You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Since the Suarez thread can't help but descend into a moan about FSG/modern footballers every page or two, and even the "positive thread" has descended into a moan about jsims, here's something that's a bit different: a look toward the future.

He's going to leave, we can all see it (and even if, by some miracle, we manage to keep him, he'll just be on his way in January or next summer at the absolute latest). So, assuming Suarez leaves, what do you think we should do with the money? A player you'd like to see added to the group? A position/positions you think we should really look to reinforce? This is not the thread to look back at what we should have done, or to argue over whether he should go to Real Madrid or Arsenal or wherever. This is the thread to look forward.

£50 million. Or £45 million, or £40 million, or whatever it ends up being. It may not be an incredible amount in the game any more, but it's nothing to sneeze at. What should we do with it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 players for 20 million each

2 attacking players and one midfielder. Not sure who they would be but those are the positions i think we need to strengthen.

Erikkson might be one of them, James Rodriguez the other or munian. That just leaves the central midfielder.....

Alonso?

Put it all behind the bar in the arkles and get shit faced until we are owned by people who really care, have players who give a shit, and start fucking winning like we use to.

Failing that, buy a time machine to go back to the days when players played for the honour and not the wage packet.

A team of Carraghers? a team of Fowlers/Smiths/Hughes/etc anyone from our true glory years would do me right now, as well as the odd Carra thrown in, he was one of the last you could call a true red.

Totally fucked off with the modern player, no loyalty, no honour, no pride, no fuck all.

If it were me, I would have two names on my list. Either of them would cost the bulk of the Suarez money, and would admittedly be difficult to convince, but I think we would have enough money to do it. We couldn't get both, but we should be able to get one of them and have a bit left over.

The first would be Draxler. The best young attacking midfielder in the game, and the only player I've ever seen in a sea of "next Gerrards" that actually made me think it might be true. Would cost almost everything we got for Suarez, as he's just signed a new contract, but I think Schalke would sell for £35-40 million or something ridiculous like that. Would he only be using us as a stepping stone to Dortmund/Bayern? Maybe, but we'd get a couple of very, very good years out of him and probably all of our money back, and hopefully by then be in the CL.

The next name on my list if I couldn't persuade him to sign would be Erik Lamela. Wouldn't be cheap, but he would be cheaper than Draxler, and (slightly) more realistic in terms of odds of convincing the player himself to come. How realistic? I don't know, but with the kind of money we'll have in the kitty I can't see why we couldn't offer £30 million. I think Roma would sell and he could possibly be persuaded to come; it's not like he's tied to Roma by some bond of growing up as a fan. Again, if we failed to make the CL he might be pushing for a move to Real Madrid or something in a few years, but we'd get our money back and hopefully by then be in a better position to take advantage of all these young players coming into their prime.

That would be my top two targets. Again, I understand that either would be difficult, but we have the money to make them happen and we're still Liverpool. Failing that, I think we'll bring in a player from the next tier down. Perhaps Muniain to go with Soldado; that might not be such a precipitous loss if Suarez were to go if that were the end result.

3 players for 20 million each

2 attacking players and one midfielder. Not sure who they would be but those are the positions i think we need to strengthen.

Erikkson might be one of them, James Rodriguez the other or munian. That just leaves the central midfielder.....

Alonso?

Doh, Football Manager fail there, eh? The tiny little bit of credibility you had left, eroded with two little words.

I reckon we get that Mkhityryan bloke.....

Keep Suarez and save ourselves 50 million replacing him. Arsenal finished 12 points ahead of us sell them Suarez its gonna take a lot more than 50 million for us to catch up to them. Selling Torres to Chelsea was a massive blow to Liverpool PR wise its like Chelsea grew a foot taller and we shrank back, we were like fucking biff after Marty's dad twatted him. To then become a side that sells another super star player to a domestic rival the message is clear, profit matters more than success. We need to show we won't be bullied by players or clubs who have that bit extra cash were fucking liverpool and I'm sick of us constantly talking ourselves down and making ourselves seem small time. I've always felt like liverpool were a force in the league until the last 3 years, we've made excuse after fucking excuse, we've tried to throw rational reasoning behind spends and wage structures and reasons behind slow ambition, its all bollocks you're either in it to win it or your a nobody, I'm sick of us being nobody's, yesterday's news there's no excuse for it other than bad fucking decisions after bad decisions from people who are supposed to look out for the clubs interest. Selling suarez to an english side is another bad decision Don't sell to fucking arsenal shove their money up their arse, let Suarez get a titty lip he can go and fuck himself in the reserves, don't let another player diminish our standing, we are a fucking Titan compared to arsenal. The club should come out right fucking now and say we wil not sell to arsenal, simple as that. Time the club showed the fans some respect for once.

If there's any chance of someone like Lamela or Sanchez coming here then I would go for them. Muriel and Soldado are also very good options in different ways.

That being said, I wouldn't sell him to Arsenal for any amount of money, and I would only sell him to Madrid if they offered £50+ million.

Put it all behind the bar in the arkles and get shit faced until we are owned by people who really care, have players who give a shit, and start fucking winning like we use to.

Failing that, buy a time machine to go back to the days when players played for the honour and not the wage packet.

A team of Carraghers? a team of Fowlers/Smiths/Hughes/etc anyone from our true glory years would do me right now, as well as the odd Carra thrown in, he was one of the last you could call a true red.

Totally fucked off with the modern player, no loyalty, no honour, no pride, no fuck all.

We need to stop falling in love with players and imagining they will put loyalty above money.Those days are long gone.I can understand a player wanting to win trophies and play at the highest level but fuck me if we havent been made to look fucking stupid by our last two main frontmen.We put up with the sulky Spanish transexual's half arsed performances for too long and now we are faced with this nasty little fuckers antics despite backing him to the hilt after his "troubles".

Fucking sick of it.Didnt we buy these players to get us into the top 4.Some fucking job they have done between them.I think he'll go for 45 ish.If its to Arsenal he will more than likely take some stick when they play us.Saying that he obviously doesnt give a fuck.At least he wont have to put up with those nasty British journalists.