You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Preston away

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers is building a proper footballing team, when we win we will win well and when we draw or loose we will still have had a lot of possession and hopefully created a lot of chances.

Last year was about getting the team playing his way, bow we have a group used of playing this way which will only get stronger and more fluid when more quality players are added.

Aspas-----------------suarez--------------------coutinho

-----------------------sturridge---------------------------

That front 4 would score 50-60 goals between them

Even if we sell Suarez we will have a very strong front 4. You can throw in Sterling or Alberto (or even Ibe) and you would have loads of pace, movement, creativity and goal threat.

Not sure how much we can really glean from that, but it was enjoyable anyway.

Nice to watch a warm up game without desperately trying to convince myself we're bound to play better once the season starts.

Alberto doesn't look quite as lightweight as i'd imagined and Aspas seems to be the player many were hoping Borini would be. I still reckon Borini'll come good though.

Not sure how much we can really glean from that' date=' but it was enjoyable anyway.

Nice to watch a warm up game without desperately trying to convince myself we're bound to play better once the season starts.

Alberto doesn't look quite as lightweight as i'd imagined and Aspas seems to be the player many were hoping Borini would be. I still reckon Borini'll come good though.[/quote']

Tries too hard borini. Needs to relax more.

I think he ll continue to be the target of many peoples frustration until he proves hes worth anything like 10m.

Not sure he is or ever will be

Looks like Alberto is gonna be a midfielder

Not sure about that.

He might have just been playing that position as we used two different XIs and didn't have Gerrard playing.

Both Alberto and Aspas look like they can play a number of different roles.

Aspas got me excited. I guess the Mirror scouting report was correct after all - he's like a mini Suarez with nutmegs, creativity, hard work ethic and a real goal threat.. Looking forward to seeing more of Iago!

Iago Aspas scouting report: get the lowdown on Liverpool's newest signing - David Cartlidge - Mirror Online

"Asked what his favourite moment as a Celta fan was he didn’t mention a goal, or assist, he recalled when Wagner infamously booted Diego Tristan in the air during a Galician derby."

"He’s a passionate character too, constantly muttering to himself when moving around the field and when against an opponent engaging in some exchanged words. It motivated him, psyched himself up."

"Aspas is seen as a Jekyll and Hyde character, so much so his ex-coach Herrera referred to him as part Messi and part monster."

.. haha I like him already.

Edited by YNWA-Viking

There is no point in reading anything into these games. They never prove anything.

Bang on, Robbie. They serve no purpose other than to provide an excuse for an early afternoon pint at a time when everyone's starved of football.

Friendlies do my nut in, but marginally less so than people who harp on about them and overstate their significance.

meh I don't think anyone takes much from friendlies but its just nice to be back on the pitch and when your sticking a few goals away even more so

Liked the look of Aspas and good for a forward to get a goal in his first game even if the keeper jumped out of the way of it, impressed by Ibe too and pleased for Sterling to get a goal and was looking more like he did at the start of last year, didn't really notice Alberto too much but he had a few decent moments and I reckon he'll play further forward once Stevie is back, also thought Pacheco looked decent but unlikely he will play any part next season

meh I don't think anyone takes much from friendlies but its just nice to be back on the pitch and when your sticking a few goals away even more so

Liked the look of Aspas and good for a forward to get a goal in his first game even if the keeper jumped out of the way of it, impressed by Ibe too and pleased for Sterling to get a goal and was looking more like he did at the start of last year, didn't really notice Alberto too much but he had a few decent moments and I reckon he'll play further forward once Stevie is back, also thought Pacheco looked decent but unlikely he will play any part next season

Agree, mate. Admittedly, I only glanced at the screen around ten times in 90 minutes, but it looked a good little run out. Liked Aspas' goal, even if their keeper made a tit of himself.

Oh, and John Welsh is looking rough as toast these days. Just thought that was worth adding.

Aspas got me excited. I guess the Mirror scouting report was correct after all - he's like a mini Suarez with nutmegs, creativity, hard work ethic and a real goal threat.. Looking forward to seeing more of Iago!

Iago Aspas scouting report: get the lowdown on Liverpool's newest signing - David Cartlidge - Mirror Online

"Asked what his favourite moment as a Celta fan was he didn’t mention a goal, or assist, he recalled when Wagner infamously booted Diego Tristan in the air during a Galician derby."

"He’s a passionate character too, constantly muttering to himself when moving around the field and when against an opponent engaging in some exchanged words. It motivated him, psyched himself up."

"Aspas is seen as a Jekyll and Hyde character, so much so his ex-coach Herrera referred to him as part Messi and part monster."

I love that!

Couldn't watch this live, but recorded it and watched it when I got in last night.

Thought we played really well. Didn't really give them a sniff.

All the newbies looked excellent. Hard to judge Mignolet as he didn't have much to do apart from one save.

Toure will be a decent option for us this season. Loved the way he dropped off to give Henderson and other midfield passing options. Like Agger, is very comfortable on the ball and can bring out and link with play beyond half way line.

Luis Alberto was impressive on the ball. Very clever player. Played some cracking through balls and his passing in general was mint. Should have scored when he had a chance. Massive upgrade on Shelvey.

Aspas was lively for every single minute he was on the pitch. Think he's going to be boss for us. Like Alberto, very clever player. His energy and work rate is infectious.

Other than the newbies, most were excellent. Ibe particularly looked very strong for a player so young. Sterling looked superb too. Will be good options to have on the bench. So good to see Kelly back. Lets hope he can stay injury free.

Only concerns for me was Borini, Skrtel and Allen.

Borini fluffed that easy chance. Just not confident that he will make it. Strange that he scored a couple of crackers for Italy U21's, but his confidence just disappears when he puts on a red shirt.

Skrtel was piss poor in the air a couple of times and conceded a stupid freekick near the end. I know it's only a friendly, but he did this last season too frequently. We need another dominant CB.

Allen gave the ball away quite a few times. Again, not sure what his role is in the team. Know he's only just come back, but worrying performance.