You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He turned 25 in March my mistake.

The point still stands.

I disagree with the point you made, too. But it's getting repetitive now. We're just going to have to wait to see if the Mig-22 we've got can shoot down a few... oh, I dunno, you finish the pun. I'm bored.

The current Pepe is far from the standard of the old Pepe - a top keeper has been a priority for the past two seasons. Pepe wanted to go to Barcelona, if you want to apportion blame for this situation look no further than him and Barcelona.

Sorry what am I saying! Look no further than FSG, it is clearly their fault that Pepe wanted to move to Barcelona to replace Valdes who decided to stay and fucked up the move.

You make it sound like getting £110k off the wage bill for a keeper was merely a passing phase.

You and I both know that is bullshit.

The point is Reina had won two golden gloves by the time he was 25.

Mignolet has shown nothing absolutely nothing to suggest he'll ever get near that level.

Hang on a minute mate. Reina was playing for one of the top clubs in the country at the time though. If he'd been playing for a shite side like Sunderland I doubt that would of been the case. Plus there is no reason to suggest why Mignolet can't go on to achieve the same sort of accolades as Pepe did when he was here.

I like Reina, and I didn't want him to leave. I liked the idea of bringing in a very highly rated young keeper to challenge, that looked like a competitive move.

Mignolet gets to determine whether this is a bad move or not. If he comes in and makes us no weaker, then it's a success. If he doesn't, then the only person whose going to come out of this looking better is Reina.

Seems a bit of a risk to take for a move that will make us, at best, based on the form of the 2nd half of last season, no weaker, rather than stronger.

Im not too bothered by this. We pretty much knew he was going. A loan seems strange as he wont have much left on his contract when he comes back. We don't seem to be very astute at transfers on any level. Still im not too bothered. I just hope it doesn't mean the wage structure is incredibly rigid to the point we have to remove players just add one player. Either way good luck too pepe.

You make it sound like getting £110k off the wage bill for a keeper was merely a passing phase.

You and I both know that is bullshit.

What are you talking about?

Reina wanted to go, he wanted to go to Barcelona! This small fact seems to be ignored by the usual whingers who can't do anything but criticise the club and the manager.

And yes - £5m a year is too much for a sub, it was too much for Cole and it was too much for Aquilani, and it is too much for Reina.

This begins and ends with Reina and no amount of biased revisionism is going to change that.

This incessant desire to twist everything to be FSG and Rodgers fault is becoming tedious - a large part of our supporters are turning into bitter and twisted fans whose negativity is clouding any perspective and giving way to endless whinging and a need to criticise, a need to be proven right.

Saurez lies to US - that is FSG's fault

Pepe wants to move to Barcelona - that is FSG's fault

It is boring and not even worth discussing. You and the rest have lost all sense of perspective on this matter and I can't be arsed any more.

Pepe has been shit to average for two seasons - but of course, because you can criticise Rodgers he is now the incarnation of Clemence and any other view is simply blind devotion to the owners.

The criticism of this stinks. We should have sold him, should have said that don't care about your loyalty these past years fuck off and find another club - we should have done that instead of finding a compromise that suits everyone.

Reading the first few pages of this thread, you'd thought some people had spent too much time in the sun this week!

Getting a bit carried away with the doom and goom and Anti-Rodgers supporters using it as a stick to beat him with. A move to a good club will help hold his value (may even increase it) for when he does move and help his WC chances, Barca have just lost their latest manager, a new face may decide he wants Reina for all we know.

I think with the staff in place and lessons learnt from past management, we'll get it sorted this summer. People need to stop painting this year's season with an old brush.

Im not too bothered by this. We pretty much knew he was going. A loan seems strange as he wont have much left on his contract when he comes back. We don't seem to be very astute at transfers on any level. Still im not too bothered. I just hope it doesn't mean the wage structure is incredibly rigid to the point we have to remove players just add one player. Either way good luck too pepe.

I'm not that bothered either mate. From the moment we signed Mignolet I always thought there would be a chance he'd leave. I'm a little surprised it was a loan deal though. Which leads me to think maybe it's because there is already a deal in place for him to return to Barca next summer and that's why the Napoli deal isn't permanent.

Reading some of the shite in this thread, I can't believe some of these tubes call themselves supporters. People jumping to conclusions about some other fuckwit's shoddy guesswork, whilst not one of us knows what is actually going on behind the scenes.

If Reina goes, good luck to him, we may find out what really happened if Stevie does a biography update when he hangs his boots up.

Second guessing is just a fuckwit's way of seeking attention.

I'm not that bothered either mate. From the moment we signed Mignolet I always thought there would be a chance he'd leave. I'm a little surprised it was a loan deal though. Which leads me to think maybe it's because there is already a deal in place for him to return to Barca next summer and that's why the Napoli deal isn't permanent.

A chance?

It was a given.

Even if mignolet turned out to be better then Reina it doesn't change the fact this has been handled horribly.

People keep talking about us saving money, we are going in to next season same position as last, one good keeper with shit backup behind him, we are paying more or the same for the gk position in terms of wages and have also lost 9m from our budget.

All the people saying reinas on the decline then there is possibility he goes to Napoli, value goes down, barca don't want and we will be in position where we would just loan to lower wages.

Horrible management of our funds and really Rodgers has to take most of blame, he shouldn't have sanctioned this.

Even if mignolet turned out to be better then Reina it doesn't change the fact this has been handled horribly.

People keep talking about us saving money, we are going in to next season same position as last, one good keeper with shit backup behind him, we are paying more or the same for the gk position in terms of wages and have also lost 9m from our budget.

All the people saying reinas on the decline then there is possibility he goes to Napoli, value goes down, barca don't want and we will be in position where we would just loan to lower wages.

Horrible management of our funds and really Rodgers has to take most of blame, he shouldn't have sanctioned this.

You'd do well to read this mate.

Reading some of the shite in this thread, I can't believe some of these tubes call themselves supporters. People jumping to conclusions about some other fuckwit's shoddy guesswork, whilst not one of us knows what is actually going on behind the scenes.

If Reina goes, good luck to him, we may find out what really happened if Stevie does a biography update when he hangs his boots up.

Second guessing is just a fuckwit's way of seeking attention.

What are you talking about?

Reina wanted to go, he wanted to go to Barcelona! This small fact seems to be ignored by the usual whingers who can't do anything but criticise the club and the manager.

And yes - £5m a year is too much for a sub, it was too much for Cole and it was too much for Aquilani, and it is too much for Reina.

This begins and ends with Reina and no amount of biased revisionism is going to change that.

This incessant desire to twist everything to be FSG and Rodgers fault is becoming tedious - a large part of our supporters are turning into bitter and twisted fans whose negativity is clouding any perspective and giving way to endless whinging and a need to criticise, a need to be proven right.

Saurez lies to US - that is FSG's fault

Pepe wants to move to Barcelona - that is FSG's fault

It is boring and not even worth discussing. You and the rest have lost all sense of perspective on this matter and I can't be arsed any more.

Pepe has been shit to average for two seasons - but of course, because you can criticise Rodgers he is now the incarnation of Clemence and any other view is simply blind devotion to the owners.

The criticism of this stinks. We should have sold him, should have said that don't care about your loyalty these past years fuck off and find another club - we should have done that instead of finding a compromise that suits everyone.

1) You've gone off on a fucking tangent.

2) Reina has been the best keeper since Clemence.

3) Lowering the wage bill has been a priority and no amount of revisionism will alter that fact.

4) Stop being so fucking sanctimonious.

5) It's poor from the club just accept it.

Cheers.

Tell you what, Man U or Arsenal would love to have Reina in goal.

Enough said.

£9m wasted, no DM, no top striker, transfer budget balanced, 6 weeks to go, lets see who is right, those who think FSG are on the verge of a spending spree or those that knoiw we wont be spending without selling.

Which established CL level player will go next?

Will we sell Skrtel, Suarez, Agger or Lucas next? Hmm, hands on buzzers.

Reina wanted to go to Barca, based on nothing or the owners/Rogers have wanted Reina gone all season, witness his inexplicable dropping throughout the first half of the season.

Theres no real evidence for either case yet people are making out they know one way or another, the word agenda springs to mind.

We have loaned a player we have for sale to a team that has something like 100m available and we supposedly get fucked everytime because teams know we have money and push up price.

And if we don't loan him? What if the signing of a flash new player with shit tattoos and bright pink boots rests on the wages a sub keeper is sitting on? What then?

It was clear Pepe was going as soon as we started looking at keepers, he wasn't just going to sit on the bench. With few places Pepe was willing to go, a loan is far from ideal but was always a possibility.

If we'd 100% sorted the deal for Reina to leave first, buying his replacement would have been tough as every club would know we were desperate.

This situation isn't ideal, but what are people genuinely so upset about? If it's the fact Reina's leaving, well i don't understand who didn't see that coming when we bought Mignolet.

If it's because it's a loan and we're not getting a few million, well half the forum bang on about FSG spending the few extra quid to get their first choice. Effectively that's what we've done, only arse about face - spent less on the initial transfer but got less for our outgoing keeper. Again, it's not ideal but hardly the crime of the century.

Tell you what, Man U or Arsenal would love to have Reina in goal.

Enough said.

£9m wasted, no DM, no top striker, transfer budget balanced, 6 weeks to go, lets see who is right, those who think FSG are on the verge of a spending spree or those that knoiw we wont be spending without selling.

Which established CL level player will go next?

Will we sell Skrtel, Suarez, Agger or Lucas next? Hmm, hands on buzzers.

Hardly established CL players those, though you could says Kolo Toure is. I'd guess the next ones to going will be one thats arent committed or aren't good enough, as would be right.

And if we don't loan him? What if the signing of a flash new player with shit tattoos and bright pink boots rests on the wages a sub keeper is sitting on? What then?

It was clear Pepe was going as soon as we started looking at keepers' date=' he wasn't just going to sit on the bench. With few places Pepe was willing to go, a loan is far from ideal but was always a possibility.

If we'd 100% sorted the deal for Reina to leave first, buying his replacement would have been tough as every club would know we were desperate.

This situation isn't ideal, but what are people genuinely so upset about? If it's the fact Reina's leaving, well i don't understand who didn't see that coming when we bought Mignolet.

If it's because it's a loan and we're not getting a few million, well half the forum bang on about FSG spending the few extra quid to get their first choice. Effectively that's what we've done, only arse about face - spent less on the initial transfer but got less for our outgoing keeper. Again, it's not ideal but hardly the crime of the century.[/quote']

Reina should have been sold first, the fact we were bidding for mignolet let clubs know we were looking to sell so your argument about it would have been harder to sign a keeper after he was sold is wrong imo.

The problem is our team needs big investment and we have just used 9m on a position that could have waited to be addressed, we should have just stuck with Reina until next summer.