOUTUBE]7z6ad1X13ks[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul
  • Upvote 1

Justin Timberlake - Justified

Written off as mere "pop", but as a collection of songs, this stands up to pretty much anything. The production from The Neptunes and Timbaland is incredible and his voice is ace. Even though I love it, I've always wished Michael Jackson hadn't knocked it back when Pharrell offered it up him. That would've been some collaboration.

Senorita

[YOUTUBE]nJHYDkvRB2Y[/YOUTUBE]

Rock Your Body

[YOUTUBE]TSVHoHyErBQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last Night

[YOUTUBE]wijdSooA5vE[/YOUTUBE]

Let's Take a Ride

[YOUTUBE]w3Q9hhF1wpo[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

I also think 22 Dreams is exceptionally underrated and by a mile Weller's most musically diverse' date=' adventurous and exciting album. For me, the critics were playing catch up with Weller's musical step change when they heaped praise on the far inferior Sonik Kicks. This record takes in spoken word, folk, waltz and everything in between with a mind-boggling number of instruments thrown in and loads of orchestration. Here are a few of my favourites off it:

Black River

One Bright Star

22 Dreams

Cold Moments

[/quote']

Too many tracks for me - it was like he couldn't be arsed to choose the songs for the album and just stuck on everything he had recorded. I ended up taking about 13 tracks and makin a playlist off it which a quite liked after initially thinking the record was weak.

Not getting the love for The Seahorses debut tbh.

I was a massive Squire fan, loving all the stuff he wrote with The Roses and bought The Seahorses record when it came out, and my opinion hasn't changed at all tbh, I think it's uninspired, poorly produced pub rock.

Ian Brown's debut solo album Unfinished Monkey Business came out around the same time and stomped all over it with some great, fresh songs.

Who'd a thunk it ?

Monkey Business was the better album, agreed. And Brown demonstrated better staying power than Squire by producing again and again. Have to disagree with you on The Seahorses though.

Seeing it as "Brown v Squire" is definitly to the detriment of The Seahorses. But enjoyed independently of each other, both good albums.

Raphael Saadiq - Instant Vintage

A "neo-soul" album before the term had ever been invented. He wrote, produced, played and arranged everything and the entire record is brilliant. However, Skyy, Can You Feel Me? is timeless and wouldn't have sounded out of place on a Curtis Mayfield or Marvin Gaye record.

[YOUTUBE]ebUNV0kUIH0[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul