You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is no doubt the quality of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all together at the same time as all time greats of the game it has never been harder to win a slam and anyone that says otherwise is just being churlish.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all respect that is complete bollocks.

'Didn't want to be there' and yet came back from forty love when Murray is serving for the title and pushed him to the very end.

I don't even like Murray but he was simply brilliant today and after the semi Novak had he looked physically exhausted.

To question his commitment is bang out of order and does both him and Murray a disservice. Murray didn't win because Djokovic couldn't be arsed, he won because he outplayed the best player in the world.

Good point, mate. Going into the final game, I said to the missus that Djokovic looked like he wanted out asap, but he dug deep and wouldn't lie down. Murray frustrated him by being consistent after the first set. Losing the second set totally shook him and he never recovered.

Graphic during the broadcast said Murray was in the final of the last four grand-slams he's played in.

So however Djokovic played--and admittedly he didn't play anywhere near his normal standard in the first set I watched--Murray being there and winning isn't a fluke or undeserved.

Congrats to him.

Graphic during the broadcast said Murray was in the final of the last four grand-slams he's played in.

So however Djokovic played--and admittedly he didn't play anywhere near his normal standard in the first set I watched--Murray being there and winning isn't a fluke or undeserved.

Congrats to him.

Nobody has said it was a fluke or he didn't deserve to win because he did deserve it, Me personally said it was the worst performance I had seen from the number one rated player ever. More so the fact the simple mistakes he made. If you read the stats for the game it shows you that he made 40 unforced errors , while Murray done 21.

Plus his first serve was the worst I had seen from a top player as well and that's why Murray had so many break of serves as well.

It must of been fatigue as you could see he just couldn't get going and when he did it was only for about four games.

Just pointing out that he has consisently made major finals over the past two years. And all he can do is play the opponent in front of him.

I agree with the fatigue. It was so strange to watch. Del Potro is kind of an awkward player, and watching him vs. Djokovic in the semi only served to high-light how smooth a player the latter normally is.

Watching that first set today, I kept thinking "Djokovic looks like Del Potro--always a bit off balance, not getting his body into proper position, not hitting it as cleanly as he normally does."

Nobody has said it was a fluke or he didn't deserve to win because he did deserve it, Me personally said it was the worst performance I had seen from the number one rated player ever. More so the fact the simple mistakes he made. If you read the stats for the game it shows you that he made 40 unforced errors , while Murray done 21.

Plus his first serve was the worst I had seen from a top player as well and that's why Murray had so many break of serves as well.

It must of been fatigue as you could see he just couldn't get going and when he did it was only for about four games.

It probably was fatigue. But winning a Grand Slam means playing 7 games in 14 days so fatigue will inevitably play a part for both players in the final.

Murray has earned $30m since 2006' date=' flatlined that's $80k a week. Not heard anyone moaning that its too much for hitting a ball over a net.[/quote']

Thats because he's the second best player in the world at the moment so his earnings are more closely matched to his achievements and from which he has to contribute to his training/travel etc (with the bonus of sponsors money obviously). It's by no means an average wage for most tour players.

Footballers can earn 80/100k a week for signing for a relegated side for 6 months and having no standout talent.

Not sure tgeir are any parralels between the two.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

His Uncle was on Lorraine a while ago and said that he has donated his winnings. Which is superb. I watched the last set again this morning, and it was just brilliant from both players. I think the desire from Murray was what took him over the edge. Those last two games especially, Djokovic didn't do much wrong. It was all about Murray. Every shot Djokovic didn't do enough with was because Murray had hit the baseline or got the ball down to his fit. Brilliant tennis by the two top players in the world.

If the establishment want to give him a knighthood, at least wait until he's retired. Getting a knighthood while you're still doing whatever it is that got you recognised is a sure fire way to make you take your foot off the gas or become a sicknote.

Djokovic was poor today, but still has the ability to win games when not playing well. Murray played well, but still has the ability to drag things out much more than is necessary. Still, he won, and now we will be forced to spend the next week listening to dickheads falling over themselves to tell everyone where they were when Murray won Wimbledon.

Barely twenty four hours since his match started and..................

David Cameron 'can't think of anyone' who deserves a knighthood more than Andy Murray. How depressing – Telegraph Blogs

He got an OBE in the New Year, and convention says that there has to be at least five years between honours, so he wouldn't be eligible for a knighthood until 2018 at the earliest anyway. You would think the Prime Minister of all people would know that.

Not at all, he was abysmal, looked like he didn't want to be there and those drop shots were excruciatingly bad, bordering on comedy. Murray was excellent and I take nothing away from him but Djokovic was shocking.

Some of the drop shots were superb. At the latter stages, not so much.

I think they probably stemmed from Djokovic feeling it wasn't his day and wanted to change his game a little. So much depends on the first serve these days.

I think it was a deserved victory for Murray in the end, but he got really lucky with some crucial points early on.