You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This is the Chairperson of the NTSB who are looking into the accident.

She can investigate my undercarriage any time she wants.

Cirque Du Soleil: Fatal Accident | Video - ABC News

What a RiS up! I think this is what you were trying to post:

deb_hersman.jpg

Her name is Deborah Hersman. She looks like Lisa Cuddy (from House), or Octopussy (from the film Octopussy, funnily enough).

Mate of mine and his Wife were at the Airport shortly after the crash for a flight out of San Fran.

He uploaded some photos on Facebook of taking off with the crash scene in view of his window after being delayed for hours.

If that's not going to shit you up as you take off I dont know what will!!

I don't have a fear of flying, its crashing that i fear. I fucking hate take off, always feels like the plane is travelling too slow. had a fucking horrific flight back from Cyprus 10 years ago and ive hated it since. Fucker was bouncing around so bad we had seatbelts on all the way back, all the lights went out, luggage falling out of overhead lockers, the works.

He'd 47 hours on the 777, but he'd 9000 hours on others, mainly Boeing. The press will concentrate on it, but the 47 hours thing is not as big an issue as they are saying. It looks clear that he hit the TO/GAs far too late and had that tail strike, but that error would have happened on any other type he'd flown to. It's what lead to the need for such a late go around that will give the answers I'd have thought with the little info out there.

For the CEO of the airline to say it wasn't engine trouble was very premature and could come back to haunt him. It could end up being pilot error, but to hint to that so soon is wrong in my opinion.

One story developing is that one of the teenage girls that died may have survived the crash only to be run over by a fire truck :(

LA Times

Read that as well, I imagine pandemonium as people scrabbled to get off the plane.

As Juniper said about his mate taking off as the carcass of the 777 sat next to the runway must be a bit unnerving. It'll probably be there for a while as they do the investigation.

I hate landing where I live as the runway starts about 10m from the lake and you need to use most of the runway as there's a hill at the other end. It looks like you're going to ditch in the lake.

And the topper is they cut the drinkies off at Churchill and its another 3 hours of flying. Fuckers.

I don't have a fear of flying, its crashing that i fear. I fucking hate take off, always feels like the plane is travelling too slow. had a fucking horrific flight back from Cyprus 10 years ago and ive hated it since. Fucker was bouncing around so bad we had seatbelts on all the way back, all the lights went out, luggage falling out of overhead lockers, the works.

The day is coming that someone gets killed or severely concussed from stuffing 30lb carry-on luggage in the overheads. It's supposed to go under the seat but none of the mostly middle-aged women or smelly hippie backpackers who cart around oversized and overstuffed carry-on's listen to that and if the flight attendant says anything the get all sorts of bother for being rude.

Nothing worse than the backpackers or school trip fuckers. I almost missed a connection due to some fucking kitted out high school band going to Austria or some baroch classical place. At 530am they are checking in for an 630am departure on an international flight and trying to get as many instruments on carry on as possible. Like a fucking trombone is going to fit under a seat or above. At least the kid with the tuba (are they all alike-looking? Chubby and spotty?) put his on the weigh scale for baggage. And the fucker in charge was right out of Glee Club with a goddam bow tie. Anyway, after they get the 20 or so of them checked in (and another thing, why do all the Chinese girls play small instruments? They all had little flute cases.) the mother fucking parents are there to say goodbyes...before security. It's like 610am and they idiots aren't even near security.

I had to hold my tongue as I had my kid with me but the lack of foresight was stunning. Fucking bow tied band leader.

Backpackers as well-- great you spent a month in Laos and stink like a fucking chicken rotting in the sun and you're loaded down with prayer flags and Buddha jewellery. I don't want to hear about any of it (Christ I have had two of them and they're fucking chatty--- do I look like I want to chat about Laos or the Chang Pak Fuck Trail? No, this fat man wants to get a couple of tins in, read three pages of The Economist, which is good for putting me to sleep and hopefully wake up without contracting Dengue River Fever from El Scruffo sitting next to me).

The two best trans-Atlantic seat mates where this old Scottish lady who sounded like Mrs Doubtfire and a Moroccan fellow who pronounced the Louvre like Loover. As in when I'm in Paris I always visit the Loover. I spent half the flight trying to get him to say Hoover to see if he'd pronounce it Houvre but no luck. He was some fancy Moroccan curator or so he said.

Mrs Doubtfire snagged two of those airplane bottle of wine (the little ones) whilst the stewardess wasn't looking and stuffed them into the magazine holder thingy. She quaffed them and than we hit some minor turbulence but she needed the loo.... the stewardess told her to sit down but she was having none of it and got up and brushed by her. Stewardess glanced at me with a frown and I told her she's just my seat mate.

What a RiS up! I think this is what you were trying to post:

deb_hersman.jpg

Her name is Deborah Hersman. She looks like Lisa Cuddy (from House), or Octopussy (from the film Octopussy, funnily enough).

There are better photos of her but she's still attractive enough to cause me to have a vertical take off.

This. always feels like the plane hasn't enough speed or lift.

Fuck flying.

I found this post on another forum:

The runway they were landing on, 28L, is one of the two "main" runways at SFO. The number refers to the magnetic heading the runway is pointed with the last digit truncated, so "28" means the runway is pointed on a 280 degree magnetic heading, give or take a couple degrees. For parallel runways like what SFO has, L, C, and R denote left, center, and right in the same direction. SFO has two sets of two parallel runways, 10/28 Left and Right, and 1/19 Left and Right. The 1/19 runways are the "crosswind" runways for use when the winds shift or it's a busy day and you need to handle multiple approaches and departures at the same time.

Runway 28L is over 11,000 feet long, with a 300 ft. displaced threshold (that's the big white arrow at the end of the runway). Displaced thresholds can be used to take off but not to land; the landing zone starts at the thick white bars before the numbers painted on the pavement. In front of the displaced threshold, marked with yellow chevrons, is an overrun zone which is not intended to be used for takeoffs or landings. From the photos, the overrun zone looks to be about the same length as the displaced threshold, which means the plane landed short at least 600 feet.

According to the recorded meteorological reports (METARs), the weather was good and the airport was conducting visual operations, which means the pilots use their view out the cockpit window to approach and land. However, the NTSB is probably going to be investigating this Notice to Airmen (NOTAM):

06/005 (A1056/13) - NAV ILS RWY 28L GP U/S. 01 JUN 14:00 2013 UNTIL 22 AUG 23:59 2013. CREATED: 01 JUN 13:40 2013

The Instrument Landing System (ILS) for runway 28L has been out of service since June 1. What that means for a pilot flying is unclear right now; if the pilots were trying to use the ILS as supplementary guidance for their visual approach it may have simply not worked (red flag shows up on the panel and no information is given), or it may give erroneous information with no indication that the system is not working. I can see a situation (and this is PURE SPECULATION) with a flight crew with little experience flying into SFO, not checking the NOTAMs or forgetting them, flying the approach with an ILS giving false readings, getting distracted in the cockpit for one reason or another, and suddenly half the plane is floating in the bay.

I know a bloke who was on a flight when he started to smell smoke behind him and then saw a stewardess sprint, full-pelt, past him down the plane.

In that moment, I'd imagine it's less than relaxed.

Turned out one of the lights in the floor had singed out or a fuse had gone or something minor. No good when you need new undies though, is it?

well, one muscle relaxed then!

One story developing is that one of the teenage girls that died may have survived the crash only to be run over by a fire truck :(

LA Times

Their parents should start buying lottery tickets I reckon. Their luck's bound to change soon.

The names appear to mock the events of the crash. The prank names were: Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow.

Haha------- some tv station actually ran with this.

Deborah won't be happy with the intern, but you get what you pay for.

U.S. NTSB apologizes for gaffe over derogatory Asiana pilot names - The Globe and Mail

The names appear to mock the events of the crash. The prank names were: Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow.

Haha------- some tv station actually ran with this.

Deborah won't be happy with the intern, but you get what you pay for.

U.S. NTSB apologizes for gaffe over derogatory Asiana pilot names - The Globe and Mail