You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lived in a few places but would only considered myself to have emigrated once - to Hungary where I currently am.

Things that I think have helped

-Being based in a city where you are not dependent on a single community to accept you

-Being somewhere where enough English is spoken that you can get by easily (again a city or big town helps with that)

- Having a job with a local office and colleagues that can help you settle in

- Identifying a community that can help with the move (for me this was a good expat association and the members of a fan club that supported the team of a certain sport). Preferably more than one in case you fall out with one group

- Having the option of escape if needed so not investing in anything big like property and being able to go back to a job in the UK if I had hated it

Hope that helps a bit

Where to RiS? And how did you find integration? Do you have a family? ie; a wife and kids, not a mum and dad.

erm...Sweden.

English wife and three kids all born in England apart from the first who was born while I was here studying. I studied Swedish so the language wasn't an issue for me, but it was for Mrs RiS as she didn't speak a word when we came here. She was at home with the kids the first few years while trying to learn, but didn't have classes. After about 4 years she went to work and then after another couple of years she was studying for a medical degree in Swedish at Uppsala University. She is way more clever than me.

Lived in a few places but would only considered myself to have emigrated once - to Hungary where I currently am.

Things that I think have helped

-Being based in a city where you are not dependent on a single community to accept you

-Being somewhere where enough English is spoken that you can get by easily (again a city or big town helps with that)

- Having a job with a local office and colleagues that can help you settle in

- Identifying a community that can help with the move (for me this was a good expat association and the members of a fan club that supported the team of a certain sport). Preferably more than one in case you fall out with one group

- Having the option of escape if needed so not investing in anything big like property and being able to go back to a job in the UK if I had hated it

Hope that helps a bit

Good advice. Not just if you want to move back to UK, but just so you can get to know the areas of the new place. You might love the new place but want to live in a different part of town. We rented the first few years (We were skint too, so buying wasn't an option), but decided we had got lucky with the choice of town and have stayed there ever since.

I am considering moving to Gibraltar.

I've got experience of working in betting, and customer service.

Who and where are the best companies to work for over there?

I lived in Malta for 6 months in 2011, but found it very difficult to get a decent job out there.

Malta's gaming industry is tiny compared to Gib's.

There are loads of companies here, most of the ones you heard of have offices here, William Hill, BetVictor, Bet365, Ladbrokes Stan James etc etc etc and the company I work for are on a mental recruitment drive at the moment for example.

Experience is key in betting, I'd be surprised if you had trouble finding a job in Gib with the experience you outlined.

Drop us a PM if you're interested and I'll give you some contacts as per MT. :)

Edited by pauliescouse
Forgot to quote!

Malta's gaming industry is tiny compared to Gib's.

There are loads of companies here, most of the ones you heard of have offices here, William Hill, BetVictor, Bet365, Ladbrokes Stan James etc etc etc and the company I work for are on a mental recruitment drive at the moment for example.

Experience is key in betting, I'd be surprised if you had trouble finding a job in Gib with the experience you outlined.

Drop us a PM if you're interested and I'll give you some contacts as per MT. :)

I also work in gaming. I am thinking of doing 6 months or so in Malta if I stay with the same company for a few more years. It would be nice to try living somewhere else without the fag of a full relocation.

Anyone know how strict New Zealand are on immigration, are they like the Aussies or a bit more relaxed?

You're a Bristolian?? Part time sheep shagger?? Should be a breeze!

Joking apart I believe the Kiwis are somewhat more relaxed on immigration, dunno if that has changed much due to the economy.

A lot of people use it as a stepping stone - same as bali and fiji, on first landing down here quite strange to meet fijians who are second generation Indians, and have anglicised names.

Waiting to speak to a dude called Hamish - instinct says scot, HR says Fijian, dude is second generation Indian - need to relinquish the pre-conceived conversations pretty quick - dude has never heard of Danny McGrain or Paki Bonner. All good fun though.

erm...Sweden.

English wife and three kids all born in England apart from the first who was born while I was here studying. I studied Swedish so the language wasn't an issue for me, but it was for Mrs RiS as she didn't speak a word when we came here. She was at home with the kids the first few years while trying to learn, but didn't have classes. After about 4 years she went to work and then after another couple of years she was studying for a medical degree in Swedish at Uppsala University. She is way more clever than me.

My Girlfriend is Swedish. lives in Helsingborg.

She would love for me to move....thinking about it too.

Anyone know how strict New Zealand are on immigration, are they like the Aussies or a bit more relaxed?
One of my best mates and his bird gave up on the idea of moving to NZ after about 3 years of trying and moved to Australia because it was easier.

Guess it depends on the need for your work skills and your other half.

One of my best mates and his bird gave up on the idea of moving to NZ after about 3 years of trying and moved to Australia because it was easier.

Guess it depends on the need for your work skills and your other half.

Yeah, what he said. I got in because my missus is a New Zealander. I've got no other discernible desirable qualities. Long winded process as well. I had to be on a work permit for a certain length of time, 18 months I think. Then took about another 6 months for my residency to come through. I'm eligible for citizenship and dual nationality next year.

ETA : Heres the link to the website if you want to take a look LF. Immigration New Zealand

I moved to Italy and have lived in a few different places here. Bari in Puglia, Viterbo in Lazio and now Bolzano in Alto Adige.

Its really lovely and life is good. Can't see me leaving here.

What inspired the, fairly sizeable, movement within the country?

What inspired the, fairly sizeable, movement within the country?

First time was work. Second was to be near family. Third was we got tired of living near family and decided to move somewhere we wanted to live :).

.......but its nice to live in different regions. Italy is very diverse and each region gives its own experience.

First time was work. Second was to be near family. Third was we got tired of living near family and decided to move somewhere we wanted to live :).

.......but its nice to live in different regions. Italy is very diverse and each region gives its own experience.

Agreed. Awesome country.

• 2 years later...