You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fleetwood Mac

Faustus

• 1 year later...

I don't know how much the Munich LSD stories are to blame or whether the other members used it as a convenient excuse to phase them out, but psychologically the pair of them went down fast after that incident. Makes you wonder what the real truth was there.

I don't know how much the Munich LSD stories are to blame or whether the other members used it as a convenient excuse to phase them out, but psychologically the pair of them went down fast after that incident. Makes you wonder what the real truth was there.

Kirwan lasted another two years after Green left but the Munich incident definitely seemed very weird. The impression I get from the rest of the band is that they were pretty bitter about what happened.

Kirwan lasted another two years after Green left but the Munich incident definitely seemed very weird. The impression I get from the rest of the band is that they were pretty bitter about what happened.

The stories are quite contradictory. If you listen to Mick the pair of them almost died in the backseat of the car tripping but Green's recollection is more normal, that he enjoyed the party and wrote good music there. 

• Upvote 1

Id say in Greenes case, acid wouldnt have helped if he had any mental health issues going on at the time. The lyrics in Man of the World had already hinted at someone struggling with issues. I don't think Kirwan was in Munich.

According to Mick Fleetwood, Green wanted the band to give away all the money they made to charity. Could see that as causing friction in the band.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I can't imagine why you don't like him

original.jpg

Fuck’s sake, what a knob. Makes me cringe whenever I see Nicks perform or collaborate with the little blert. That said, my marriage proposal to her (wrote a letter to her fan club when I was about 10) still stands.

Bernie Marsden : Jamming with Peter Green

Every three months or so, Bernie Marsden makes a two-hour drive from his home near Oxford, heading south-west. He'll arrive at his destination – an unremarkable house in a quiet residential street – feeling a little nervous. A short while after he rings the bell, the front door opens. "I go, ‘Hello Pete’, or sometimes I call him Pedro. Then he invites me in and makes me a cup of tea. Mentally, I still pinch myself as I walk through the door", says Marsden. As former songwriter and guitarist with UFO, Whitesnake and Paice Ashton Lord, Bernie isn’t normally given to starry-eyedness. But these visits are different. The person he comes to see is Peter Green, his idol as a young guitarist growing up in the late ’60s. The fanboy, it transpires, has never quite left him.

Before too long, Marsden and Green move to the front room with their guitars, where they are joined by Green’s friend and neighbour Paul Hoenderkamp. "He makes sure Peter plays every other day", says Marsden. "I think they go fishing together, too." The three of them begin playing - a loose jam between friends, with no agenda. Marsden sets a tape running to record what they do. "Last time around we did 'Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’On', Little Richard’s 'Lucille', 'The Young Ones' by The Shadows and The Beatles’ 'Help!' And then we started rolling into ‘Oh Well’…"  On his most recent visit to Green’s place, shortly before Christmas, Bernie Marsden took with him a bootleg of Fleetwood Mac recordings, circa 1967-68. "It's BBC sessions and two American concerts", he says. "Really good quality. When I mentioned that one section sounded particularly good, Peter just went ‘Bit messy !‘ I imagine that’s what he was like to be in the band with at the time - really tough. But he admitted ‘Yeah, we were a good little band’."

(text : Rob Hughes - "Uncut", Jan. 2020. / photo : Paul Hoenderkamp)

781A8114-1C1A-47C0-82BB-92CC9BAB0597.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2