You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If there are no other incoming transfers, how would you deem our summer dealings?

WhiskeyJar

If there are no other incoming transfers, how would you deem our summer dealings?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. If there are no other incoming transfers, how would you deem our summer dealings?

• More of a success than failure. Definitely an improvement.
    • Definitely a failure. Got a bunch of unproven attacking talent.
    • Hold judgement until the end of the window, we'll see then.

I think it was a silly thread at the time but with the season about to get underway then it's worthy of debate. Clearly if we bring nobody else in then it will have been a woeful summer. I'm still clinging to the hope we can pull a few rabbits out of the hat. Lets face it were going to have to.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want an attacker to get excited about and a LB (if Skrtel is staying, if not a defender is needed too) I just dunno who or if we even will get another attacker in. Rodgers says he wants one, but isn't going to panic and buy any old shite, which is good, but we're still going to need that player come January, maybe it's worth taking a gamble on someone for 10-15 million? Prices will only go up in January and by then we might be playing catch up.

I feel we're a quality attacking addition away from challenging for top 4. A left back is also needed, but if Kelly can prove is fitness, worse comes to worse, Johnson can cover LB. I would like a quality centre half in too, but I'm willing to give Skrtel another 6-12 months.

I don't see the point in this thread to be honest.

It's like finishing your breakfast and then saying, 'if I have no more meals today how hungry will I be at the end of the day?' Nobody plans to purposely sell themselves short when it comes to eating and it's the same with us in the transfer market.

I don't see the point in this thread to be honest.

It's like finishing your breakfast and then saying, 'if I have no more meals today how hungry will I be at the end of the day?' Nobody plans to purposely sell themselves short when it comes to eating and it's the same with us in the transfer market.

I thought the same then I seen the date when the thread was started and it was a monumental shit thread 9 days into pre-season.

A completely pointless thread only serving to feed the negative frenzied ones who are never, ever happy with anything this club does.

Y'all 39 need to either:

a) Get laid.

b) Have a bacon and sausage butty with a coffee

c) toss one off a day till the transfer window shuts.

Its all starting to feel eerily like last season. Rodgers statements just starting to have a hint of desperation in them ( or exasperation) which I can see gradually turning into the madness of last year when we told anyone that would listen that to sell Carroll would be "crazy" and we had some goofy American sports shop actually selling Liverpool shirts with Dempseys name on them.

Never mind Ayre turning the lights off and going home- we should be loading him up with Red Bull and coffee an tieing him to his frigging chair.

The thinking was to give relief to the Summer Transfer Thread at the time and give posters something else to think about.

I know starting this thread at that time is definitely premature, it was just something else to talk about.

The fact however that we are edging close to the end of the transfer window with no other in-comings on the horizon, is indeed cause for concern.

We've been trying to get good players in according to the credible journos but we are having difficulty because of being out of Europe. We've missed out on Mkhitaryan and Costa. We have probably enquired about others and been rebuffed. We are now at the stage of having to swallow the bitter pill of signing players who are a fair way down the list, but are still better than what we have.

It does look like we are getting a good left back though, so that's something.

We have gone after young players, unsuccessfully for the most part--are there older players on the down-hill slide who could help the team in the short term?

Don't abandon the model--just one or two experienced vets who could make real contributions, if only in the short term, might help us get closer to fourth.

Or would they want too much in wages--one final big pay packet--to make it worthwhile?

We've missed out on Mkhitaryan and Costa.

We didn't actually get as far as putting a bid in for Mkhitaryan and didn't meet the release clause for Costa. I'm not too sure how serious we we're for either, whether we we're just interested in both in the event of Madrid coming in with an acceptable offer for Suarez?

Still a few weeks to go so we'll need to see how it plays out.

I'm not too disappointed without big name signings, it is legitimate to question whether we can attract them.

What I was expecting to see was a continuation of our early summer activity, with our transfer committe identifying and recruiting targets that add to the squad, offer potential and ideally can lead to us strengthen the first eleven. It really can't be a case of all the players out there either being CL only candidates or shit. This is where our scouting system should be earning their money.

It's just looks a bit, well, unplanned and desperate at the moment. It's depends how positive you are to judge if we've improved overall with our current summer activity. It's debatable.

It's a worry that the primary motive here from FSG now is simply live within our means and make us profitable e.g. cut wages, spend only what we raise through sales. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't seem to fit in with a team aiming for CL qualification any time soon.

We didn't actually get as far as putting a bid in for Mkhitaryan and didn't meet the release clause for Costa. I'm not too sure how serious we we're for either, whether we we're just interested in both in the event of Madrid coming in with an acceptable offer for Suarez?

Still a few weeks to go so we'll need to see how it plays out.

I'm not too disappointed without big name signings, it is legitimate to question whether we can attract them.

What I was expecting to see was a continuation of our early summer activity, with our transfer committe identifying and recruiting targets that add to the squad, offer potential and ideally can lead to us strengthen the first eleven. It really can't be a case of all the players out there either being CL only candidates or shit. This is where our scouting system should be earning their money.

It's just looks a bit, well, unplanned and desperate at the moment. It's depends how positive you are to judge if we've improved overall with our current summer activity. It's debatable.

It's a worry that the primary motive here from FSG now is simply live within our means and make us profitable e.g. cut wages, spend only what we raise through sales. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't seem to fit in with a team aiming for CL qualification any time soon.

I don't think CL means jack shit to them.

They have worldwide merch revenues, and copious amounts of TV money to repatriate.

Keep the mid table investment ticking over nicely.

Milky Milky.

Theydoneedno steenkin Championes League.

How much money are they taking from us last year and this?

Probably nothing last year since we spent just over £43m net. There would have been more savings on the wage bill but lets me honest here, that had to come down. We weren't getting value for how high it was.

This years different tho. We're making a profit so far and there's supposed to be a big new tv deal. Wage bill looks cut again. Stressing the words so far since there's a little under three weeks to go.

The wage bill did have to come down but it should be going up again with quality players that do give us value for money. Or else we'll continue to sit in 6th place at best.

I'd be interested to see the details of the payments the club is still making to some of the high earners we've let go in the last few windows. For instance Cole's departure was supposed to have cost us £3.6 million, I doubt the money was paid up in one lump sum.

Unfortunately it will take a few years for the financial wounds the club has inflicted on itself to heal. And, frustrating as it might seem, it's vitally important that the same mistakes aren't made again, no matter how desperate we fans are for top notch signings.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Probably nothing last year since we spent just over £43m net. There would have been more savings on the wage bill but lets me honest here, that had to come down. We weren't getting value for how high it was.

This years different tho. We're making a profit so far and there's supposed to be a big new tv deal. Wage bill looks cut again. Stressing the words so far since there's a little under three weeks to go.

The wage bill did have to come down but it should be going up again with quality players that do give us value for money. Or else we'll continue to sit in 6th place at best.

Transfer dealings aren't the only consideration in a global business like Liverpool's? They've not earned any profit from Liverpool. Not a penny.