You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina is obviously allowed to such an opinion as its all pretty subjective, he's probably the second or third best manager he has played for anyway so not much in it.

The rest is not subjective opinions though, its facts.

You're such a fucking loon.

Reina says Rafa's the best manager he's worked for, and it's subjective.

He says anything else, and it's fact.

Fuck me fella, you're not right in the head.

Just on his website

It is a strange feeling for me to think that next season I will not be a Liverpool player. For the past eight years, that is all I have known. The club, the staff, the city, the people and the supporters have played a massive part in my life. Liverpool is special in a way that only those who are lucky enough to experience the club close up can understand. It has given me memories that will live with me forever and friendships that will last just as long.

But more than anything else, it has given me an understanding of what it is like to play for the most wonderful English club. I may not have won as many trophies and medals as I would have liked since joining in 2005 but the experiences I have been a part of are as important as any silverware. I now understand how supporters can lift a team and inspire them to do special things. I appreciate that there is something unique about Anfield and the atmosphere it creates. I believe that anything is possible no matter what the situation is because at Liverpool there is no such thing as a lost cause. And I have been humbled by the fight for justice for the 96 which showed me that the Liverpool people will always fight for what they believe in.

I know that I have been blessed to be part of a Club like that and I hope that in return I have always given my best and represented Liverpool in the right way. There have been good times and bad times but no matter what the situation has been I hope that my passion has been clear. I have been asked what my favourite Liverpool moment was and if I had to pick one it wouldn't be a save or winning a trophy. It would be my celebration against Manchester United when David Ngog scored a late goal. That is probably the quickest I have ever run in my life! It shows what playing for Liverpool meant to me and also that there was nothing better than winning a big game at Anfield. I used to look at the Kop when we scored those kind of goals in big games and I would be jealous of the supporters going crazy. If the closest I will get to that is running the length of the pitch and jumping on my team mates backs then that will do for me.

Obviously, I won't be able to do that next season but I hope that the supporters and my team mates will be able to enjoy many more moments like that. They deserve the best of times and it would give me so much pleasure to see Liverpool back where they belong, challenging for trophies and getting back into the top four. That was where the club was when I first arrived and although I am leaving a different club, one with new owners, a new manager, new players and new challenges, I honestly believe that Liverpool can reach those levels again.

I am disappointed that I will not be part of that and although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me. They signed me, picked me, gave me some of the best experiences of my life and looked after me. If they feel that the best thing for me and for them is for me to go on loan to Napoli for a season then so be it. Napoli is a new challenge for me and I know that the fans are just as passionate about their team as the Liverpool fans, so I am really looking forward to playing for them this season and I will give my all.

But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football. A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made. I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. When it didn't come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club´s interests to send me to Napoli instead.

None of this will change my feelings for the club or the people in any way and now I have to look forward to a new challenge with Rafa Benitez, who I consider to be the best manager I have worked with, and I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. Napoli remind me in many ways of the Liverpool I found in 2005, in all the affection they have shown me on my arrival, in having an ambitious project, even in coinciding and working with Benitez again...This memory which in part unites me with you, makes me happy and feel very motivated to begin this new project.

This is my chance to say thank you to everyone for everything that you have given to me and to my family. My children consider Liverpool to be their home and hopefully their love for the city and also for the club will only grow while we are away. I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye in a different way but because of the way the move came about this was not possible.

Maybe in the near future I can do it properly so that I can show my appreciation to you but all I would ask now is that you keep on inspiring the manager and the players just like you always have done and help Liverpool to become the club that you deserve once again. I would like nothing better than to come back at the end of my year away and for Liverpool to be back where they belong.

Thank you for everything. Good luck. I will see you soon.

Pepe Reina.

Not sure the remark about Benitez will ease his path back in next season.....

Top fella is Pepe.

I'm sure we'd let him stay on the bench if he wanted his wages trimmed down to what Jones is earning. So as much as the tearjerking story about Liverpool being his kids' home and all that, he could still be living in Liverpool if he chose to earn a little less, it's his decision not ours.

We can't have a sub goalie on 100k a week, it's just not possible Pepe lad. And your comments about Rafa are out of order, and I love Rafa. You don't go doing that.

Are you questioning Reina's integrity and honesty, a player who has spoke up for the club and spoke the truth when others have stayed silent?

Yes i am

He wanted out and was waiting for Barca to make an offer.

His form has been shit for a long time while he was waiting for said offer.

He didnt get said offer.........is that our fault?

Every person at the club would leave if Barca wanted them. Excluding Gerrard and maybe Agger.

Barca didn't want Reina though, or he would be there now.

It's a bit embarrassing really for Reina, he angled for a move. He tried to get Barca to come out and make an offer and they didn't

How can he tell Liverpool that he will go to Barca but if they dont offer he will stay here?!

Shows real commitment that does. His performances for 2-3 years showed a lack of commitment also.

The club has done nothing wrong in seeking a replacement and getting him off the wage bill. He is an under performer on £100k a week

Every person at the club would leave if Barca wanted them. Excluding Gerrard and maybe Agger.

There's a difference between that and actually approaching the club to tell them that you'll leave if an offer comes in.

It's fairly obvious that Barca and Reina were in contact for some time about a possible move because of the Valdes situation. We simply had to act otherwise we could have been left in a situation where he left and the replacement we really wanted had already been snapped up.

Don't forget that Reina admitted in his book that he wanted to go to Arsenal a few years ago as well.

Good on the club for being proactive, I say. Especially when a player is on a downward trend in terms of form yet is paid as if he's world class.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Spot on, Brownie.

Yep, spot on. We had to be pro-active because if we lost Reina every keeper's price would have shot up, and if we lost him in January we'd be hard pushed to get an adequate replacement and anything like a sensible price. Then people would have been saying FSG wrote off our season by their inaction.

If it's true that the Napoli thing was 100% behind his back and Rafa didn't mention anything to the player, then that's a bit scabby. As Stu says, though, that's not entirely likely. Either way, we had to get ourselves sorted and I think we've done it whilst upgrading. Certainly as far as the last couple of seasons have gone. We've got a player on the up for one who is possibly on the slide.

Next up: Buy some good players for the first team. Ta.

31.05.13:

Transfer news: Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes to see out contract at Camp Nou | Barcelona Football News, Fixtures, Results, Table | Sky Sports

03.06.13:

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reds move for Christian Benteke, Atletico challenge Real for Suarez as Rodgers swoops for Mignolet - Liverpool Echo

06.06.13:

Liverpool FC transfer rumour mill: Andy Carroll close to West Ham, Reds eye Carlos Tevez & Edin Dzeko, Simon Mignolet latest - Liverpool Echo

13.06.13:

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Rodgers eyes double goalkeeper swoop for Mignolet and Patricio, Reina to exit, Reds eye Chelsea loan deal - Liverpool Echo

15.06.13:

Liverpool FC eye £9m Simon Mignolet transfer as Pepe Reina future remains uncertain - Liverpool Echo

17.06.13:

Liverpool FC step up pursuit of Simon Mignolet amid doubt over Pepe Reina future - Liverpool Echo

19.06.13:

Liverpool FC: Can Simon Mignolet fill Pepe Reina’s boots if Barcelona come calling? - Liverpool Echo

21.06.13:

Liverpool FC Pepe Reina expects to stay at Anfield - "in principle" - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Reina and Mignolet deals in doubt, Alberto set for medical, Skrtel snubs Napoli, Mkhitaryan hitch - Liverpool Echo

22.06.13:

Liverpool FC to complete £9m Simon Mignolet transfer next week - Liverpool Echo

24.06.13:

Simon Mignolet will rival Pepe Reina for Liverpool FC, not replace him - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool FC Transfer Rumour Mill: Henderson for sale as Rodgers chases Wanyama, Mkhitaryan deal close, City in for Suarez, Reina welcomes Mignolet competition - Liverpool Echo

25.06.13:

Simon Mignolet set to sign for Liverpool FC today - Liverpool Echo

Live: Re-Read our Simon Mignolet web chat with Sunderland expert Mark Douglas - Liverpool Echo

Belgium goalkeeper Simon Mignolet signs £10m deal to Liverpool Football Club - Liverpool Echo

26.06.13:

Belgium goalkeeper Simon Mignolet signs £10m deal to Liverpool Football Club - Liverpool Echo

29.06.13:

05.07.13:

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool FC need Simon Mignolet and Pepe Reina - Liverpool Echo

08.07.13:

Liverpool FC new boy Simon Mignolet happy to accept challenge of displacing Pepe Reina at LFC's number one - Liverpool Echo

11.07.13:

New Liverpool FC goalkeeper Simon Mignolet: Let me show what I can do - Liverpool Echo

19.07.13:

Napoli express Pepe Reina interest as ex Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez looks to be reunited with keeper - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool FC's Pepe Reina to sign for Napoli on season-long loan - Liverpool Echo

21.07.13:

Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers: We can't justify Pepe Reina's wages with Simon Mignolet here - Liverpool Echo

Pepe Reina Napoli loan deal is Liverpool FC evolution, says Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Echo

23.07.13:

Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers: We can't justify Pepe Reina's wages with Simon Mignolet here - Liverpool Echo

24.07.13:

Pepe Reina passes Napoli medical to complete Liverpool FC loan move - Liverpool Echo

26.07.13:

Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers insists Reina insisted on move - Liverpool Echo

27.07.13:

Straight in at no.1! Simon Mignolet already a hit with Liverpool FC fans - Liverpool Echo

29.07.13:

Pepe Reina's message to Liverpool FC fans: "Thank you for everything...I will see you soon" - Liverpool Echo

• Upvote 1

Yep, spot on. We had to be pro-active because if we lost Reina every keeper's price would have shot up, and if we lost him in January we'd be hard pushed to get an adequate replacement and anything like a sensible price. Then people would have been saying FSG wrote off our season by their inaction.

If it's true that the Napoli thing was 100% behind his back and Rafa didn't mention anything to the player, then that's a bit scabby. As Stu says, though, that's not entirely likely. Either way, we had to get ourselves sorted and I think we've done it whilst upgrading. Certainly as far as the last couple of seasons have gone. We've got a player on the up for one who is possibly on the slide.

Next up: Buy some good players for the first team. Ta.

Will this happen with every player if we sell Suarez? Surely we should be getting players in now then instead of waiting to see what happens? We'll not be spending more than 25m on one player anyway so might as well sign them while Suarez is still here.