You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

Not that I want to jump on the comparing band wagon, but for those of us watching it on the telly they showed a graphic telling that Walters had put four out of the five last penalties in the exact same corner (the fifth had hit the crossbar) and Mignolet even admitted that was the reason he saved it so why the hell wouldn't Pepe have saved it?

even if a player does hit it to the same side nearly all the time there is still some psychological decisions for the keeper to make, he could be thinking that maybe the taker is aware keepers might be on to him now and swap sides etc, and even going the right way is no guarantee of a save

Lets keep sense of perspective. Mignolet did OK yesterday. He was shaky under the high ball , his kicking and distribution was not a patch on Reina's. If it wasn't for a good reaction save and keeping out a pretty poorly struck pen there would be plenty on here slagging him off. That said he did step up when required and he does seem and genuine guy with talent. I just hope those singing his praises won't be baying for blood when he makes a few inevitable fuck ups that cost us points. He is on a steep learning curve and will need people to cut him a bit of slack. Dodgy old business changing keepers and whilst we had little choice to get someone in given the noises coming form Reinas camp I would have preferred we spent big on Begovic at the time but we are where we are and yesterdays game should give Mignolet plenty of encouragement.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Watched the game back today, after downloading it in HD (watched a shitty stream yesterday). Mignolet was nowhere near as bad as is being made out by some. One or two things at the beginning, due to nerves most likely. The rest was either good or fucking good.

Watched the game back today, after downloading it in HD (watched a shitty stream yesterday). Mignolet was nowhere near as bad as is being made out by some. One or two things at the beginning, due to nerves most likely. The rest was either good or fucking good.

Yeah he was just a bit nervous, not a big deal. He made some great saves.

Seriously, judging any of our players on any level after the first day of the season - against Stoke especially - is completely moronic. I find it odd that after (and during) a great performance and a fantastic win, people were on here arguing about Pepe Reina! Just enjoy it for gods sake!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Seriously, judging any of our players on any level after the first day of the season - against Stoke especially - is completely moronic. I find it odd that after (and during) a great performance and a fantastic win, people were on here arguing about Pepe Reina! Just enjoy it for gods sake!

I'm over the moon that we won. Getting the points is all that counts. Plus, the time your keeper is most important is what your attackers aren't putting their chances away and when there's a narrow lead. That's when they earn points. 6-0, 6-1, it doesn't make much difference. 1-0, 1-1, that makes a difference.

Fluffed a few corners and crosses but we have to remember he's jumping with someone that's taller than him in crouch and that doesn't happen everyday. No doubt that there's something there to be improved, but its okay for a debut.

Crouch doesn't really come into it for the mistake Mignolet made at the start. He just miscalculated the flight of the ball, and it went over him.

He was clearly very nervous at the start, which is totally understandable.

Theres a select few on this board who can't accept that Pepe is nowhere near what he once was and will look to pounce on any hint of a Mignolet error imo

For what it's worth, since the obvious sometimes needs to be stated, I was judging his performance yesterday, not predicting the success or otherwise of his career at Liverpool. I didn't see much of him at Sunderland and don't read too much into pre-season games. So, first impressions, that's all...

I get rather tired of that "give the new lad a chance" response when someone simply points out (debatably, of course) that they didn't play well. It doesn't follow from from my saying that "x didn't play very well" that I believe "x is shit and will fail".

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you're meaning anything I said, I knew that. I thought your comment was harsh. That's it. Don't really care, just commented. Of course you're not writing him off after 20 minutes and two mistakes, one of which wasn't really his fault. That'd be mental.

Seriously, judging any of our players on any level after the first day of the season - against Stoke especially - is completely moronic.

If you're meaning anything I said, I knew that. I thought your comment was harsh. That's it. Don't really care, just commented. Of course you're not writing him off after 20 minutes and two mistakes, one of which wasn't really his fault. That'd be mental.

No, NV. I had FEG's post in mind.

And my comment was harsh. But that's what a day in the pub watching footie does to me...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, NV. I had FEG's post in mind.

And my comment was harsh. But that's what a day in the pub watching footie does to me...

Ah, in which case, as you were.

*blank stare*

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

I'm over the moon that we won. Getting the points is all that counts. Plus, the time your keeper is most important is what your attackers aren't putting their chances away and when there's a narrow lead. That's when they earn points. 6-0, 6-1, it doesn't make much difference. 1-0, 1-1, that makes a difference.

Wasn't referring to you NV, I know you were happy we won. I think everybody was actually, but just find it odd that people get caught up in meaningless discussions when they should've been having a pint!

Theres a select few on this board who can't accept that Pepe is nowhere near what he once was and will look to pounce on any hint of a Mignolet error imo

I think that will happen a lot this year, doesnt make much sense to me to be honest. Whether Pepe is better or not, he isn't our keeper this year and its a meaningless discussion.

For what it's worth, since the obvious sometimes needs to be stated, I was judging his performance yesterday, not predicting the success or otherwise of his career at Liverpool. I didn't see much of him at Sunderland and don't read too much into pre-season games. So, first impressions, that's all...

I get rather tired of that "give the new lad a chance" response when someone simply points out (debatably, of course) that they didn't play well. It doesn't follow from from my saying that "x didn't play very well" that I believe "x is shit and will fail".

My post wasn't in response to yours (or anybody's in particular...I just remember scrolling through the thread last night) but yeah of course. I think he was very nervy yesterday too (towards the start) but hopefully that will pass.

That's the thing with Begovic he will be outstanding for part of the season say a third of it , but the rest utter crap.

When he is good he probably is the best around but he is to inconsistent.

Abysmal post, pure fantasy.

If you are taking the piss somehow, my apologies, if you really believe what you have typed there then you need help.

I thought he looked really dodgy apart from shot stopping. Looked really bad on crosses. Hopefully just nerves.

Won us the game in the end, though.

Agree with this, hopefully it was just nerves.

If that had been Reina yesterday, the posts on here would be completely different.

Agree with this, hopefully it was just nerves.

If that had been Reina yesterday, the posts on here would be completely different.

because Reina has been dodgy for the last couple of years, Mignolet had reasons to be nervous and even saying that he had about 3 dodgy moments and after that was the same Mignolet who was so good for Sunderland last year

MOre like a select few who are awaiting any criticism of their beloved Mignolet, hands on keyboards ready to set right anyone who dares say anything against Mignolet, at the very least there better be no one even thinking to mention Pepe unkless its derogatory given he is now person non grata how dare he say anything critical of anyone at the club the napoli fuck.

I hope his fuckin wife dies if he ever Barca bash his arse.

MOre like a select few who are awaiting any criticism of their beloved Mignolet, hands on keyboards ready to set right anyone who dares say anything against Mignolet, at the very least there better be no one even thinking to mention Pepe unkless its derogatory given he is now person non grata how dare he say anything critical of anyone at the club the napoli fuck.

I hope his fuckin wife dies if he ever Barca bash his arse.

2235_dr_evil_right_thumb.jpg