You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pull?

Code

Yep, selling Baros was always going to be a mistake.

Him and Morientes seemed to connect more and more so you might be on to something.

Thedre was no way forward after that, but happily the core from GH's team still was intact so we managed to win the FA Cup before it all fell to pieces.

In your case Code:

perception_eq_reality2.jpg

Yep, selling Baros was always going to be a mistake.

Him and Morientes seemed to connect more and more so you might be on to something.

Thedre was no way forward after that, but happily the core from GH's team still was intact so we managed to win the FA Cup before it all fell to pieces.

While I disagree with most of what you say let's be clear on one point Code, Baros was an average player with an average strike rate and did very little of note after he left the club. Great hair obviously.

I think Monaco are a good example here. No CL next season (no European football at all in fact - I think), a manager/coach who, whilst having been around a while, has won little or nothing of note, but are now attracting the likes of Falcao, Moutinho etc. If money is no object, then it does seem possible to pull some much sought after players to your club, even if you have no CL and a coach with a rather mediocre track record.

I think that large salaries and CL are at the top of the list of factors, with who the manager is a good way beneath these two.

When did we 'lose it'? I'm not sure that we have entirely, but clearly not being owned by multi-millionaires who don't give much of a toss about losing money, and not being in the CL for a number of seasons is something of a barrier to signing players of a certain calibre.

I think Monaco are a good example here. No CL next season (no European football at all in fact - I think), a manager/coach who, whilst having been around a while, has won little or nothing of note, but are now attracting the likes of Falcao, Moutinho etc. If money is no object, then it does seem possible to pull some much sought after players to your club, even if you have no CL and a coach with a rather mediocre track record.

I think that large salaries and CL are at the top of the list of factors, with who the manager is a good way beneath these two.

When did we 'lose it'? I'm not sure that we have entirely, but clearly not being owned by multi-millionaires who don't give much of a toss about losing money, and not being in the CL for a number of seasons is something of a barrier to signing players of a certain calibre.

I think that Monaco , as a tax haven on the South of France, have two adavantages that few can match.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why are Spurs able to sign better players than us?

Because they're a better bet for CL football, having been in it recently and only just missing out last time. No, wait, it's because they might win the league cup.

Spurs are a better pull because they have actual money to spend, they have a brilliant negotiator in Levy, they have AVB who's a drawer to players esp though who have played in Spain/Portugal, they're in London which is always a pull and they're closer in terms of recent league positions.

Spurs are a better pull because they have actual money to spend, they have a brilliant negotiator in Levy, they have AVB who's a draw to players, esp though who have played in Spain/Portugal, they're in London which is always a pull and they're closer in terms of recent league positions.

A very good summary.

[How do we get it back and when did we lose it?

With the David Moores decision to sell to Hicks and Gillette. Then later with Rafas dismissal and Hodgsons appointment. I still think people who wanted that should be quartered. You had the ART on here. I’m sure that Kyall claimed he was instrumental in the swindle.

How do we get it back and when did we lose it?

Short term we get it back by appointing a top class MD/CEO and manager.Long term we find owners who are prepared to make significant net investment on the pitch on players and off the pitch in a new/redeveloped stadium.

Decline is never instant and tends to be cumulative.

The Moores regime was a caretaker period, exited when he realised that he had no appetite for the Modern World.

Our failure to grasp the stadium nettle by redevelopment or new build has cost, and will continue to cost, us dear.

LFC is currenty a cruel paradox. Our greatest figure, Shankly, was a visionary, a man who helped haul ther club to within touching distance of European greatness. Now. too many look backwards to try to rediscover that greatness, rather look forwards.

With the David Moores decision to sell to Hicks and Gillette. Then later with Rafas dismissal and Hodgsons appointment. I still think people who wanted that should be quartered. You had the ART on here. I’m sure that Kyall claimed he was instrumental in the swindle.

Give it a rest you boring arse wipe.

I'd say we need a top CEO who knows what he's doing

Poach one if needs be

I agree, but FSG don't want one.

Mindful of the fact that one would cost about two months of Luis wages ( a typical ban period for Luis), it would represent pretty good value.

I agree, but FSG don't want one.

Mindful of the fact that one would cost about two months of Luis wages ( a typical ban period for Luis), it would represent pretty good value.

Yeah, a top CEO has always been crucial when attracting top players. They don't give a fuck about money and CL football, they just care a about the CEO of the football club.

What actually is wrong with people?

Spurs are a better pull because they have actual money to spend, they have a brilliant negotiator in Levy, they have AVB who's a drawer to players esp though who have played in Spain/Portugal, they're in London which is always a pull and they're closer in terms of recent league positions.

legs_drawer_rear.jpg

I dont even think its a football thing, i honestly believe agents and managers can sell London over Liverpool to most players quite easily.

Where would a foreign player with loads of money want to live in England?

As much as i love Liverpool they are going to choose the glitz and glamour of London over Liverpool most of the time.

The london clubs have taken over because they can charge higher prices and thus pay higher wages and have the pull of being in the capital.

Northern clubs cant rip off their loyal fans like they do down south, becuase in London they can sell out a stadium without the need for loyal fans.....the place is just too busy and full of tourists for them not to sell out.

Thats the reason we dont have the pull anymore......

I dont even think its a football thing' date=' i honestly believe agents and managers can sell London over Liverpool to most players quite easily.

Where would a foreign player with loads of money want to live in England?

As much as i love Liverpool they are going to choose the glitz and glamour of London over Liverpool most of the time.

The london clubs have taken over because they can charge higher prices and thus pay higher wages and have the pull of being in the capital.

Northern clubs cant rip off their loyal fans like they do down south, becuase in London they can sell out a stadium without the need for loyal fans.....the place is just too busy and full of tourists for them not to sell out.

Thats the reason we dont have the pull anymore......[/quote']

You don't half chat some absolute guff.

You get pull by having a world class operation filled with ambitious, smart, hard-working, honest people. I didn't trust John Henry the moment I found out he had a wife half his age and he has lived down to my low expectations so far. From the bullshit about a new stadium to the "Torres-15M bollocks" this guy has given the impression of a total charlatan and novice. Werner is not much better with his "we can compete with anybody financially" nonsense. The fact they hired Rodgers; a PR man with zero achievements in the game, told me all about their intent to sell a polished turd as gold. Add in the Being Liverpool fiasco, the Suarez racism capitulation and everything about them comes off as fake, sophomoric and half-arsed. I cannot even call them awful because they don't have the courage to be that bad, they're simply mediocre and the players are following suit.

You get pull by having a world class operation filled with ambitious, smart, hard-working, honest people. I didn't trust John Henry the moment I found out he had a wife half his age and he has lived down to my low expectations so far. From the bullshit about a new stadium to the "Torres-15M bollocks" this guy has given the impression of a total charlatan and novice. Werner is not much better with his "we can compete with anybody financially" nonsense. The fact they hired Rodgers; a PR man with zero achievements in the game, told me all about their intent to sell a polished turd as gold. Add in the Being Liverpool fiasco, the Suarez racism capitulation and everything about them comes off as fake, sophomoric and half-arsed. I cannot even call them awful because they don't have the courage to be that bad, they're simply mediocre and the players are following suit.

So all our current woes are down to FSG, then?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If only we had more hard-working, ambitious workers at the club, Messi would be all over us. Hmn, not sure that's the way it works.