You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some people are saying maybe pepe didn't want a permanent move this summer, so that's why he is going on loan.

Sorry, but when has a football club allowed a player to dictate when he is sold permanently? I'm pretty sure the club decides that.

Pepe may want a move to barca next year but why the fuck have we allowed him to decide this? This has already been mentioned, but why haven't barca signed him then loaned him to Napoli for the season?

Once we signed mingolet we fucked ourselves over. Clubs knew we had a 100k a week player who would be sitting on th bench and everyone knows we can't afford that. This meant we weakened our negotiation power and Napoli have now exploited that.

You can guarantee that Napoli will not be paying all of his wage this season. They pulled out of the cesar loan deal because they couldn't agree personal terms, but somehow have agreed a deal with pepe, who earns 30/40k more per week.

I think it's time pepe moved on, he has been phenomenal for us over the past 8 years and the best keeper I've seen play for us. But it let him go on loan is a mistake. I'm sure pepe wouldn't want to sit on the bench in a World Cup year, as you never know what could happen to casillas i.e form or injury.

Already mentioned it but If barca really want him to replace valdes next season, buy him now and loan him to Napoli, why can't they do that?

We have shit ourselves knowing that barca won't take him this summer and have accepted the first offer that helps reduce the ever so important wage bill.

Bollocks!

Im surprised so many people think that goalkeeper wasn`t a priority position. For me it was an absolute priority. Reina has been costing us goals hand over fist for 3 seasons now and an improvement in the last couple of months doesn`t change that.

And lets face it, teams aren`t beating a path to our door to sign him.

lack of ambition id say on our part .....what was it rodgers said he wants 2 players for every position to create competition well fuck me letting your best keeper go out on loan is really doing that!!

rodgers wernt brought into manage the team he was brought in to manage the wage bill and be a yes man!!!

if suarez goes to the gunners it will just prove the point that we lack ambition and the top 4 if far away and most likely anything above 7th.....another long season ahead

Im surprised so many people think that goalkeeper wasn`t a priority position. For me it was an absolute priority. Reina has been costing us goals hand over fist for 3 seasons now and an improvement in the last couple of months doesn`t change that.

And lets face it' date=' teams aren`t beating a path to our door to sign him.[/quote']

This had nothing to do with the defence either then or Brad Jones?

I had similar feelings about Reina until Jones played a few games for us and now i definitely dont harbour the same view.

Yes, Reina is shit and completely useless.

I never said that at all. Reina's been a great servant to the club. Even turning down a big move when the club was in a total mess but that's where it all went wrong for him.

Ever since then he's looked uninterested and his shot stopping ability has been frankly pathetic at times. The last three seasons he has been average at best imo and no matter how good he was in the past there's just no getting away from that for me.

He'll leave the club a bit of a legend and rightly so. I hope he gets his move to Spain next season and adds some medals to his too small collection.

I don't know if Mignolet is better, I've seen nothing of him really. I do trust the scouts not to go spend £11m on a useless keeper. If he does turn out a bit shit then the club are going to look like mugs no doubt. We just have to wait and see how our new number one is going to do.

You are completely missing the point.

Mignolet was obviously going to be first choice, but Reina should have been sold.

If we weren't going to sell Reina then a loan deal with a loan fee and the club covering all his wages with a fee agreed for a permanent transfer at the end of it should have been the next option.

Loaning him out for half his wages means that the only money we receive is the money to pay him our half of the wages, despite him not being here!

If he get's a really bad injury, or performs absolutely woefully in Italy, he will come back here and be worth much less than he is now.

Even if he plays really well and gets back to his best, he will still be worth less than he is now due to having less time left on his contact, he will be a year older, and it will be obvious to all clubs that he's not wanted here, therefore won't command a big fee.

No mate, you're missing the point. Do you really think there were better options available to us and we refused to take them? I guess FSG can't win. Apparently they want to get high earners off the wage bill but they are also ready to accept a deal that sees them paying the same amount of wages. Which one is it? Also, who's to say that Reina didn't simply decide he wanted to go to Napoli and nowhere else when they came in for him?

There is some strange logic on this forum sometimes.

I had similar feelings about Reina until Jones played a few games for us and now i definitely dont harbour the same view.[/. I think that's more a reflection on Brad Jones and his inadequacy as a keeper.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You said yourself you wouldn't have done this.

In an ideal world, mate. I wouldn't have quite done it like this. Unfortunately, this stuff gets complicated by people having their own minds.

Please explain the grand plan of spending £9m of a limited transfer budget on this deal?

We don't know what the budget is or what was expected to happen with Reina's proposed move to Barca. People hammered the club, maybe rightly, for allowing Carroll to go before getting in a replacement. This time we moved for a replacement first, and he's a quality replacement. The downside of that is if the move doesn't go through, you're left with a situation like the one we're in. We can't have it both ways.

My issue is that you seem to think we're paying to have an inferior keeper. We're paying for one of the league's best keepers, who has been significantly better than Reina over the last two season, at least by any objective standard. You think Reina's better, which is a perfectly acceptable opinion, but it appears that either Rodgers doesn't or that Pepe wanted to move so we got a replacement in first.

Is it ideal that we loaned Reina? Of course it isn't. The issue is likely to be that he doesn't want to make a permanent move with Valdes leaving next season. This looks to have been making the best of a bad situation. By the way, if he plays really well in Italy under Rafa and Valero, he'll still have two years on his contract and he'll still be worth a significant amount of money. The alternative is to pay him 4m a year to sit on the bench and decrease his value.

We signed Reina when he was 22 for £6m.

Between 2005 & 2009 he was, along with Cech & Casillas the best keeper on the planet.

We have now signed Mignolet for £9m who's 26 who may be as good/marginally better but in all likelihood inferior to the current Pepe Reina.

He is not and never will be better than Reina between 2005-2009.

We have now loaned out Reina.

It's poor by everyone concerned.

Quite a gamble by Rodgers, this. He's gonna look pretty fucking stupid if Mignolet can't handle the pressure of playing for a big club.

I would not have made it a priority to replaced Pepe this summer. Then again, I thought Rafa was stupid to go out and spend on Reina when we already had Jerzy and the (back then) up and coming Kirkland, so what the fuck do I know.

Good luck to Pepe if he leaves. Top man, top keeper.

Guest San Don

Between 2005 & 2009 he was, along with Cech & Casillas the best keeper on the planet.

We have now signed Mignolet for £9m who's 26 who may be as good/marginally better but in all likelihood inferior to the current Pepe Reina.

Is this a joke post?

How can you say mingolet will never be better than reina between 2005 - 09? And what good is it now to have a keeper who was by your definition better in a period 4 years ago? In case you have realised, this is season 2013 - 14!

The current Pepe is far from the standard of the old Pepe - a top keeper has been a priority for the past two seasons. Pepe wanted to go to Barcelona, if you want to apportion blame for this situation look no further than him and Barcelona.

Sorry what am I saying! Look no further than FSG, it is clearly their fault that Pepe wanted to move to Barcelona to replace Valdes who decided to stay and fucked up the move.

I had similar feelings about Reina until Jones played a few games for us and now i definitely dont harbour the same view.

Reina`s mistakes are Reina`s mistakes, no one elses.

And just because B.Jones is shit it doesn`t give Reina a free pass.

And Mignolet is better than both. Im glad we`ve got him.

The real concern is that the coaching staff cannot get the best out of Riena. Rafa clearly believes he can.

When we start downgrading players because the manager is failing to get the best from our world class players we have problems.

I have no argument against Riena's form, which has slumped. However why has that happened and why are we incapable of improving it? Are the owners going to use a slump in form as excuse to get rid of players instead of expecting the coaching staff to solve the problems with the player?

Wouldn't surprise me to see that Rodgers has ignored some players he wants gone. He certainly threw Skrtel under the bus a few times during the season and same with Coates. Would be a mark of a Maureen disciple.

Is this a joke post?

How can you say mingolet will never be better than reina between 2005 - 09? And what good is it now to have a keeper who was by your definition better in a period 4 years ago? In case you have realised, this is season 2013 - 14!

So the answer is to replace him with someone who isn't as good/possibly as good/maybe marginally better than the current version of Reina for £9m?

The point is Reina had won two golden gloves by the time he was 25.

Mignolet has shown nothing absolutely nothing to suggest he'll ever get near that level.